House Price Crash Forum

Uk Tops The Ranks Of Global Pessimists

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business...sts-885305.html

British consumers are the grumpiest in the Western world, according to economists at BNP Paribas.

Reviewing barometers of consumer confidence in Europe and the United States, they conclude that "if there was a competition for the country with the most pessimistic consumers, the UK would be the winner".

The GfK/NOP poll of consumer confidence, published recently, showed that British households were more miserable about their fortunes than at any time since the survey began in 1974. The housing crash of the early 1990s, two miners' strikes, various energy crises, the three-day week, 9/11, 7/7, and the threat of nuclear annihilation during the cold war all failed to shred our optimism as comprehensively as the credit crunch.

Irrational as such an outlook may be, surveys of consumer confidence display a close correlation with spending in the shops, suggesting that the carnage on the high street is only just beginning.

Alan Clarke, UK economist at BNP Paribas, said: "Despite the undoubted pedigree of the competition, the UK consumer easily wins the title of the most pessimistic in Europe and probably the developed world ... Even US confidence has been more resilient."

The British are, it seems, much more depressed about prospects than countries with much worse objective economic difficulties. Spain, for example, is grappling with double-digit unemployment rates and a housing crash, Ireland has seen a sharp slowdown, Denmark is already in recession, and Iceland faces 15.5 per cent interest rates. Yet the UK consumer still refuses to look on the bright side.

"Not only does the UK win the title for the weakest of the lot, it also takes the gold medal for diving. The UK index has fallen most from peak to trough, bellyflopping from the top diving board compared to Ireland's commendable performance from the lower, three-metre springboard."

By contrast, confidence levels in the traditionally ebullient United States have not shifted very much in recent months.

Nor do things appear on the brink of recovery, given the reasons for the downbeat mood in Britain: "Surging inflation and rising unemployment are likely to have been the main contributors. Given the recently announced huge increases in utility bills, which came after the consumer confidence survey was conducted, there remains scope for a further decline in the coming months.

Can the spin doctors turn this into a positive?

You've never been more gloomier than under Labour?

HOLA442

Doesn't surprise me.

Look at how many people on this and other forums talk about the country going to the dogs. There's a general mood of negativity that has been around for a while now even before the credit crunch.

Me personally, I've travelled quiet widely and deal with people from all over the world in my job and the grass is not greener elsewhere. For all its faults, this country has lots going for it and people need to stop and think for a moment to realise how fortunate they are to be here and how much opportunity to improve their lot actually exists right on their doorstep.

HOLA443
HOLA444

its the grey summer weather and the rain and the poor tracksuit culture in the new youth, to the regressive attitudes of the selfish nimbys.

or maybe its the high taxation and high snoop factor. the point that councils now 'own' you and your not free to choose what you want personally.

its a country full of do gooders that dont do any good.

HOLA445

Basically we Brits are misrable b*****s who revel in misfortune (ideally of other people) and then look for ways of punishing those who are suffering. We come up with economic theories to justify neglecting others and sociological theories to justify punishing others.

Proof? Just consider the newspapers that have the biggest readership - never happy unless there's a problem to blame on somebody and an unfortunate to penalise for it.

We even use "doing good" as a term of abuse. ;)

HOLA446
Basically we Brits are misrable b*****s who revel in misfortune (ideally of other people) and then look for ways of punishing those who are suffering. We come up with economic theories to justify neglecting others and sociological theories to justify punishing others.

Proof? Just consider the newspapers that have the biggest readership - never happy unless there's a problem to blame on somebody and an unfortunate to penalise for it.

Very well said! This website should be highlighted as the glowing beacon for UK based pessimists!

The thing is WembleyBoy is spot on, I too have travelled and worked in many countries and we do have it easy, even now! The UK is a great place to be despite what the gloomy lot on here say, the future COULD be bright even in the near term if people stopped being so damn miserable.

Interesting to read comments about preying on other peoples misfortunes, basically what this site seems to have turned into, more about who can come up with the best reasons to explain why things are going to implode as opposed to balanced debates about what is happening and how to resolve the issues.

