House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teg

Renting - Newbury, Berkshire

Long time reader but only just registered today. I have been offered (and accepted) a new job based in Newbury.

I am now looking to rent a flat or house within the walking distance of the town centre. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first jump back into the rental market since I was at University over four years ago. (Yep - been living at home with parents since then)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Teg

Long time reader but only just registered today. I have been offered (and accepted) a new job based in Newbury.

I am now looking to rent a flat or house within the walking distance of the town centre. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first jump back into the rental market since I was at University over four years ago. (Yep - been living at home with parents since then)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Teg

You will no doubt be working for Vodafone then....!

Do you want to live alone or not? can you afford to live alone once you add council tax, energy bills, telephone etc. if not house share is the better option, if you can then rent a place through one of the local agents. Dreweatt Neate tend to behave themselves and Hamptons (I just rented through them) have a good local rental arm so do Carter Jones I had some fun in the past with Humberts and would personally avoid them.

rightmove is still probably the best website to find rentals in the area

Hope that helps

Edited by Matt Henson

I have lived in Newbury and surrounding areas since the 1970s. Is is a nice market town, if getting a bit overdeveloped recently.

Generally the West side of Newbury is much better (safer, quieter, better facilities), than the East side. Places around St John's roundabout or Speen/Speenhamland, the Andover Road, Enborne Road, and Northcroft are the best. Avoid anything near Thatcham, such as Turnpike or beyond Stroud Green. Basically stay on the high street side of the old A34. For ultimate convenience there are lots of 2 bed houses down at West Mills in a nice quiet area close to the centre.

My brother works in Vodafone and lives in a run-down modern 2 bed flat near Stroud Green. I live in a 3 bed detached house with acreage, towards Hungerford. I pay much less rent than he does and I can to drive to the offices in almost the same time. What I am saying is that Newbury is much more expensive than the beautiful villages nearby. Most 20-somethings want to be staggering distance home from the town centre, whereas the older people want space, quiet and a local pub. You take your choice. If I was young again I'd choose Speen.