House Price Crash Forum

Has Anyone Tried To Rip You Off Recently?

HOLA441
a fat woman asked me for 20p to make a phone call the other day.

You should have made her dance for you to earn it.

I got asked by some skanky whore for a cigarette the other day (I have a policy of never giving anyone random stranger a cigarette ever). I said no, and then she wails "I'M IN DISTRESS". I said, "you'd better go buy yourself some cigarettes then", then I got called a '*****' so called her an 'aids riddled c**t bag' and walked away.

Edited by JohnnyB

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
One of things that used to annoy me the most during the times I have lived in Madrid was people trying to rip me off because I was foreign. I speak very good Spanish indeed, but because I first learnt Spanish at 18, I have an accent while speaking the language and I always will, so people know that I am a foreigner when I speak. After a while it actually became funny, because I could spot when people were about to quote me a price 3 times what it should have been before they even opened their mouths. Firstly, they would be over 45-50 in age, meaning that they learnt their business practices in the old days (and some in the Franco years). The other thing was their body language: they would listen to what I said, pause for a while, then look me up and down and start with the word “Pues…”. That would be my cue to leave. A few times returning home from the airport, I would get taxi drivers turning off their meters a few yards before he stopped outside my house and then claim that the meter said something about twice what it did. My response was always to say “There is a police station two streets away. If you wish we can discuss how much it should cost from the airport to my house there. Otherwise, here is the money which I normally get charged for the trip”.

My friends told me that it was a relic of the well-known madrileño propensity of the old days to getting the financial “pelotazo” (for those who don’t speak the language, this is a slang use of a slang word. A pelotazo is a drink – usually spirit-based – which is mixed so strong that it gets you drunk all in one go, so you don’t “need” another. The financial equivalent is getting rich all in one go so that you don’t have to work again). The sense that a foreigner was rich and stupid came about from years and years of devaluing their own currency to stay competitive. Any foreigner in the old days therefore always seemed to have a lot of money and never seemed to know what the price of anything was.

Anyway, it wasn’t that common, and you would never see it from anyone under 45 years old or from women, but it did get my goat every so often.

I'm currently living in africa (job reasons) and that is the exact mentality they have here. When you go to buy anything and ask the price the is always a pause whilst they try and figure out how much they can get away with asking..

We pay more to rent a house here than you would do in the UK and the influx of foreign workers has led to a mini housing boom as people throw up new builds in the hope of making their fortune from some rich aid worker..

In fact, it kind of reminds me of blighty tbh :P

HOLA443
HOLA444
There was the case of my mother pranging another woman's car last year.

Oh, except it was in fact the other woman who reversed into my mother's car while my mother was in the process of getting into it and hadn't even started the engine.

Said woman was very apologetic but somehow by the time it reached the insurance stage, the story had morphed into how my mother had driven straight into the other woman's car. It escalated and escalated with increasingly threatening letters from the other woman's insurers, demanding more and more money for compensation as time went by. When it finally went to court my mother had photos of the damage to her car, which clearly indicated that something had collided with the side - unless she'd slid the car along the road sideways, it was pretty clear to anyone that the other car had driven into the side of her. Funnily enough, they backed down without a squeak after that.

It seems the car was some form of company car of the woman's husband's. It also sounds suspiciously like she wasn't insured to drive it. And just to top it off, it seems he worked for the local council.

The grief and stress they put my mother through... Scum.

Its our advesarial legal system; a kind of updated mediaeval trial by combat that works just great for those with the resources to hire barristers and QC's such as councils, insurance companies, social services etc.

Make no mistake, when you go to court it is not about finding out the truth or facts, you are going in to battle.

HOLA445
You should have made her dance for you to earn it.

I got asked by some skanky whore for a cigarette the other day (I have a policy of never giving anyone random stranger a cigarette ever). I said no, and then she wails "I'M IN DISTRESS". I said, "you'd better go buy yourself some cigarettes then", then I got called a '*****' so called her an 'aids riddled c**t bag' and walked away.

You sounds really nice. Any chance of a fag by the way?

HOLA446
Oh yes, I seem to get cold calls from Npower every so often, despite telling them to piss off. I was doorstepped a couple of months back by three goons, and they only left the front door at the third time I told them I was not interested.

