House Price Crash Forum

Oil Down, Yellow Stuff Down, Ftse Up

HOLA441

This is a genuine question, as title says, the Oil price has fallen again, gold seems to be going down and the FTSE going up. Where are the Hedge funds putting their money now? back into the FTSE? - although it seems oil related stocks are falling heavily and non-oil stocks rising, this may make some sense as with lower energy costs potential company profits could be increased.

The cynic in me says we're being set up for the mother of all crashes, i.e. everyone pile back into the FTSE as it's increasing and then comes the big one.

Does anyone know where the "smart" hedge fund money is going at the moment?

HOLA442
This is a genuine question, as title says, the Oil price has fallen again, gold seems to be going down and the FTSE going up. Where are the Hedge funds putting their money now? back into the FTSE? - although it seems oil related stocks are falling heavily and non-oil stocks rising, this may make some sense as with lower energy costs potential company profits could be increased.

The cynic in me says we're being set up for the mother of all crashes, i.e. everyone pile back into the FTSE as it's increasing and then comes the big one.

Does anyone know where the "smart" hedge fund money is going at the moment?

Housing?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Copper is down to a 4-month low, still $7600 a ton! Still over $1000 higher than Dec '07 though.

Demand finally tailing off from the East?

Nope.

Market getting wacked so the PTB in the US can say everything is all sorted and then they will lower IR.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Isn't the FTSE just a DOW tracker these days? Mentioned before by another poster on here.

DOW went up after London close yesterday. Opened up again today so FTSE has risen steadily all day.

I check out other European markets now and again, CAC, DAX, IBEX etc and they basically all seem to rise or go down together, with the odd blip for 'local' difficulties such as the rogue trader in France, German bank woes, Spanish builders and so on. Roughly, add 1000 pts to the french Cac to get the FTSE 100, add another 1000 to get the DAX. This has been the trend, roughly for the last few months. (Dax has fallen further than FTSE since Dec 07 though).

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

HOLA4416
Calm before the storm. Autumn is where it´s all going to unravel IMO.

Yup its a lovely false bottom supported by the media. Some very silly people out there still have a lot tied up in equities & property. They know how much sh1te is headed fanward, have a few mates in high places, and are creating a bulltrap just so they can get out together. Some of these mates are in meeja and they are all too happy to help and be thankfull for the "tip" that thats been on the wall for years. Given how widesread and desparate this is accros tha markets and the press at the moment I reckon we wont have to wait till Autumn - the repos have only just started over here - wait till they pick up then hold on to your cub scout milkshake for a Jim'll Fix it rollercoaster to hell!

Edited by sbn

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Seems strange that only 3 weeks ago we were seeing the likes of Barratt falling to 35p a share -someone has made big bucks since - and do I detect a bullish mood starting to creep back into the UK housing equation ?

Yes.

We had best cut interest rates and pull ourselves out of recession, eh?

HOLA4419

Gvt meddling in our so-called free markets is giving them misguided confidence. I sold all of my gold (and foreign currency holdings) about 3 weeks ago when it was 960/oz. I think the stock markets' dead cat bounce - and hence bottom for gold - will be shortly after the US general election in early November. I plan to buy back in to foreign currencies and gold just before then.

EDIT: All of the above based on gut instinct. Please don't ask for charts and algorithms for me to prove my conclusions.

Edited by RajD

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
thanks for bravely coming on here and mentioning that at the time.

:lol:

Didn't want to look like an idiot if i was wrong. Anyway I would have thought that the Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac bailout would have been the sell signal for a lot of people holding PMs.

Edited by RajD

HOLA4422

Market data now showing Brent Crude at $118, down $6 (4.9%)! WTI crude at $119. Further falls likely as hurricane Eduardo has missed the Gulf of Mexico platforms and refineries.

Edited for correct geography.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

HOLA4423
Market data now showing Brent Crude at $118, down $6 (4.9%)! WTI crude at $119. Further falls likely as hurricane Eduardo has missed the Caribbean platforms.

Has there been the first "let's cut interest rates" broadcast yet?

They usually wait until around this time.

HOLA4424
its notable that house builders and banks have had huge gains to day.!!!!

i simply dont get it. are they saying crisis over ?

Banks, house builders and many natural resources companies have been yo-yoing heavily but on a general path downwards. Highly volatile - lots of uncertainty, lots of short-term speculation. Ignore any day to day movement. Look at a financial magazine that shows 10 biggest winners and losers of the week. The companies in the respective lists regularly swap places.

While I wouldn't deem to give investment advice, I purchased a reasonable amount of SOIL last week (not the brown stuff) but an ETF (exchange traded fund) that inversely tracks the oil price ie. oil declines in price, the fund goes up. A cheap and easy way to short oil. Worth a look to hold for a few months at least if you think that everyone around the world is now getting out of their speculative holdings in oil as demand cools down. (do own research etc.)

HOLA4425