Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

N W Survey: 64% Say Now Is Not A Good Time To Buy A House Or A Car

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/080806/214/i4f7a.html

Wednesday August 6, 11:33 AM
Recession fears spark confidence crisis
By Lee Wild
| | |
LONDON (ShareCast) - The soaring cost of food and bigger energy bills have bashed consumer confidence by the most ever in July, according to a report from the Nationwide.
The building society's consumer confidence index slumped 11 points
to 51 last month, the biggest fall since the survey began in 2004.
"Talk of the increasing chances of a recession, more weakening in the housing market and the continuing rise of food and energy costs will have further dented confidence as will reports of job losses," said Nationwide's chief economist Fionalunuala Earley....../
Today's Nationwide data also revealed that
64% of people surveyed think now is a bad time to buy big items like houses and cars

However, Gordon in still refusing to listen to what the electorate are saying as he gets on with the job of getting the house market moving up again by offering a few sops such as a 1% effective discount if they are FTBs (eliimination of the 1% tax on house purchases). If Gordon was willing to listen he would embrace the crash and say what a cracking good idea and the best way to make houses affordable again.

Edited by Realistbear

If Gordon was willing to listen he would embrace the crash and say what a cracking good idea and the best way to make houses affordable again.

I think that the problem Gordon has is that if house prices fall, it impacts on the worth of UK plc.

Cabinet Ministers/MPs and their egoes are completely out of touch with the way the majority of us live. They ain't got a clue.

I am currently carless and have been so for about 2 months now. I am looking for a car to buy but I really, realy don't want to outlay a large sum on a car at this time... even though I need one... and I am a HPC bear who is well aware of the economic climate but it is good to see that others are now getting concerned. It is sad that people have to worry about such things though.