Ah...that lot...unfortunately we had to go with them a few weeks back to fix our gas prices at a reasonable rate for 12 months, something I said I would never do after my experience with a couple of their "salesmen" a few years ago. Came to my house; asked if I wanted to change; I politely said no thank you and started to close the door. At this point one of them tried to force the door open (not just sticking his foot in the door), whereupon I had to use my shoulder to lean against the door against him to shut it (I kid you not). I couldn't believe it. What happens to little old ladies with these sorts of thugs? Went to the regulator's web site to lodge a complaint, but they would do nothing until I could prove I had gone through Npower's complaints procedure. Strangely, getting proof that I had lodged a complaint with Npower was more or less impossible, as they never responded to anything.

One wonders what goes on in their sales force training seminars?

HOLA447
You sounds really nice. Any chance of a fag by the way?

Being asked for a fag by total strangers is one of my pet peeves, even worse is when they get the **** because you won't give them what they want. You wouldn't just walk up to someone and ask for a bite of their sandwich.

HOLA448

My friend bought a round of drinks from the bar for £8, when I bought the same round minus 1 drink I was charged £11. Returned to the bar and they had made a 'mistake'.

Private taxi drivers seem to have been issued with different scales (same firm). I make the same journey weekly and get different amounts each time.

Have had two parking tickets, one in a garage forecourt, one in a restaurant car park. Both were issued by the same private parking company. Complained to restaurant and to garage head office and refused to pay. One of them exploded to £771.00 with additional charges of £3 per day. Got OFT involved, and requested the parking scumbags tell me what Statutes or Regulations they would rely on in Court. Haven't heard anything for 6 months. This is a scam and is unenforceable (despite their threats).

Being approached by an increasing number of druggies daily, wanting 30p for the bus fare to see their partner in the hospital.

The usual car insurance rip off - shop around, and make sure you stress that you want the bare bones (no additional legal cover etc)

Postcode rip off with home insurance

Motorway Services prices hyped up even more (they know you have no choice) - I now come off motorway and use nearby supermarket restaurants (bib stores just off motorway)

Bought shares at £1.86 and charged £1.96 by Gnatwest

Had shares stolen by the Govt in February (Northern Rock)

Garage tried to charge £65 to change a battery in my key fob - reduced to £30!!!

Petrol

Guinness

Tobacco

Food hike

More work, no pay rise

Schools requiring up to £10 per week to subsidise educational day trips

Gave to Cancer Research for years, now drugs too expensive for NHS to treat my uncle

Train prices yoy!!!!

Virgin - loyal customer for 4 years, paying £25 per month, won't answer calls to change slow 1Mb Modem or reduce to new tarriff rates. Even applied online. Also £5 non DD fee, reduced to £1.50 after threat to cancel. 2 x £10 late payment fees waived

Bank Charges when wages go in a nanosecond after a payment

Tesco prices different by region - why?

Retailers - less customers, higher margins

Football Season Ticket (reducing)!!!! Still out of the budget for the first time in 7 years though

Sent my son into shop to make his very first purchase (sweets) and came back 20p short!!!!

I could go on...

HOLA449

HOW about this one today. i went to the local skip hire last weekend to hire a skip for monday and was quoted £150 for the skip so i says yes and asked for it 12noon monday.

The skip turns up on time and the next thing the driver tells me he has to charge me a extra £30 because he cant put it on the garden and has to put it on the verge and the coucil requires a permit that costs the £30 so i had to pay.

This morning sat here reading this i decided to phone the council and ask if they had issued a permit for my address and guess what there has been no permit issued in my name and the council are coming out to see the skip then are contacting the skip cpmpany. The robbing basterd have been keeping the permit money and not telling the council....... :P

HOLA4410
Ah...that lot...unfortunately we had to go with them a few weeks back to fix our gas prices at a reasonable rate for 12 months, something I said I would never do after my experience with a couple of their "salesmen" a few years ago. Came to my house; asked if I wanted to change; I politely said no thank you and started to close the door. At this point one of them tried to force the door open (not just sticking his foot in the door), whereupon I had to use my shoulder to lean against the door against him to shut it (I kid you not). I couldn't believe it. What happens to little old ladies with these sorts of thugs? Went to the regulator's web site to lodge a complaint, but they would do nothing until I could prove I had gone through Npower's complaints procedure. Strangely, getting proof that I had lodged a complaint with Npower was more or less impossible, as they never responded to anything.

