House Price Crash Forum
markinspain

Has Anyone Tried To Rip You Off Recently?

I get the feeling financial pressure is definitely making the world a nastier place. I've had more than one lot of

people trying to cheat me recently and I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience. And before anyone mentions nationality, both lots were English!

I get the feeling financial pressure is definitely making the world a nastier place. I've had more than one lot of

people trying to cheat me recently and I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience. And before anyone mentions nationality, both lots were English!

What happened and for how much?

Yes, this happened to us. My wife called to change the car details on our insurance policy. The usual bla bla. Then the guy asked her if she had any driving convictions. She said just the one from 2003 that you have. At this point the upto now polite agent turned all nasty and said they had no record and that it was my wifes fault. He then proceeded to calculate the additional premium since 2003 - we had been with the same insurer. The total came to 850 quid. My wife who was heavily pregnant had a paddy, and said she wasnt paying it. They chased us time and time again - putting a debt collector on us. We ended up on countless calls with them. In the end we took legal advice, and were told the insurer had no legal right to the money, that it was unlawful, and that a judge would throw it out at the door. We spoke to the DVLA - and even they were on our side - I think they see this alot from insurers.

Anyway, as soon as we told ELEPHANT that we wanted to take it straight to a court, they realised they had no way to threaten us, and they 'wrote it off'

It was tantamount to harrassment aswell as extortion. Im sure its not just ELEPHANT/ADMIRAL that do this, but I wouldnt be recommending them.

went to get a set of four tyres, and in the end got a good deal (cheaper than internet tyre companies)

But, when I was in the local tyre shop four lads walked in one of them wanted a tyre and was complaining that 55 quid was too much, at the same time the other three lads had split up and were walking around the shop and forecourt looking and chatting to each other. I stayed in the shop as the manager popped back into the garage to sort something out. When he came back he told me that two of the lads had nicked an expensive tyre and put it in the back of the car, they refused to give it back saying they had 'just' bought it at another tyre place. He got it back in the end because the lads didn't have a receipt for the tyre, and the lads bought the cheaper tyre for 55 quid cash....

Yes, this happened to us. My wife called to change the car details on our insurance policy. The usual bla bla. Then the guy asked her if she had any driving convictions. She said just the one from 2003 that you have. At this point the upto now polite agent turned all nasty and said they had no record and that it was my wifes fault. He then proceeded to calculate the additional premium since 2003 - we had been with the same insurer. The total came to 850 quid. My wife who was heavily pregnant had a paddy, and said she wasnt paying it. They chased us time and time again - putting a debt collector on us. We ended up on countless calls with them. In the end we took legal advice, and were told the insurer had no legal right to the money, that it was unlawful, and that a judge would throw it out at the door. We spoke to the DVLA - and even they were on our side - I think they see this alot from insurers.

Anyway, as soon as we told ELEPHANT that we wanted to take it straight to a court, they realised they had no way to threaten us, and they 'wrote it off'

It was tantamount to harrassment aswell as extortion. Im sure its not just ELEPHANT/ADMIRAL that do this, but I wouldnt be recommending them.

I feel for you mate. When companies do stuff like that it really pi**es me of :(

Guest Shedfish

car insurance - the auto renewal statement had gone up a little, so i went to confused.com, and got more quotes. top of the list was my current insurer, offering half the price what they were about to renew me for. kicked up a huge stink and got the lower price

i wonder how many people just don't question

Insurance co's are certainly ones to watch .

I posted on another thread that Swintons insurance are trying to charge me a £12 'outside of you credit agreement charge' for a direct debit that did not go through.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Insurance co's are certainly ones to watch .

I posted on another thread that Swintons insurance are trying to charge me a £12 'outside of you credit agreement charge' for a direct debit that did not go through.

Swinton are cowboys.

I cancelled my insurance there last year within the grace-period you have after taking it out 1-2 weeks earlier. They were trying to put additional costs onto my cancellation fees that were not part of the contract. So they've always been b4astards pretty much.

Had to write a letter and mention FSA (or whomever it was) and they gave me the money back.

Now I'm with Tesco despite it not being the cheapest, hopefully better customer services. Hopefully.

