House Price Crash Forum
Converted Lurker

Nearly One Year On, When Did You Realise The Crunch Was The Beginning Of The End?

I was in Kefalonia Greece, we'd had an minor tremor in the morning, couldn't get access to the web, went into the capital and none of the atms were working. Folk were actually beginning to panic, mainly the UK tourists :rolleyes: That evening got back, went to an internet cafe and read a few links re. the heart attack the banking system had just had. Quite prophetic looking back; quake, no money, a boat ride from 'Homer's island'...

Edited by Converted Lurker

I was hearing about the rise of China and the decline of the US.

When 9/11 happened the first 2 thoughts in my head were, this is like Die Hard and I hope the US don't lash out like a cornered animal (I had just read 1984).

Realised the inevitable decline of the 'West', but thought it would take 25 years or more not 10.

I was hearing about the rise of China and the decline of the US.

When 9/11 happened the first 2 thoughts in my head were, this is like Die Hard and I hope the US don't lash out like a cornered animal (I had just read 1984).

Realised the inevitable decline of the 'West', but thought it would take 25 years or more not 10.

Wars are no longer won on the battlefield, but in the boardroom. We are no longer in control of our financial stability, never mind our infrastructure. After selling all of the family silver, power, telecoms, transport, heavy industry, finance, defence etc. we are at the mercy of those who dictate our every strategy, and will be pulled down by circumstances occuring beyond our shores.

It started a long time before 9/11, that was just an incident which couldn't be hushed up. Money has been leaving the Country like a bust mains pipe for years, all we are left with is a hole in the ground.

The horse has well and truly bolted.

Wars are no longer won on the battlefield, but in the boardroom. We are no longer in control of our financial stability, never mind our infrastructure. After selling all of the family silver, power, telecoms, transport, heavy industry, finance, defence etc. we are at the mercy of those who dictate our every strategy, and will be pulled down by circumstances occuring beyond our shores.

It started a long time before 9/11, that was just an incident which couldn't be hushed up. Money has been leaving the Country like a bust mains pipe for years, all we are left with is a hole in the ground.

Which begs the question,

Why Not Just Let It Burn??? All these government 'interventions' are as good as just pi$$ing in the wind. What's the point??

Northern Rock almost convinced me.

The Builders layoffs and that figure of 2.5 % drop in one month clinched it.

Having sold in 2005, I thought I had made a mistake when everything just kept on going.

Now I know I was right, if a little early.

I'm still "in denial" that Armageddon is nigh.....

Yeah, me too. Thing is, house prices rise, house prices falls, makes no odds, the sun still shines, the sky stays in its place, the global economy crashes, all the important people are on a carriage with no clothes, congratulating each other in the later stages of senile genius and yet still grass grows?

Guest KingCharles1st

I realised there was something very wrong with the banking system the first time I used Western Union money transfer to get money from my overseas customers- 3K done and dusted in 15 minutes.

10-14 days by normal bank to bank transfer. Yo don't need to be Einstein to know that Banks are in control of the game- and are still pulling the Governments strings.

Also- when I worked in SLAAAAGGHHHH in the summer of 2006, I just could not believe the amount of effort being used to get the immigrant workforce firstly imported, then "clean," and then to work debasing the UK job market- I realised then that if this is the UK- GAWD HELP US!

When my incredulous mother said, "you were right". Last Sunday.

That's a result!

Northern Rock for me was the biggie... I knew it couldn't go on and finally, the walls began to crumble, I didn't agree with the bail out.

Mentioned in another thread, planning permission was given to tear down a viable, busy social club for 60 apartments. I 'knew' the apartments wouldn't get built... the numbers didn't add up (falling prices and local over-supply) sure enough problems emerged and the developer pulled out. The club is doomed now, likely to end up an Aldi or something similar.

People making these decisions seemed to have no grasp whatsoever as to what was happening to the economy; they blundered forward making their poor decisions.

Oh, and at a community meeting I got some kudos for being right about my predictions. Cool! (Thanks, my common sense and HPC)

Guest Steve Cook

If you think this war will stay in the boardroom, you are very much mistaken

It has to be NR, because that was the event that meant I could say "I told you so".

I don't say I told you so now, because the TV news says it for me every week.

Some weeks, every night.

Edited by Timm

I am still not sure the end is actually nigh, but I reckon gold hitting the $800 mark last year was a key sign that something was very wrong.

Edited by spotthedog

Guest mattsta1964
When Alistair Darling's first budget consisted of nothing except the word "stability" repeated over and over again.

Sir Talbot!

Your signature graphic is absolutely fab!

I haven't posted on HPC for months so have some catching up to do.

My personal expectation of housing market doom was back in 2001, especially after 9-11

I watched, mouth and eyes agape as the madness continued for another 6 years.........thinking......this JUST CANNOT GO ON!

The level of criminality, the sheer breathtaking scope and magnitude of what has happened is terrifying. The complicity of the media and the political class doing nothing to intervene speaks volumes about how far things have deteriorated. Never in my wildest nightmares did I expect the UK to be hijacked by fascists.....but NuLabour are without doubt the most dangerous, authortarian, reptillian bunch of crooks ever to have gained power in the UK.

I'm emigrating to Oregon on the Pacific Northwest coast. We have an acre and a half of mortgage free land with water and services and we have a trailer home here. We are opting out altogether, growing our own food, catching salmon on the river and just hoping we have a few good years together before America slides into fascism, bankruptcy and chaos.

I still think America is a good choice, despite Bush, Cheney and the dollar debacle. There's a real sense of community here, very little crime and people help eachother out. It's very liberal, no god botherers or rabid NeoCons. Everyone here seems to be ashamed of their government and the state of the economy. $4.20 a gallon at the moment. Seems like paradise to me but for a logger running a Ford F350 pick-up, it's hell on earth. LOL!

I wont miss life in England. It's a boot camp for mugs and suckers and the country is finished, a basket case for the EU scum to pick up. They'll have a tougher time enslaving the people out here. People will fight for their freedom....and so will I if needs be.

I was very uncomforatbale in 2003 and in 2004 we got the chance to leave the UK so we did. I was convinced things couldnt go on booming so my timing was a little off, however all the nasties that we new were lurking are happening and for some reason I think it seems to have ballooned a bit more this week.

In totally consistent style I am sure the government will bugger it all up even more. :(

I was in Kefalonia Greece, we'd had an minor tremor in the morning, couldn't get access to the web, went into the capital and none of the atms were working. Folk were actually beginning to panic, mainly the UK tourists :rolleyes: That evening got back, went to an internet cafe and read a few links re. the heart attack the banking system had just had. Quite prophetic looking back; quake, no money, a boat ride from 'Homer's island'...

Last August in Sweden when somebody handed me a British newspaper and pointed to the news about the turbulence in the markets. My spider sense told me that that really was the turning point.