House Price Crash Forum

Man Lay Dead In Bed For 2 Years

I wonder just how many people up and down the country are as isolated, forgotten... not a pleasant thought. The dehumanising of our selfish society goes on.

It's not just old people.

How many of you work with a quiet, single person, over 40, who lives alone . . . ?

I probably have a conversation with a human about once every 2 months when I manage to force somebody into meeting for a beer. It's hard work getting people to do things with you as they've all got their lives. So you don't want to be a nuisance, and so you stop asking in the end as you get knocked back so often. Not because they don't like you, it's just everybody's got other friends/family pulling them every way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty hard to believe - why did no-one notice?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7545118.stm

Would he still qualify for a mortgage?

Well may be not now during the credit crunch.

You try getting old people to stop living in their homes, it's like trying to take the Ring from Gollum.

They insist they're managing alright, but phone up for a home visit twice a week, until one day a bunch of relatives from the other end of the country turn up and demand you turn them back into a 20 year old that day.

The sooner we get all those empty inner city flats made into efficient residential care for the elderly, and introduce a home competency exam for the over 80s, the better.

My grandmother lived till she was 93 in a remote village. She broke her hip and died in a hospital setting. But her last words were that she wanted to go home. She had lived there since she was 30. Why the hell should old people be moved out at the whim of a well meaning bloody big brother bureaucrat? F*ck home competency exams. People have a right to live and die on their own terms. Even if it does cost the state a bit. Well hell. They work all their lives, pay their taxes, raise their kids and rather than treat them like pieces of meat (and that goes for their interfering kids too)... I could go on but it makes me mad. The sooner the state respects old people instead of treating them like turnips and shovelling them into herds, and encouraging them to relate to creeping decrepitude by identifying their primary needs as 'being old' rather than being sick (only when they are sick) or being a great bridge player or... and why should they live like sardines in inner city high rise cans. Shelf packer bureaucratic ideas... People are not an effing "efficiency" they are messy, they are complicated and they don't fit into your model...

Edited by Elizabeth

A rather sad story to be sure.

However, I do think there is a moral here and it related to house prices and the British obsession with property. Why was he living in a house alone at the age of 70? It was probably too large for him and he may have been ill anyway.

The number of times I come across old people living alone and or infirm in a large family home they should have left years ago is amazing. I do not understand the mentality of it. They might as well sell it and spend the cash rather than let the thing be a millstone for years and then die alone. Why not move into sheltered accomodation early and then travel and enjoy life while you still can and at least be with other people?

Wait till you get to 70 and then think about asking that question about living alone? Is it a crime? What - to live alone or to be 70 or both?

Seventy is not old by any means these days. I know people in their 90s who live alone. I was talking to a 92 year old sat outside a Tesco Express yesterday in his car waiting for his wife - who was older than him. I met a lady in her 90s 2 weeks ago shopping in M&S. I was in hospital a few weeks back and in the same room as me was a 92 year old former Lancaster bomber pilot who lived alone and was more alive than many I know in their teens or 20s. Wait until you get to your 70s.

He could be alone for all sorts of reasons. His wife may well have passed away through illness. Perhaps he and his wife could never have children. For 40 years my parents lived next door to a spinster Headmistress - the love of her life had died in Arnhem in 1944.

Perhaps he was simply lonely. Loneliness is a terrible thing. It goes unnoticed. No one truly understand loneliness until they experience it.

Perhaps he was simply happy by himself? The way our Society is now, especially with the fear of divorce amongst the Male of the species, there will potentially be millions living by themselves in their 50s, 60s and 70s and more in the coming years. According to Govt figures out a couple of months ago about 18 million people in the UK live alone.

As for the living in a large house thing - it was his home. His home full of memories. The place that he may well have lived with his partner all his life, where he laughed, cried, made love and so on. Perhaps he brought up his family there.

I could go on but, well, I hope you get the point by now. I am only 42 but I live alone, have no family and it is a real fear that I too might end up like this chap. Many of us might. None of us know this chap's life story - it might become our life story in time. All I know that it is a tragedy when people die alone. May God bless him and his loved ones.