If you made a claim in that period they would have told you that your insurance was invalid and not paid out a penny for sure.

Technically they should be refunding you for the past few years, for invalid insurance you paid for.

If they demanded money with threats to go to the police, this is blackmail as per the Theft Act 1968 and blackmailers tend to

do real jail time, unlike people who drive without insurance, who get sent to Rhyll for a holiday, punishment enough in my books!

I am presuming you made no claims though....

One little trick car insurers do (in my case Budget) was to keep the renewal roughly the same, enough to say OK, renew...

However, you find in the small print that they have changed the policy - upping the excess. Sneaky bstardos.

Beware this trick! Otherwise you'll get a shock if you have a prang.

Ripping people off seems be be ingrained into the culture these days. It's not just the price of things, unforeseen extras, premium rate phone calls, it's being short-changed in customer service ('so what')... wearing us down, lowering expectations to the hope of getting an acceptable level of service.

Has pride in doing the job well gone out of the window. OK I generalise and maybe shouldn't, but there is a cultural malaise.

I've actually had a good experience with Admiral. They send me a renewal for £350 and when I phoned up to give my CC details the herbert on the other end assumed I was complaining about the price (he didn't let me get a word in edgeways) and dropped the premium to £300 for me--I was calling to pay the £350!!

:lol:

(Plonkers)

Has Anyone Tried To Rip You Off Recently?

Yep. Debenhams. Boughts some of their elegant but cheap white crockery for everyday use. Glaze was so thin it stained within a matter of days. Took it back 8 weeks ago. Since then I've been struggling to get a refund, having been ignored time and time again. Of course, there can be no suggestion that the deep doo-doo of debt they find themselves in after a genius private equity firm leveraged them to the hilt could be responsible for their unwillingness to give me back my piffling £40. Honest.

Suffice to say that the staff seem totally demotivated and unwilling to help. Dictat from above to stem the tide of returned goods? Personally I'd now avoid like the plague and for heaven's sake don't make any sizeable purchases that you can't take out the shop the minute you buy them (if you want to avoid a "WrapIt" scenario.

Edited by Sledgehead

If you made a claim in that period they would have told you that your insurance was invalid and not paid out a penny for sure.

Technically they should be refunding you for the past few years, for invalid insurance you paid for.

If they demanded money with threats to go to the police, this is blackmail as per the Theft Act 1968 and blackmailers tend to

do real jail time, unlike people who drive without insurance, who get sent to Rhyll for a holiday, punishment enough in my books!

I am presuming you made no claims though....

I had come to this conclusion also. I was going to calculate the total premiums for the last 5 years compounded and present it to the judge if it did go to court. But luckily we did not claim.

One of our student tenants left owing about £500 (after we'd offset her deposit). We therefore contacted her father who had guaranteed her rental. This isn't an infrequent occurrence - usually the parents just moan & cough up. This guy wrote a belligerent letter back demanding that we prove that she hadn't paid! Er, how do you prove a negative?? He demanded to see all our bank statements - sorry, no way! We'll happily produce them in court, but I'm not sending all our bank statements to a perfect stranger. We even hold a bounced cheque from his daughter for £400 - he's trying to allege that must have been for some "private transaction" with us, and therefore not relevant to his guarantee.

I don't think this would have happened a year or so ago.

One of our student tenants left owing about £500 (after we'd offset her deposit). We therefore contacted her father who had guaranteed her rental. This isn't an infrequent occurrence - usually the parents just moan & cough up. This guy wrote a belligerent letter back demanding that we prove that she hadn't paid! Er, how do you prove a negative?? He demanded to see all our bank statements - sorry, no way! We'll happily produce them in court, but I'm not sending all our bank statements to a perfect stranger. We even hold a bounced cheque from his daughter for £400 - he's trying to allege that must have been for some "private transaction" with us, and therefore not relevant to his guarantee.

I don't think this would have happened a year or so ago.

Why not just threaten to take his daughter to a small claims court, get a CCJ against her name, and ruin her credit history for life?

Then he might pay up?

There has been a few dodgy door to door "salespeople" in my area recently, they have faked ID's from utility companies and the like and are asking people for the card details after the usual sales blurb. They even have the contract documents etc, more a professional scam it seems!

