House Price Crash Forum

Bank Of England Could Spring Surprise Interest Rate Hike

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

There's a nice article in Private Eye today - the `Called to Ordure' column describing Merv's appearance before the Treasury Select Committee.

" Mervyn King, previously the dullest of Dereks, was recently given his second term as Bank Governor despite tensions with Alistair Darling (he thinks Darling is a t*sser and the feeling is richly reciprocated)"

The article goes on to describe a coded argument about who leaked the news that Northern Rock was in trouble - the MPs blamed the B of E, Merv blamed politicians (possibly meaning Darling).

If the article is accurate about the relationships, Merv might not feel too constrained to do what Ali D wants re interest rates. Lets hope so.

Y

Edited by yokel

HOLA444

HBOS house price data always comes out on the morning of an MPC rate setting decision. I expect another large fall in HBOS House Price figures of between minus 1.5 and minus 2.5%. HBOS will be hoping that this will put pressure on MPC to hold. However, I agree with Ma-Ku, many lenders have been reducing rates in past few days - are they expecting a hike? :blink:

HOLA445
I think a few of the big lenders have reduced their mortgage rates a bit over the last couple of weeks. I think they are expecting a raise which will then be passed on, wiping out the recent reductions.

Which makes even more sense we you consider they appeared to do the opposite (hike just before rate day) around the time of the last three cuts, so they could "pass on the cut". I may be reading far too much into this, but a number of them (Abbey, I seem to remember as an obvious one) did hike suspiciously close to a nailed-on cert cut rate day.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'd vote for a 1% rise, show the market that the BOE don't feck about when it comes to inflation, force industry to trim the fat and set us up for a massive rally once the weak have been weeded from the herd.

Sure for those paying an average (100K) mortgage, it would mean a £64 a month increase in the cost of a mortgage, but the cost decrease in gas/lecky/food and petrol gained from a stronger pound would offset alot of that pain.

But my money would be on "Hold" as although I think Merv would have the spine, I doubt the poltical will exists, house prices and the misguided percieved wealth HPI brings is what need sorting, saddly no one has the balls to address it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417