Perhaps he was simply lonely. Loneliness is a terrible thing. It goes unnoticed. No one truly understand loneliness until they experience it.

You needn't suffer in silence you know. I'm more than happy to share a pint with you if you're ever in Manchester. You really mustn't feel you need to resort to talking to 92 yr-old strangers you know. I'm sure even Dissipated would pay you a home visit if you're feeling especially low.

Wait till you get to 70 and then think about asking that question about living alone? Is it a crime? What - to live alone or to be 70 or both?

Seventy is not old by any means these days. I know people in their 90s who live alone. I was talking to a 92 year old sat outside a Tesco Express yesterday in his car waiting for his wife - who was older than him. I met a lady in her 90s 2 weeks ago shopping in M&S. I was in hospital a few weeks back and in the same room as me was a 92 year old former Lancaster bomber pilot who lived alone and was more alive than many I know in their teens or 20s. Wait until you get to your 70s.

He could be alone for all sorts of reasons. His wife may well have passed away through illness. Perhaps he and his wife could never have children. For 40 years my parents lived next door to a spinster Headmistress - the love of her life had died in Arnhem in 1944.

Perhaps he was simply happy by himself? The way our Society is now, especially with the fear of divorce amongst the Male of the species, there will potentially be millions living by themselves in their 50s, 60s and 70s and more in the coming years. According to Govt figures out a couple of months ago about 18 million people in the UK live alone.

As for the living in a large house thing - it was his home. His home full of memories. The place that he may well have lived with his partner all his life, where he laughed, cried, made love and so on. Perhaps he brought up his family there.

I could go on but, well, I hope you get the point by now. I am only 42 but I live alone, have no family and it is a real fear that I too might end up like this chap. Many of us might. None of us know this chap's life story - it might become our life story in time. All I know that it is a tragedy when people die alone. May God bless him and his loved ones.

I respect your honesty and sincerity- well said that man

Edited by hankdd

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
My grandmother lived till she was 93 in a remote village. She broke her hip and died in a hospital setting. But her last words were that she wanted to go home. She had lived there since she was 30. Why the hell should old people be moved out at the whim of a well meaning bloody big brother bureaucrat? F*ck home competency exams. People have a right to live and die on their own terms. Even if it does cost the state a bit. Well hell. They work all their lives, pay their taxes, raise their kids and rather than treat them like pieces of meat (and that goes for their interfering kids too)... I could go on but it makes me mad. The sooner the state respects old people instead of treating them like turnips and shovelling them into herds, and encouraging them to relate to creeping decrepitude by identifying their primary needs as 'being old' rather than being sick (only when they are sick) or being a great bridge player or... and why should they live like sardines in inner city high rise cans. Shelf packer bureaucratic ideas... People are not an effing "efficiency" they are messy, they are complicated and they don't fit into your model...

Get in your box.

You needn't suffer in silence you know. I'm more than happy to share a pint with you if you're ever in Manchester. You really mustn't feel you need to resort to talking to 92 yr-old strangers you know. I'm sure even Dissipated would pay you a home visit if you're feeling especially low.

LOL - that is very kind of you.

...it's like trying to take the Ring from Gollum.

<LOTR RAMBLE>

What's so difficult about that old bean, a couple of gay midgets took Gollum's ring several times!

(A bunch of thieving rapscallions; it was actually Gollums (finders keepers etc.

but, alas, Middle Earth has yet to invent ASBO's)

Personally, I'd be more interested in the ring of that Cate Blanchett character :rolleyes:

</LOTR RAMBLE>

gB

PS I hate Tolkien and his rotten books, neary a scantily clad bond girl in sight :(

The story has just been on the news. Looked like a 2 up, 2 down terrace. Some of the neighbours were interviewed, just getting on with their lives. A bit embarrassing though.