They have screwed over quite a few elderly people of late, makes me sick it really does.

I think you'll find this all perfectly normal. Did no-one tell you, the world is full of crooks, it's just that some people are more crooked than others. I've had loads of similar experiences, individuals, governments, companies, they are all the same although I would say that insurance companies are probably the worst. That is why is don't have any insurance (except car, because it is the law), I learned a long time ago to simply put the money in bank for a rainy day. Besides insurance is against Gods law, if you are into that kind of thing.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, I can't post yet, but it kind of fits. When are we exoecting the BoE decision on interest rates?

This of course could be classed as a rip off!

Beware this trick! Otherwise you'll get a shock if you have a prang.

Ripping people off seems be be ingrained into the culture these days. It's not just the price of things, unforeseen extras, premium rate phone calls, it's being short-changed in customer service ('so what')... wearing us down, lowering expectations to the hope of getting an acceptable level of service.

Which is why one should always take copies of information submitted to insurance companies, so they cannot deny having received relevant information. Gits.

Attempts at being ripped off so far this year:

(1) Mechanic who rang me up after checking over my car and quoted me a price over the phone for replacing brake pads and plates (which needed doing). Put the phone down, did a sum in my head and called him up...backed down saying they'd made a mistake and had put in the code for an Audi part when they quoted me. Needless to say, I told them not to do any work, picked up the car, bought the parts myself and took it to another garage.

(2) Insurance company tried to avoid paying the measly £150 contents cover for a car that was written off in a fire.

(3) Mechanic tried to wriggle out of taking responsibility for car fire mentioned in (2). He'd replaced the engine in my car 2 days previously, and it appears he hadn't reconnected the fuel lines properly. It was a mid engined car, so when it exploded on the highway 10 miles later, things were looking bad for a moment.

(4) First wrecker I bought replacement engine from took my money and failed to deliver engine. After 8 weeks etc. got money back through VISA.

(5) Let's not even mention the bad workmanship that led to me having to replace the engine in the first place. This one I had to take the hit on...as it would have been difficult to prove.

(6) Bought second hand car to replace burnt out wreck. Test drive and initial checks looked okay. Within 50 miles it was clear the engine and gear box had real problems. Dealer tried to get me to pay as I failed to buy parts insurance (yeah...watch this one everyone...nice scam...if it is potentially a pre-existing fault, in the first 6 months it is up to the dealer to prove that it was not pre-existing...so the insurance is more or less worthless as the insurer will claim it was pre-existing. Everyone should know the details of The Sale of Goods and Services Act and amendments. You have almost no protection if you buy from a private seller, but from a dealer you have a lot of recourse, regardless of what they say.) It would have cost me over £5000 to get the car in proper working order (I paid £6000 for the car!). Instead that cost landed on the dealer. They were very aggressive. I'm sure others less confident in their knowledge of the law would have been bluffed. As it was I had to threaten immediate legal action.

(7) Every insurance renewal this year...has been cheaper from the same company if applying as a new customer or online, so have had to call and complain to all of them or change insurers.

(8) After having strung us along until we were approaching the date we had to leave our former rental, potential LL decided to up the proposed rent £50pcm from what was advertised.

(9) Checkout inspection at former rental started badly - looked like they were trying to "try one on"...until I pointed out I had photos of all the damage they were pointing out from when I moved in, and that this was lodged with the EA and I had a signed copy of the disk. Everything went smoothly after that.

(10) I had to pay £250 for a credit check and search for myself and partner to letting agent. After checking checks on credit records, and speaking to administrator at work, it appears that none of the checks were done. I suppose both myself and the Landlord have been ripped off here as they didn't get the assurance they expected either. FFS, are margins so tight they can't spend the £30 of the £250 that it would take for a private agency to do the checks?

(11) Council tax and water rates. (No, they didn't try to swindle me...but they ARE just a rip off.)

(12) Every time I buy a ticket for £3 to travel 6 minutes (one stop) on an overcrowded, filthy, heavily subsidised train to and from work (the 80% of the time it actually turns up). In Australia, I can make a 2 hour journey for this price.

(12) Buying almost anything in the UK. Invariably significantly cheaper to buy from the US and pay the postage.

