House Price Crash Forum

Would A Stamp Duty Holiday Encourage You To Buy?

DC10

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Shedfish

interesting article on the page -

Chancellor considering stamp duty deferment plan

The Treasury is also considering setting up a new tax-free savings mechanism to make it easier for people to save money for a deposit.

i've been saving for a house for a few years, and been taxed til the pips squeak on the interest. can i have a rebate Mr Darling?

probably not - probably all hot air, enough to launch a fleet of balloons

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Ha ha ha, It says to DEFER paying your stamp duty! That's really funny. People used to defer paying it by getting a 125 'together' mortgage from Northern Rock and borrowing stamp duty. Now good old Alistair will lend you the money so you can pay it as tax.

Sad and pathetic. He should have some balls and declare no stamp duty whatsoever for 12 months. He isn't going to get much anyway :lol: .

HOLA4410

The people who voted yes are probably the people who aren't aware of what the word "defer" means, and are assuming it means "remove" or "scrap".

In real terms, it makes absolutely zero difference. Still have to pay it, just a little bit later.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So let me think about this...

Property market inflates and one of the biggest mortgage banks 'NR' goes bust, so we use pulbic money to bail them out...

then they post 583mill losses - and we use public money to bail them out... 3 billion....??? 2.4 bill for coffee and cakes then I suppose...

then they want us to keep buying into the housing market and as an incentive, want to remove (conservatives) or defer (labour) THE main taxes on property purchases....

So.. essentially... they would rather take the money to keep sustaining the market from EVERYONE (in the form of other taxes) in order to keep funding the banks and people buying houses at inflated prices...

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt this go to show how much the government intend on screwing everyone who has saved in cash and isnt housebuying (i.e. a lot of us) and rewarding failing banks (i.e. NR)... and if the bailouts continue (in the US and UK) how much our currencies will devalue...

IMO - recipe for disaster

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

"Would A Stamp Duty Holiday Encourage You To Buy?"

Dude, if I had a quarter of a million pounds to spend, I would not be thinking about buying a shonky house in the United freaking Kingdom. I'd be spending my lottery winnings on a yaught on the Med loaded with coke as ballast and biatches to crew the damned thing. I don't see 1/4 mil coming my way anytime soon though unfortunately, our leaders think we all rich or something?? They off their heads with power or something rotten.

HOLA4415
"Would A Stamp Duty Holiday Encourage You To Buy?"

Dude, if I had a quarter of a million pounds to spend, I would not be thinking about buying a shonky house in the United freaking Kingdom. I'd be spending my lottery winnings on a yaught on the Med loaded with coke as ballast and biatches to crew the damned thing. I don't see 1/4 mil coming my way anytime soon though unfortunately, our leaders think we all rich or something?? They off their heads with power or something rotten.

You are Jay Z and I claim my £5

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest vicmac64

Yup, but only if its there in 3 years time!!! |House prices will fall over the next 3 years make no mistake about it (after taking inflation into account)

HOLA4419