House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0q0

The Last Bear's Save Money Thread

Episode 1

Half-baked?

It's very easy to bake your own bread. Or you can even get a bag of ready-mixed (I recommend Hovis's).

Add a spoon of butter, add a half teaspoon of sugar and wet the top for a better crust. Costs much less, tastes much better. Biggest secret is to knead for a good 10 minutes by hand or with a food mixer.

Go on - have a go at it - you'll never buy supermarket run of the mill bread again!

And no you don't need a bread-maker - too expensive for what they are!

No need to splash out

Washing up time - don't use a dishwasher unless your family's huge. It's cheaper to wash up by hand and save it all up to do in one go so the combi boiler heats the water and keeps it hot for a whole huge batch rather than dribs and drabs. Ditto if you use an immersion heater. And don't leave the immersion on all day "on thermostat" - heat your water and switch it off - usually 20 to 40 mins max.

Quickie and no need for a tumble

Unless you're a filthy swine, use your washing machine's quick wash cycle (though not for wool etc). And line dry or on an airer rather than the pretty penny or 100 a tumble dry session costs.

If you must have a tumble, do it at night like the rest of us! (On Economy 7)

Air today

If you have a portable air conditioning unit, keep its filters clean, intake vent and the exhaust vent (exchanger) clean and clear to maximise efficiency. Keeping a room's curtains closed will reduce it heating up in summer, giving your aircon less work. Use the aircon's timer if fitted to avoid forgetting and leaving the unit on needlessly. Turn off any unused sources of heat in the room and close all windows and doors except any window you vent through.

Actually dish washers are more efficient than hand washing.

Dish washers or dishwashers?

Dishwashers are only economical for large loads, not a couple of plates and bits n pieces, Jon. It could even be argued that they're never economical really, but perhaps for people who make full use of them per cycle that's not so.

Only big loads on the best machines v clumsy and wasteful washers really makes any saving http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005/nov/01/ethicalmoney.g2

Dishwashers are only economical for large loads, not a couple of plates and bits n pieces, Jon. It could even be argued that they're never economical really, but perhaps for people who make full use of them per cycle that's not so.

Or dishwashers are more efficient if like my wife you only handwash dishes under running hot water as its "more hygenic" :rolleyes:

Or dishwashers are more efficient if like my wife you only handwash dishes under running hot water as its "more hygenic" :rolleyes:

Is she South East Asian? I've often seen that among them.

Is she South East Asian a mail order bride? I've often seen that among them.

No, foreign but south east European. They do get free solar-heated hot water I suppose. Don't get me stated about her 'hygenic' mum, who irons freshly washed baby clothes to kill the germs. :rolleyes:

Best try to get back on topic.

Switch off your hot water, you don't need it. Kettle for drinks, hob for cooking, dishwasher run full and electric shower.

Driving - slow down, 65 on the M'way is saving me pounds every week and park near to the entrance/exit of the works car park. The walk will do you good and saving a couple of hundred metres of slow car park driving everyday will pay you back in the long term

edit: tips added

In the car, someone correct me if I'm wrong but under 40mph it's cheaper to have the windows open than the aircon on.

Aircon uses 10% more fuel, climate control uses 4% more.

Properly inflated tyres saves 3% fuel.

Not giving a lift home to a blonde bimbo and her mate that you met at the pub saves quite a lot more.

last Bear, this is okay but, what if you make all these economies now, what would happen if inflation took another leap, you would have nothing in reserve?. Wouldn't it be better to make adjustments over time. Pity there are no great trains left to rob.

last Bear, this is okay but, what if you make all these economies now, what would happen if inflation took another leap, you would have nothing in reserve?. Wouldn't it be better to make adjustments over time. Pity there are no great trains left to rob.

Yeah, and now they're putting the water up too.

Surely it must be against our human rights to be used like cash cows by greedy companies to make ever greater profits, although of course they argue that they invest more than they make in profit. Hmm... I wonder.

Are we the masses all merely put on this earth to work, learn some lessons, give our money to organisations and governments, pass on our genes, then drop dead and turn to fertiliser?

No wonder the rat race is so fierce, dog eating dog, to climb out of the rice bowl and "attain". But what a hollow victory - to lord it over their fellow brothers rather than set a course for all to be free, equal and prosper.

As they move the goalposts ever further, instead we are all enslaved to earn just to survive, as we look up to our bosses and masters, filling all our days with aspirations for temporary material wealth rather than spiritual depth which would be ours forever.

Oh what a trap.

Bosch vacuum cleaner bags can be carefully emptied and re-used. They cost £1 each! I get a dozen goes out of each bag.

Like finding money in the street!

Bosch vacuum cleaner bags can be carefully emptied and re-used. They cost £1 each! I get a dozen goes out of each bag.

Like finding money in the street!

£1 a bag???! £1 a bag??!??!?!!??!??! Are they having a giraffe?

Bob Bosch, what are you like?!

Actually they give a lot of wad to charity, about 92% or some such. So I shouldn't knock 'em.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_GmbH

£1 a bag???! £1 a bag??!??!?!!??!??! Are they having a giraffe?

Bob Bosch, what are you like?!

Actually they give a lot of wad to charity, about 92% or some such. So I shouldn't knock 'em.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_GmbH

I had no idea! I always loved my Bosch thingies (had one or two blips last year I must admit..when I thought about looking elsewhere!) however I am now back in the Bosch fan club. Why don't they advertise this?