(13) Edited to add: Oh, I forgot, the student selling a DVD on ebay...took money and failed to send DVD. Rang his contact number...turned out to be his parents...they sounded like nice people and were very annoyed. I got my money back.

(14) Edited to add: The car that had £5000 worth of work on it had a full tank of petrol nicked by the garage.

(15) Edited to add: Inflation and other forms of taxation beyond that which is required to provide a safe society.

I'm sure there are others, but each year Letting Agents, Mechanics and Insurers ALWAYS appear at the top of my list of people/organisations that have tried to scam me.

Edited by D'oh

Why not just threaten to take his daughter to a small claims court, get a CCJ against her name, and ruin her credit history for life?

Then he might pay up?

Can the OP write to the girls lace of study? She must have a mentor of some kind.

If the student knows her school knows of her wrongdoing, she may be so emarrassed that she will pay.

Our rental place gets a snowdrift of letters (i'm suspecting mostly from debt collectors) for previous tenants, and at least one day a week I end up posting them back to the senders. A few weeks ago we got one addressed to 'The Occupier' so I open it and it's some debt collector asking to call them if some guy called Heneghan doesn't live there anymore.

I called them in the hope it would stop the constant letters and they tried to suggest that because I now lived there I had to pay the £800 he owed for Gas (no idea how a single man in a one bed flat could use that much gas). I knew it was nothing to with me and told the woman to stop lying to make me pay up for something I don't owe, and then she demanded I give her my landlord's phone number and address. I got pretty pissed off and extremely rudely told her not to send any more letters here. We still get plenty of crap for previous tenants but the tide is slowly turning, only got four letters so far this week.

Our mortgage company. We sold our house and were trying to port the mortgage. We were told that we had to redeem the mortgage completely and would be refunded the redemption penalty when we bought the other house. When we did this they then refused to refund the redemption penalty because we didn't complete both properties on the same day. Of course we were never told this. When my husband complained they said they couldn't find a particular phone conversation where all this was confirmed and we were going to be sent confirmation by fax to our solicitor. Very convenient. Of course they could find all the other phone conversations...

Unlucky for them, I used to work at this company and know some of the senior management. So I sent an email asking for help. What do you know, next day it was sorted.

But I wonder how often they do this kind of thing as a matter of course. Just to see if they get away with it.

Our rental place gets a snowdrift of letters (i'm suspecting mostly from debt collectors) for previous tenants, and at least one day a week I end up posting them back to the senders. A few weeks ago we got one addressed to 'The Occupier' so I open it and it's some debt collector asking to call them if some guy called Heneghan doesn't live there anymore.

I called them in the hope it would stop the constant letters and they tried to suggest that because I now lived there I had to pay the £800 he owed for Gas (no idea how a single man in a one bed flat could use that much gas). I knew it was nothing to with me and told the woman to stop lying to make me pay up for something I don't owe, and then she demanded I give her my landlord's phone number and address. I got pretty pissed off and extremely rudely told her not to send any more letters here. We still get plenty of crap for previous tenants but the tide is slowly turning, only got four letters so far this week.

If they start attempting to come around, send them a letter stating that you are revoking their implied right of access to your front door, and tell them that you are logging their calls and future calls will be taken as evidence of harassment.

Also check your credit history. Can be done for a couple of quid. These previous tenants might end up being associated with you as they lived at your address (and probably haven't changed it to their new one). You need to apply to have yourself disassociated from them...otherwise you may find you cannot get credit or have to pay stupid amounts for it in the future. (A danger of renting.)

Edited by D'oh

If they start attempting to come around, send them al letter stating that you are revoking their implied right of access to your front door, and tell them that you are logging their calls and future calls will be taken as evidence of harassment.

Also check your credit history. Can be done for a couple of quid. These previous tenants might end up being associated with you as they lived at your address (and probably haven't changed it to their new one). You need to apply to have yourself disassociated from them...otherwise you may find you cannot get credit or have to pay stupid amounts for it in the future. (A danger of renting.)

Can the credit agencies really put a black mark on me because some people that owe money used to live here? If that is the case then credit reference agencies are even more sh1t and devious than I previously thought. Whatever happened to having your bank manager assess your suitability for credit based on your incomes/savings record??