House Price Crash Forum

House Prices In Scotand - On The Increase!

What I have seen is that the good stuff is still selling slowly (although not for 2007) prices, and the poorer stuff is sticking at any price. A lot of downsizing going on as well; people who sold their townhouse in Edinburgh last year are moving to a smaller place in a cheaper area (e.g. Fife).

Scotland is still 6-9 months behind England and there is a still a state of denial about the housing market. However, local small to medium sized businesses I deal with are reporting a drop off in demand. The more exposure to consumers the business has, the bigger the decline.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7556887.stm

Q2 figures show a 1.6% increase and an annual increase of over 9%. Interesting stuff. So although there were less transactions people are still buying at top whack prices. Anyone care to comment? Increases at this point in time?

In Edinburgh there is always a rise in Q2, and this year was no exception, but the year-on-year rise in Edinburgh is just 2.6% according to the ESPC’s own figures. Prior to that, the averages were falling for each of the previous three quarters.

It seems that Scotland is at least nine months behind the areas of England and Wales where significant falls have already taken place.

Please see the Scotland subforum for endless discussion of this …

What I have seen is that the good stuff is still selling slowly (although not for 2007) prices, and the poorer stuff is sticking at any price. A lot of downsizing going on as well; people who sold their townhouse in Edinburgh last year are moving to a smaller place in a cheaper area (e.g. Fife).

Scotland is still 6-9 months behind England and there is a still a state of denial about the housing market. However, local small to medium sized businesses I deal with are reporting a drop off in demand. The more exposure to consumers the business has, the bigger the decline.

According to article Scotland is 10% HIGHER than 2007 price

According to article Scotland is 10% HIGHER than 2007 price

Yes, I read that. In Scotland things are different though. In the boom times, the 'asking price' was often way below the selling price (due to the offers over system). Now many are selling for fixed price, where a higher initial price is set, and the property is actually sold for something close to that figure.

Don't know if they take that into account but I am seeing LOADS more fixed price and even then, they languish on the market for much longer.