House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Injin

Selling The Family Silver

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge...134060620080801

Roads, airports on the block as budgets tighten

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Cash-strapped U.S. state and city governments are likely to sell or lease more highways, bridges, airports and other assets to investors desperate for stable returns after being frazzled by the credit crisis.

The trend is set to pick up speed given worsening budget deficits in state capitals and city halls nationwide.

It will also be welcomed by Wall Street bankers hoping to help create and market so-called "infrastructure" transactions at a time many debt markets remain paralyzed, and after major U.S. stock indexes fell into bear market territory.

"When you are nervous about everything else, you put your money in a toll road," said John Schmidt, a partner at the law firm Mayer Brown LLP in Chicago. "That's the logic of infrastructure. Returns are stable and predictable. You won't get fabulously rich, but you'll get stable cash flow."

I hereby name this is the Chindian sovereign wealth fund express. That will be ten dollars.

Edited by Injin

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge...134060620080801

I hereby name this is the Chindian sovereign wealth fund express. That will be ten dollars.

Agree up to a point. French autoroute use is down nearly 10% on last year's summer figures. Petrol prices and credit crunch is seeing people stay at home or take the train to their holiday destination. Or staying at home. I'm waiting for a first ever experience....toll road companies REDUCING prices to entice drivers back onto them. Then we'll know things are getting bad :lol:

So tolls will price the poor of the roads, a quick cash fix with long term consequences. More short term policies which leaves a nice mess for the future tax payers to sort out.

As far as I remember the Austrlian Macquarie Group Ltd own the M6 Toll road. I can never understand why

they can put tolls on roads. I thought we paid for the roads with the road tax.

In the future they can incorporate this in with ID cards as a form of access control. So the more wealthy you are the more access you have. If you are working poor you only have access from home to work and back and maybe one trip to the seaside a year. Freedom isnt free anymore.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
As far as I remember the Austrlian Macquarie Group Ltd own the M6 Toll road. I can never understand why

they can put tolls on roads. I thought we paid for the roads with the road tax.

In the future they can incorporate this in with ID cards as a form of access control. So the more wealthy you are the more access you have. If you are working poor you only have access from home to work and back and maybe one trip to the seaside a year. Freedom isnt free anymore.

It is when you have a donkey.

Experience Donkey Freedom.

The best kind.

Before I die, donkeys will make up a substantial proportion of London travel.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

It is when you have a donkey.

Experience Donkey Freedom.

The best kind.

Before I die, donkeys will make up a substantial proportion of London travel.

I'd be careful stating things like that in the open GCHQ may pass it onto to Brown and then we'll have a Donkey owning tax, donkey speeding fines you could have created a whole new stream of govt revenue.....

We'll have donkeys and proper urban vegetable gardens, manured by donkeys.

Mark my words, the days when we could say, "I remember when everyone had a Range Rover" are passing.

We'll have donkeys and proper urban vegetable gardens, manured by donkeys.

Mark my words, the days when we could say, "I remember when everyone had a Range Rover" are passing.

I think we will see a time where a donkey is worth more than a house.... :ph34r:

I think we will see a time where a donkey is worth more than a house.... :ph34r:

We must never allow donkeys to be purchased on or require credit.

Welcome back Injin

If only he'd waited one more day before coming back - I was gonna start an "Injin's greatest hits" thread :D with all his best quotes including:

"I find it quaint that people think the government does anything to the economy other than steal from it"

"State education is designed to make peopel stupid and compliant. It's massive child abuse. Literally having no formal education whatsoever is batter than it."

Is there an upcoming UK edition of sellling the family silver?

Oh wait - some knob already sold half the Gold!

Hopefully you are being ironic. The family silver went long before the gold.