Still some very wise and sensible people on here though! just few and far between.

HOLA447

havent you ever sat back and really looked at the 'quality' of british life ?

the overall quality ???

that advert on tv for cider makes me laugh as its based around the english summer holiday thing. going on about how 'we brits' and theres a blazing sun and happiness, yet take a walk today to anywhere. all you will see are miserable bastards mostly. in three groups more or less. nimby bastards. chavs with no future. workers with heavy debt. rain. grey with an overall 'look out anti terror message' background. its become oppressive. pointless and mind numbingly unsatisfying. the tv stinks as theres too many ads. the bill to earning ratio stinks. the social culture is limited to the most drunk person in attendance. driving is a crime. work is compulsory.

its hard to see the future in the uk improving. all these things have come to us since 2001.

HOLA448
Doesn't surprise me.

Look at how many people on this and other forums talk about the country going to the dogs. There's a general mood of negativity that has been around for a while now even before the credit crunch.

Me personally, I've travelled quiet widely and deal with people from all over the world in my job and the grass is not greener elsewhere. For all its faults, this country has lots going for it and people need to stop and think for a moment to realise how fortunate they are to be here and how much opportunity to improve their lot actually exists right on their doorstep.

Whilst I agree that the UK is better than many countries (am working in Sudan at present ;) ) I also don't buy the idea that just because we are better off then many other countries, we therefore shouldn't mind UK plc going to the dogs! We are all creatures of relativity and the gloom we feel is about our country getting worse and worse in many areas coupled with a hangover from the something for nothing years.

Generally people are happy when they are in control of their day to day lives, and their life path. I'd argue that we have more opportunites (career and travel wise - also live expectancy) than most in terms of life path, but from a day-to-day perspective, a bloke in a village in Africa where I am has far more freedom than most blokes in the UK. Why, just today I saw a pre 10 year old kid riding a motorbike down the main street! Now that's freedom :P:P

HOLA449

Britain is a bloody marvellous place but unfortunately it is full of British people, oh errr and lots and lots of unwelcome non British people. Wy do they all come flocking, must be the cheery disposition of the welcoming populace and the chance to get knifed by a thick little toerag with no education.

HOLA4410
havent you ever sat back and really looked at the 'quality' of british life ?

the overall quality ???

that advert on tv for cider makes me laugh as its based around the english summer holiday thing. going on about how 'we brits' and theres a blazing sun and happiness, yet take a walk today to anywhere. all you will see are miserable bastards mostly. in three groups more or less. nimby bastards. chavs with no future. workers with heavy debt. rain. grey with an overall 'look out anti terror message' background. its become oppressive. pointless and mind numbingly unsatisfying. the tv stinks as theres too many ads. the bill to earning ratio stinks. the social culture is limited to the most drunk person in attendance. driving is a crime. work is compulsory.

its hard to see the future in the uk improving. all these things have come to us since 2001.

YES! YES! YES! You hit the flipping nail on the head. Do you think it's a coincidence that britain was the first industrialised country? 250 years of making humans into robots is bound to have an effect on society.

HOLA4411
YES! YES! YES! You hit the flipping nail on the head. Do you think it's a coincidence that britain was the first industrialised country? 250 years of making humans into robots is bound to have an effect on society.

Crap weather and massive job insecurity never helps, longer commutes, less family time, and the smallest sq ft'age living conitions etc etc. Hence why brits give up thier 2 week break from a miserable weather/life as an absolute last resort!

Avg SQ ft owned per EU contry? Avg population pe SQ (occupied) KM? no wonder we are all stabbing each other.

HOLA4412

Number one in teenage pregnancy,

Despite living in the fifth richest country, the next generation of UK citizens experience some of the worst levels of poverty. The research found they regard themselves as less happy, and that they drank more alcohol, took more drugs, and had more underage sex than children overseas.