One wonders what goes on in their sales force training seminars?

I've had something similar with Scottish Power. The first guy was so shifty I thought it was one of those "guy at the front keeps you talking while someone nips round the back to steal something" type setups, so I reported it to the police. They said they'd heard this sort of thing going on before and that it was usually genuine but that the salesmen were notorious for shifty and forceful behaviour.

The next time round, next dodgy character, I contacted Scottish Power directly and they said it was against company policy to do this sort of thing and apologised.

If it happens again, I'm going to get the guy to wait on the doorstep while I "get my bill" and then fetch my camera instead. And then I'll email them his pic and his name and tell them to get him the ****** off my doorstep and preferably fire him too.

HOLA4411
There is a road Traffic act that stipulates you must have 3rd party insurance to drive on a public road - think about it......... you are left disabled when a negligent driver smashes you up.... you have to be able to claim - its to protect everyone on the road.

Law RTA 1988 sects 45, 47, 49 & 53]

Or you could have a government scheme designed to reduce waste. NZ had a scheme for victims of crime some time back to stop these sorts of claims clogging up the courts. You applied for compensation, provided evidence, and they sent you a cheque - no lawyers involved (or at least a significantly reduced number). now, I'm not saying that this is any better than insurance, but to think that private insurance is the only way to deal with these sorts of things is to remove many other possibilities.

HOLA4412
Motorway Services prices hyped up even more (they know you have no choice) - I now come off motorway and use nearby supermarket restaurants (bib stores just off motorway)

There's a handy website for non-motorway places just off the motorways...can't remember what it's called though.

HOLA4413
Being asked for a fag by total strangers is one of my pet peeves, even worse is when they get the **** because you won't give them what they want. You wouldn't just walk up to someone and ask for a bite of their sandwich.

I bet that fat lady who wanted 20p would.

HOLA4414
<snip>

Is it very fair though, who reads through all this stuff..............insurance is a very nasty biz

No one forces you to take out insurance. So why complain about it being 'nasty' ?

(other than 3rd party car insurance, but that is only required if youy CHOOSE to drive a car)

Insurance provides a service to manage risk for people. It can only be fairly priced if people are honest. If people are not honest and it is not checked, then honest people are charged higher premiums to subsidise the dishonest. This is not reasonable. Hence insurance companies try to ensure that people are honest and so price it correctly. If people are dishonest then the insurance company doesn't cover them. What is nasty about any of this?

HOLA4415
I've had something similar with Scottish Power. The first guy was so shifty I thought it was one of those "guy at the front keeps you talking while someone nips round the back to steal something" type setups, so I reported it to the police. They said they'd heard this sort of thing going on before and that it was usually genuine but that the salesmen were notorious for shifty and forceful behaviour.

The next time round, next dodgy character, I contacted Scottish Power directly and they said it was against company policy to do this sort of thing and apologised.

If it happens again, I'm going to get the guy to wait on the doorstep while I "get my bill" and then fetch my camera instead. And then I'll email them his pic and his name and tell them to get him the ****** off my doorstep and preferably fire him too.

I had someone from some power company (not sure which, but it wasn't Eon, my current provider) trying to get me to switch. I just told them the electric is paid for by the landlord and included in my rent, they usually leave you alone in that case.

HOLA4416
What is nasty about any of this?

I think it's the bit where they try anything to avoid coughing up when the honest and genuine claims come in. I remember years back a friend having his car stolen, joyridden and torched, and he was fuming when the insurers would only give him something like 50% of its market value.

HOLA4417
No one forces you to take out insurance. So why complain about it being 'nasty' ?

(other than 3rd party car insurance, but that is only required if youy CHOOSE to drive a car)

Retarded. If I punch you when you open your front door and you know I am will punch you are you choocing to be punched in the face when you try to leave the house?

Or am I just a git who is punching you?

I hate idiots who make victims responsible for the crimes inflicted on them like you are trying to do here, it's downright evil. Knock it off.

You don't need insurance anyway.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Ah...that lot...unfortunately we had to go with them a few weeks back to fix our gas prices at a reasonable rate for 12 months, something I said I would never do after my experience with a couple of their "salesmen" a few years ago. Came to my house; asked if I wanted to change; I politely said no thank you and started to close the door. At this point one of them tried to force the door open (not just sticking his foot in the door), whereupon I had to use my shoulder to lean against the door against him to shut it (I kid you not). I couldn't believe it. What happens to little old ladies with these sorts of thugs?

