House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth

Contrarian Logic...

The problem with the current market is that some of us are talking it in terms of reality, those who have a stake are still desperately trying to talk the fall into the margins (by which they really mean, oh no, I bought 10 years of holidays on the back of a shrinking asset!)

To get things moving I think that we bears really have to talk the market up. I believe that it would cause strong cognitive dissonance if the people who had been issuing doom and gloom for years started saying mantra like 'house prices always go up', particularly if it were delivered like a stepford wife!

Since people generally feel the need to be within a polarised debate to ensure their individuality, it would likely do their heads in... and maybe they would even forge into independent thinking?

If a few people were stupid enough to get burned on the way then all I can say is 'Darwin Rules' OK?

The problem with the current market is that some of us are talking it in terms of reality, those who have a stake are still desperately trying to talk the fall into the margins (by which they really mean, oh no, I bought 10 years of holidays on the back of a shrinking asset!)

To get things moving I think that we bears really have to talk the market up. I believe that it would cause strong cognitive dissonance if the people who had been issuing doom and gloom for years started saying mantra like 'house prices always go up', particularly if it were delivered like a stepford wife!

Since people generally feel the need to be within a polarised debate to ensure their individuality, it would likely do their heads in... and maybe they would even forge into independent thinking?

If a few people were stupid enough to get burned on the way then all I can say is 'Darwin Rules' OK?

oohh, you cruel, cruel woman...you don't know Max Mosley by any chance do you? ;)

What a great idea! i could reverse all the other contra-government-propoganda ideas I have been spouting. I'll go on a quiet holiday somewhere (not hot, as far as I know you can't get a tan in Belmarsh), create some fake scars near my temple, and be excrutiatingly boringly insistent that everything is ok when I return.

I like your thinking Elizabeth.

The closest I can get to talking the market up is to say something like,

"Don't worry, if you bought before 97 you'll be fine."

<pregnant pause>

"You did buy before 97 didn't you?"

Not quite what you were after I know, but it is in the same mean vein.

"strong cognitive dissonance "

You can get tablets for that, you know.

" the need to be within a polarised debate to ensure their individuality"

That as well, probably.

Edited by PotNoodle

The closest I can get to talking the market up is to say something like,

"Don't worry, if you bought before 97 you'll be fine."

<pregnant pause>

"You did buy before 97 didn't you?"

Not quite what you were after I know, but it is in the same mean vein.

This is a favorite of mine.

"You lot are fine as you bought before 2001 and haven't remortgaged to buy a flash car"

<knowing they bought or MEWed last year>

"Anyone that bought since 2001 is proper f**ked"

To answer the original post, the only reason to be in property is if inflation goes balistic or we have the type of doom the gold rampers are suggesting. My hard earned savings could be worthless, whereas a house is still a house.