House Price Crash Forum
yawnIHateSundays

Man Lay Dead In Bed For 2 Years

This is pretty hard to believe - why did no-one notice?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7545118.stm

No friends, no family, and he owned his own property. Owning property is clearly a critical aspect here. It wouldn't have been till someone tried to take him to court for debts that it would have been found out. If the bank account was open the gas electricity etc. would just keep get taken out of it, his pension would have kept being put in, he probably did direct debit on his council tax and his phone. Basically we live in an automated world - no inconvenience and total continuity of service. No friends, no family needed. Live in isolation in the middle of the throng, die just the same.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Yes, yes, but how much do they want for the house?

I bet the relatives get in touch as soon as they find out thier is money still in his bank account! "Love thy neighbour"....naw more like "love thy rich dead relative".

I hope his estate gets a rebate on the last 2 years council tax, as the employees remove his rubish clearly aren't worth paying!

Edited by Yoss

Shocking. You try not paying your council tax or TV licence for 2 years and see how long you can get away with it.

Yeah but its all by direct debit. They just keep taking the money. It doesn't matter. Automated life. Automated death.

I incerely hope my neighbours don't come and check in my bedroom on a regular basis.

Oh and overfeed the cat heavily too, it'll be feasing on your decaying corpse for ages...

I am morbidly curious as to who kept his garden in decent condition without noticing his absence.

If it was leasehold, the annual service charge must have been d/d but shouldn't the LL have noticed?

The milkman has almost disappeared now that most of us use supermarkets so no help there either.

Something for many of us to learn from this I think. :unsure:

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

I sincerely hope my neighbours don't come and check in my bedroom on a regular basis.

If you are still walking around in a bikini you shouldn't need to worry about that.

you cant be too careful these days when buying a house, I mean, who knows what skeletons you might find, and not just in the cupboards!

A rather sad story to be sure.

However, I do think there is a moral here and it related to house prices and the British obsession with property. Why was he living in a house alone at the age of 70? It was probably too large for him and he may have been ill anyway.

The number of times I come across old people living alone and or infirm in a large family home they should have left years ago is amazing. I do not understand the mentality of it. They might as well sell it and spend the cash rather than let the thing be a millstone for years and then die alone. Why not move into sheltered accomodation early and then travel and enjoy life while you still can and at least be with other people?

£80k, but you have to scrape him off the floorboards with a palette knife yourself.

I'll pay £40k and I expect the beef jerky spice mix to be thrown in.

However, I do think there is a moral here and it related to house prices and the British obsession with property. Why was he living in a house alone at the age of 70? It was probably too large for him and he may have been ill anyway.

The number of times I come across old people living alone and or infirm in a large family home they should have left years ago is amazing. I do not understand the mentality of it. They might as well sell it and spend the cash rather than let the thing be a millstone for years and then die alone. Why not move into sheltered accomodation early and then travel and enjoy life while you still can and at least be with other people?

Ill?

Do you think? :lol:

You try getting old people to stop living in their homes, it's like trying to take the Ring from Gollum.

They insist they're managing alright, but phone up for a home visit twice a week, until one day a bunch of relatives from the other end of the country turn up and demand you turn them back into a 20 year old that day.

The sooner we get all those empty inner city flats made into efficient residential care for the elderly, and introduce a home competency exam for the over 80s, the better.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

How sad. If they'd found him last year, the house would have been worth a lot more than it is now.

:lol::lol::lol: No, it's not funny! :lol::lol::lol:

I wonder just how many people up and down the country are as isolated, forgotten... not a pleasant thought. The dehumanising of our selfish society goes on.

♫ "Find me a corner, I will hide away,

Maybe I'll be seen again some day" ♫

(From Insane by me)

Dead people don't tend to attract much attention these days!

Unless they need a mortgage... well last year maybe.