That foot-in-the-door stuff is totally out of order.

HOLA4420

Fair enough. But I have never been abused for politely but firmly telling someone that they cant have my stuff. I have on occasion scrounged a fag off a stranger and allowed them to be scrounged depending on my mood, but each to their own.

HOLA4421
Fair enough. But I have never been abused for politely but firmly telling someone that they cant have my stuff. I have on occasion scrounged a fag off a stranger and allowed them to be scrounged depending on my mood, but each to their own.

If I was the type to scrounge fags off others, then i'd probably be more willing to give up my own. But I always ensure I have enough tobacco for whatever i'm doing. I just hate when people say stupid things like 'i'm distressed' as if that will suddenly make me change my mind. I'm guessing some punter hadn't paid her for a blowjob or something, but it ain't my problem.

HOLA4422
I had someone from some power company (not sure which, but it wasn't Eon, my current provider) trying to get me to switch. I just told them the electric is paid for by the landlord and included in my rent, they usually leave you alone in that case.

Yep, that's what I do and it works a treat. "Sorry, tenancy agreement says I can't..."

And I think it does state that... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Q

HOLA4423

Insurance provides a service to manage risk for people. It can only be fairly priced if people are honest. If people are not honest and it is not checked, then honest people are charged higher premiums to subsidise the dishonest. This is not reasonable. Hence insurance companies try to ensure that people are honest and so price it correctly. If people are dishonest then the insurance company doesn't cover them. What is nasty about any of this?

Clearly you know nothing about Insurance - Employers Liability Insurance, Public Liability Insurance, Contract Works Insurance etc.....the list of Commercial type insurances that are required are endless......... if you don't have a clue about a subject don't bother posting on an open forum to confuse and misguide others...... yes insurance does provide a service for people to manage risk - you got that bit right............... try working in insurance for years and you might see a few nasty things about it.

I think it's the bit where they try anything to avoid coughing up when the honest and genuine claims come in. I remember years back a friend having his car stolen, joyridden and torched, and he was fuming when the insurers would only give him something like 50% of its market value.

good post

HOLA4424
My friend bought a round of drinks from the bar for £8, when I bought the same round minus 1 drink I was charged £11. Returned to the bar and they had made a 'mistake'.

Private taxi drivers seem to have been issued with different scales (same firm). I make the same journey weekly and get different amounts each time.

Have had two parking tickets, one in a garage forecourt, one in a restaurant car park. Both were issued by the same private parking company. Complained to restaurant and to garage head office and refused to pay. One of them exploded to £771.00 with additional charges of £3 per day. Got OFT involved, and requested the parking scumbags tell me what Statutes or Regulations they would rely on in Court. Haven't heard anything for 6 months. This is a scam and is unenforceable (despite their threats).

Being approached by an increasing number of druggies daily, wanting 30p for the bus fare to see their partner in the hospital.

The usual car insurance rip off - shop around, and make sure you stress that you want the bare bones (no additional legal cover etc)

Postcode rip off with home insurance

Bought shares at £1.86 and charged £1.96 by Gnatwest

Had shares stolen by the Govt in February (Northern Rock)

Garage tried to charge £65 to change a battery in my key fob - reduced to £30!!!

Petrol

Guinness

Tobacco

Food hike

More work, no pay rise

Schools requiring up to £10 per week to subsidise educational day trips

Gave to Cancer Research for years, now drugs too expensive for NHS to treat my uncle

Train prices yoy!!!!

Virgin - loyal customer for 4 years, paying £25 per month, won't answer calls to change slow 1Mb Modem or reduce to new tarriff rates. Even applied online. Also £5 non DD fee, reduced to £1.50 after threat to cancel. 2 x £10 late payment fees waived

Bank Charges when wages go in a nanosecond after a payment

Tesco prices different by region - why?

Retailers - less customers, higher margins

Football Season Ticket (reducing)!!!! Still out of the budget for the first time in 7 years though

Sent my son into shop to make his very first purchase (sweets) and came back 20p short!!!!

I could go on...

I changed my for £2.99. Ordered the batteries off eBay, undid the screw on the back and, well, changed it. Are some more difficult then?

HOLA4425