House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crash Buyer

A&l 1yr Bond 7.5%

Seriously though, this is age discrimination <_< - how do they get away with it? Is it worth complaining and to whom?

I was thinking that too, surely these 50+ accounts contravene the age discrimination laws that came in a couple of years back? No idea who one complains to though.

Are £20 notes from a 50+ year old worth more to A&L than those from a 44 year old ?

They may argue that a 53 year old may on average leave their money in an account for longer than a 28 year old, but a 1 year bond requires money to be left in the account for 1 year, so what difference does it make if you are 18 or 80 ?

It`s like those small businesses that advertise "10% discount for OAPs", if I was looking to employ one of these companies, and I wasn`t an OAP, I`d be going elsewhere. Why should I subsidise a (supposed) 10% discount for elderly customers ?

Surely this is age discrimination, isn`t it about time these sorts of offers were challenged legally ?

Are £20 notes from a 50+ year old worth more to A&L than those from a 44 year old ?

They may argue that a 53 year old may on average leave their money in an account for longer than a 28 year old, but a 1 year bond requires money to be left in the account for 1 year, so what difference does it make if you are 18 or 80 ?

The banks and building societies know that the older saver is more likely to me more apathetic about changing accounts. So, when a high paying bond finishes the money goes into another account which pays a much lower rate until the account holder does a closure/transfer.

Also if A&L are now advertising a 7.5% bond, even though this is restricted to over 50's, is this not a warning sign that they are desperate for cash?