The Unicef report, which prompted outrage from children's charities and embarrassment for the Government which has lavished billions on child health and education, placed the UK last in the survey of 21 nations, which included Europe as well as the United States, Canada and Japan.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...ted-436302.html

Of course being negative about the UK isn't a bad thing, we want to do better. Just Labour have messed up most things.

That's Labour, New Labour, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair.

Edited by maxwell

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I am debt free and happy. Wembley boy is spot on. Anyone who thinks this is a bad place to live should just leave. Maybe we would get some peace and quiet with all the moaners gone.

Err, I thought you left and haven't been resident for 20 years?

Edit: Unless I am thinking of another poster

Edited by maxwell

HOLA4419

I think this country's alright to live in, but I wouldn't want to raise kids here...

We've got a generation of chavs to deal with even if things improve, and I have a feeling that it's going to be a blight on our society for a long time to come.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4420

No, that's me. I was out of the country for 18 years. I did not leave because I thought it was crap here. I was offered a job, and took it. I was not sure whether or not I would come back, but now I have. I am happy living here again. I was happy before I left too. The things people moan about here though is very strange. The weather FFS !! There is nothing wrong with the weather here. I like the seasons here. My point is, if someone does not like living here, then why stay?

HOLA4421

No, that's me. I was out of the country for 18 years. I did not leave because I thought it was crap here. I was offered a job, and took it. I was not sure whether or not I would come back, but now I have. I am happy living here again. I was happy before I left too. The things people moan about here though is very strange. The weather FFS !! There is nothing wrong with the weather here. I like the seasons here. My point is, if someone does not like living here, then why stay?

So good, I posted it twice !!

Edited by uptherams

HOLA4422

Ha, this reminds me, a friend at school in the eighties when asked what the ****** they were doing, said "waiting for the next ice age Miss". I am agreed, if you don't like it, f off!

HOLA4423
Hmm, flip side is that you often need this sh*t to give birth to some great music. What would Joy Division have sounded like if the area had been warm and nice with everyone gainfully employed and happy, especially when the sun shined?!. ;)

Sorry, but can I just say that I hate the group Moron 5 - reminds me of late 80's Yuppie good-time music. I just have this mental picture of some wan*ker sitting in his 2-bedroom luxury appartment with his BMW parked below listening to that sh*t thinking how he's made it....... not.

Listen and watch this video - :lol:

I agree Catflap.

From music would we have had The Jam, The Smiths, Radiohead, Joy Division. Possibly my 4 faves BTW.

Or from film Trainspotting, Withnail and I, Dead Mans shoes, Naked ????

Without all the miserable conditions which make great art? No.

I live in Oz now so I guess I've made the choice to live in country that makes me happy but is a bit light on the old artistic output side of things.

Guess it comes down to your priorities?

HOLA4424
I think this country's alright to live in, but I wouldn't want to raise kids here...

We've got a generation of chavs to deal with even if things improve, and I have a feeling that it's going to be a blight on our society for a long time to come.

We are overseas and would like to come back, BUT i don't think like you point out, I would like my kids to grow up there. Life here is exceptionally good for the kids. I hate what hs happened to the UK.

HOLA4425
For all its faults, this country has lots going for it and people need to stop and think for a moment to realise how fortunate they are to be here and how much opportunity to improve their lot actually exists right on their doorstep.

Lots going for it? , like what pray tell? if you are one of the boomers sure if you are starting out your career <30 years old type there is nothing here for you, except to participate in the huge pyramid scheme (pensions) which will collaspe before anybody will is paying for it now will receive it.

The improve your lot ability has diminished massively, with increased taxes , and supressed wages badly supressed wages and high costs of housing + living enourmous numbers of people live like I used to 40% rent 30% taxes, 10% bills 10% food and luxuries.

And you aren't comparing like for like, emotive arguements like how fortunate we are, its like comparing Zimabwe to the UK , of course the UK is better than Zimabwe but you aren't comparing like for like.

Fair comparisoms would be

France

Germany

Switzerland

US

Canada

NZ

Hong Kong

Singapore