House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paddles

Stamp Duty - If You Were, Why Would You Buy Now?

Just like the title says. Has Darling just spooked what little movement there was left in the market with his floating of a potential policy idea rather than keeping quiet until implementing it?

Who in their right mind wouldn't wait now? Not only are prices falling quicker than Patsy Kensit's underwear in the company of a fading rock star, but you could defer some tax by waiting.

Just like the title says. Has Darling just spooked what little movement there was left in the market with his floating of a potential policy idea rather than keeping quiet until implementing it?

Who in their right mind wouldn't wait now? Not only are prices falling quicker than Patsy Kensit's underwear in the company of a fading rock star, but you could defer some tax by waiting.

Maybe it's a double bluff.. they bring it in for a month, then tell everyone they are going to take it away again.. quick quick hurry! ;)

I just told somebody on another forum who is in a chain one above and one below about the stamp duty holiday, her reaction well I hope the chain doesn't fall apart, potentially going to spend £7k on stamp duty un necessarily but is more worried about the chain, people do not give a toss about stamp duty, most add it to the mortgage anyway.

Even if they completely removed stamp duty the result is, as we all know, that greedy sellers and greedy EAs will simply calculate the stamp duty on the current asking price of a property and then up the asking price by that much.

It will be a bit like that story of the fox carrying the scorpion across a river and the scorpion stinging the fox when halfway across - it is in their nature - and even if it means destroying what little chance they have of surviving this crash greedy sellers and EAs will still 'sting' themselves. It is in their nature you see.

1% saving :lol:

Is this the best they have to offer.

i'm wating for a 100% bailout from tax payers money before i jump in on the latest goverment offer.

Real people are so stupid as you can bet goverment have floated this idear to measure what FTB's think.

Go for it and i'll wait to cash in on the second wave of FTB's being sucked by this fantastic offer.

The actions and reactions of anyone daft enough to buy in this market will always defy rational analysis. I have met quite a few this year and cant even begin to speculate how they come to the conclusions they do.

If people will pay £50K, £100K or more for a prestige car that's certain to slump in value from day one of ownership, it's fair to assume that some people will buy a property they really want, even if they think it might go down in value.

Is this the best they have to offer.

i'm wating for a 100% bailout from tax payers money before i jump in on the latest goverment offer.

Real people are so stupid as you can bet goverment have floated this idear to measure what FTB's think.

Go for it and i'll wait to cash in on the second wave of FTB's being sucked by this fantastic offer.

Justice I object to your signature on the basis that i cannot do anything to change GB or BP or exon mobil

Edited by correction

Don't knock 1%, according to Haliwide I'd have to wait a whole 18 days to save that much on a house.

Edited by russell

Guest Shedfish

looks like Darling's having a bit of a Lamont moment (start of Chancellorship -> present)

i see this as damaging confidence and sentiment even further, to say nothing of the effect on HMRC's coffers...

but who knows what it will take to stop stupid people buying overpriced houses. i hope no-one who doesn't have to buy isn't sucked in by this

Posted on another thread, I'm buying at the moment, the confusion means I am absolutely not going to exchange until there is clarity. If the chain fails, so be it.

Posted on another thread, I'm buying at the moment, the confusion means I am absolutely not going to exchange until there is clarity. If the chain fails, so be it.

Well if memory serves me you are ok with paying £40k stamp duty because you can afford it and don't care, just want your £40k in stamp duty properly managed. Instead of the chain failing why aren't you looking at what you/your family would like/ what's on the market/ what is a realistic offer?

Don't get me wrong should you (and your family) found a home you (all feel) is home not an investment is right, then pay for it. Just don't think it's prudent short term.

Seriously look at why you believe you should be buying now. Do you know any money brokers?Empty boxes make the most noise.