House Price Crash Forum

Wikipedia

HOLA441
Sorry, agree with deletion. HPC is non-notable.

3rded or whatever. This place is getting a bit self important for my liking.

The site is self explanatory and can easily be found by any web search. Listing in a factually corrupt "encyclopaedia" is irrelevant.

HOLA442

Not bothered either way. Wikipedia's loss. Incidently I am starting to see more and more errors occuring on wikipedia. Not as many as Symo's GF who had one student argue with her that "..but it said so on wikipedia!". Pity that she wrote one of the definitive texts. :D

HOLA443
HOLA444

Keep dragging this thread up, but couldn't we just provide a link to this page:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=24

There are over 150 links to different articles in the MSM.. while it may not alter what appears to be an emotively driven deletion request, it does at least demonstrate that HPC is well referenced and widely acknowledged by the media.

If it still gets deleted, it will not be because sufficient evidence was not provided.

Edited by libspero

HOLA445
FP is not the owner, however he has been quoted in media as owner....

Fubra is the owner of HPC

http://www.fubra.com/

Well if they are they dont even include HPC in their portfolio section.

Who cares about wikipedia? Good points earlier, power in the "web" is just about links. If someone wants to know about HPC, they can come straight here. How many people read a wikipedia article about a website before going there?

On that note, the front page could be cleaned up a bit...

After today's posts about FP, if HPC really does want to take itself seriously as some political entity, the front page should at least try and reflect that with more professional design etc. At the moment its, well.. spammy, in my opinion. Something tells me this is a foolish idea though, delusions of grandeur. The site does just fine, and serves its purpose (now its working, well done techies).

Edited by Fraccy

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&a...earch&meta=

not too many links to hpc according to google. Odd.

The link: command in Google doesn't work properly. Though some may arguethat Google don't want it to work properly, as they don't want people to know who is linking to their sites.

The linkdomain: command on Yahoo will show a lot more links.

linkdomain:www.housepricecrash.co.uk

However my earlier point about Wikipedia. A lot of people on this forum post links to other resources. Fubra to their credit don't "nofollow" these links.

Wikipedia in their citations to sources "nofollow" the links. This is a kind of instruction to the Googlebot, not to follow or crawl the link, so they don't get any page rank benefit from the link, though of course the source sites may in fact get direct traffic from Wikipedia.

"nofollow" links will however be crawled by MSN and Yahoo. If you get the SEO plugin for Firefox you'll see what I mean as it will show up "nofollow" links on websites.

HOLA449
Well if they are they dont even include HPC in their portfolio section.

Who cares about wikipedia? Good points earlier, power in the "web" is just about links. If someone wants to know about HPC, they can come straight here. How many people read a wikipedia article about a website before going there?

On that note, the front page could be cleaned up a bit...

After today's posts about FP, if HPC really does want to take itself seriously as some political entity, the front page should at least try and reflect that with more professional design etc. At the moment its, well.. spammy, in my opinion. Something tells me this is a foolish idea though, delusions of grandeur. The site does just fine, and serves its purpose (now its working, well done techies).

quite ;p it was bought off 'webmaster', around the forum split into here and the other place.

HOLA4410

I hope this isn't considered spamming your forum. I'm the founder of MyWikiBiz, which might be of interest to your forum's discussion, from several angles. First, MyWikiBiz is a destination for entities who have been rejected by Wikipedia, for example... the Pittsburg Bulldogs. You're welcome to create a link-infested article about House Price Crash there on MyWikiBiz. Second, MyWikiBiz -- as an article on Wikipedia -- was created, then deleted, then re-created, then deleted again, then (after some time) was re-created once again. But this most recent time it was authored by a known, influential Wikipedia administrator. That means there was no accusation of "conflict of interest", plus he was keenly familiar with what will stand versus what will get axed. So now there's an article within Wikipedia about MyWikiBiz, even though this makes a handful of self-important, disgruntled Wikipedia admins FURIOUS!

Finally, I notice that you guys are echoing many of the same sentiments expressed by critics of Wikipedia at WikipediaReview.com. I'd welcome any of you to join that forum, as we've already started a topic about you!

Kindly,

Greg

HOLA4411

I'll second that. I was a contributor to HPC last year, but stopped after it became obvious the crash was going to happen (I never read the end of stories). I still read HPC every day, and it was I who spotted this thread, and posted about it on Wikipedia Review. I can recommend both WR and MyWikiBiz, and I contribute to both.

As an ex-editor at Wikipedia I would have supported the HPC article at the deletion review, unfortunately have had a 'bust up' there, and have withdrawn my account for the time being.

Best wishes to all at HPC - I remember Injun, for what it's worth.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I don't care about link juice or whatever, I just think that HPC is a noteworthy subject no matter what crush the nominator has on Kirsty Allsop (look at the link in his original reason).

that right there is the problem.

massive business so interlinked with state control.

but you couldn't care.

set up your own wiki, the sheelple won't care.

HOLA4416
Although I hve my own opinions on the AfD nomination, the admin is not a Dr Who obsessed teenager (although I can see why people thought that) but a Royal Navy man. So he's British and over 18. He does seem a bit touchy on the Kirstie Allsop front, however, which I find odd.

Really? Someone ought to tell the Wikipedia admins that Davros doesn't really exist (wikipedia is number one on Google.co.uk for the search term "davros"). He's a fictional character. Pretty soon they will be number one for almost anything else you type in and they have got an article on.

Dont' really care about Wikipedia but if you want to promote your business on Wikipedia just lie about your turnover and number of employees and inflate your claims. After all that what everyone else does and wikipedia admins are not likely to go to Companies House to check. But there are entries on Wikipedia that are purely the inventions of some PR department that have whistled straight in under the wiki admins noses.

Plenty of other Web 2.0 sites where you could write an article about HPC and get a decent "dofollow" backlink as a result.

Indeed I'm glad someone has made a plugin for Wordpress ( a popular Blog engine) that "nofollows" any links you make in a blog post to Wikipedia.

http://whatjapanthinks.com/wikipedia-nofollow/

Third, a lot of blogs link to Wikipedia as an easy reference point for various terms, so with no outgoing links from Wikipedia, search engines will raise Wikipedia even higher in the ratings. With the rumours that Wikipedia may soon start accepting advertisements, one could even conclude that this is not much more than an attempt to boost their revenue.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Price_Crash

The site was established to collate and disseminate economic literature with specific regard to property in the UK and globally. It is a forum for UK "property bears" to debate the issues arising from the house price bubble.[7] Other issues discussed in depth include the credit crunch and its possible repercussions, the bull run in the price of gold and the "sub-prime" crisis in America.

But only in a sub-forum for the crazies?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The main goal seems to be to paint the page as advertising for a private company from which FP is paid a salary.

Wiki's main criteria for removing pages is to remove "advertising" so the people pushing this are deliberately using this as thier angle of attack.

Purpose to remove advertising link

It is worth pointing out that Jonathan Davies represents the page/forum without reward and is infact a democratically elected media representative by members of the forum who themselves contribute to the page without comercial gain.

As elected media representitive for the page, when he is interviewed as such he is speaking for the page, that should make the page notable.

Trivial coverage, such as (1) newspaper articles that simply report the Internet address, (2) newspaper articles that simply report the times at which such content is updated or made available, (3) a brief summary of the nature of the content or the publication of Internet addresses and site or (4) content descriptions in Internet directories or online stores.

The interviews and articles do more than mention the link. They express views and the views of the website are recorded on record. This makes it non-trivial.. surely!

Plus, 150+ media mentions/interviews etc is hardly "in passing"

HOLA4421
HOLA4422