Don't believe that the old should be deprived of their homes, just because the are old. Nor is the Logan's Run option, an option <_<

Community and the sense of community has been undermined under recent regimes. My bug bear has been the loss of social clubs as owners take the opportunity to cash in on 'brownfield' sites - sod the clientèle. One club near me lies empty pending an apartment development that won't happen; another has planning permission and is winding down. (Planners and Councillors let the community down.) These places played a part in gluing communities and maybe giving the isolated a place to go without having to try to 'fit in' so much.

There is more to life than selling over-priced property to the next mug that comes along.

He could be alone for all sorts of reasons... Perhaps he was simply lonely. Loneliness is a terrible thing. It goes unnoticed. No one truly understand loneliness until they experience it...

...I am only 42 but I live alone, have no family and it is a real fear that I too might end up like this chap. Many of us might. None of us know this chap's life story - it might become our life story in time. All I know that it is a tragedy when people die alone. May God bless him and his loved ones.

Masked, I can relate to what you say. It's not beyond anyone to fall into that 'hole' and question what would happen if... how, when would you be missed? Life happens... not always good stuff.

There world is full of lonely, even disaffected people... missing inaction [sic].

All you need is love, love...

Would he still qualify for a mortgage?

Well may be not now during the credit crunch.

Hang on. There's a proper joke in there somewhere. Here goes:

A : Hear the one about the man who was found in his house two years after he died?

B : Yeah / No

A : Apparently his bank chased him up as soon as he'd missed his first three mortgage payments.

Hmm. Does that work? Still not quite there methinks. Ideas anyone?

Well its sad but maybe that's what he would of wanted. Reclusive's are reclusive for a reason and I'm sure it must of crossed his mind about the consequences of his departure. I see plenty of this in my job and as people get older they they lose friends and relatives and often very old people live very solitary lifestyles. I have a customer in Nottingham who is over 100 and I always keep an eye on him and pop in when I'm passing, he hasn't any relatives and just one known friend. For his age he has a cracking sense of humour and still managers to service his car, amazing really.

I'm a bit surprised that the postmen or deliverers of free advertising did not notice the large pile of post accumulated over a long period of time, and then, say, alert the police to check it out. Doesn't the Post Office have any policy on this?

It reminds of the guy who died at his desk at work in a Tax Office in Helsinki. Nobody noticed for 2 working days!

Shouldn't laugh but....

I'm a bit surprised that the postmen or deliverers of free advertising did not notice the large pile of post accumulated over a long period of time, and then, say, alert the police to check it out. Doesn't the Post Office have any policy on this?

It reminds of the guy who died at his desk at work in a Tax Office in Helsinki. Nobody noticed for 2 working days!

Shouldn't laugh but....

I think Finland has the highest suicide rates in Europe. They probably were jealous of him or too busy planning their own way out. Actually, it is just tragic the contempt that we have for so many other Human Beings. Society seems to have become so insular and so selfish that people who take an interest in others well-being are almost singled out as wierdoes these days.

Materialism = Selfishness = Moral decline = Society going backwards

Actually, it is just tragic the contempt that we have for so many other Human Beings. Society seems to have become so insular and so selfish that people who take an interest in others well-being are almost singled out as wierdoes these days.

We live in a street of 40 houses with a really good community spirit (minus the 2 BTL slums). Some residents have lived here since they were born (moved away and come back). Still didn't stop one old dear from dying in her kitchen over Christmas and her absence not being noticed until New Year. Still, at least it was noticed in the end.

I think Finland has the highest suicide rates in Europe. They probably were jealous of him or too busy planning their own way out. Actually, it is just tragic the contempt that we have for so many other Human Beings. Society seems to have become so insular and so selfish that people who take an interest in others well-being are almost singled out as wierdoes these days.

Well, from what I've noticed, on this site you note if someone you remember doesn't post. Thing is, in life not everyone does something of note or post.

Since the demise of the Soviet Union places like Lithuania have had higher rates of suicide but that's fairly new and presumably due to adverse economic circumstances. Over history Finland has generally had the highest in Europe, but behind Japan.

The Tax Office thing is typical of the Finnish workplace, which is what makes it funny. It's normal not to speak to people unless it's really necessary and just leave them in peace (which is regarded as polite behaviour here).