House Price Crash Forum

Southampton Has Gone Through The £100,000 Mark

HOLA441
HOLA442

Not often I'd seriously use the term 'bargain' in relation to property but this looks like a bargain. Unless it's got unseen problems, that is.

At £90K, even if it goes down in value more, it's not likely to lose more than £20K, which is liveable with for someone who actually wants a house as a home..

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

This is interesting as its in the same road as a wreck of a house that sold in auction for 90k two weeks ago. Its in the middle of a council estate which is not too bad for vandalism but does have a reputation. In fact I bought my first house not 100 yards from there 35 years ago for 5k. These houses have been up for sale in early 2007 for close to 150k. In my opinion there must be something wrong with this house to be so cheap, I would think 115k should be closer to the mark.

HOLA446
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Not often I'd seriously use the term 'bargain' in relation to property but this looks like a bargain. Unless it's got unseen problems, that is.

At £90K, even if it goes down in value more, it's not likely to lose more than £20K, which is liveable with for someone who actually wants a house as a home..

£45k. It's a home for an average wage earner in a time of high general inflation, low wage inflation and increasing tax burden.

I suggest any parent with offspring in their 20s and 30s ask what they are earning and what debt obligations they have.

Then you'll see how far down these things are going to go.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA447

Decent house by the looks of it for a small family, but I wouldn't say it counts as a huge shift in values. I would be looking for 25% + falls in the adjacent areas of West End and Chartwell Green before I got excited about Southampton. In the latter areas flats and 2-beds are still advertised in the 170+ bracket. When those start tanking then we know we're in for a treat. Incidentally, my dad downsized in the area a while back. Nearly broke my heart as I was born in the house, but no way could I afford to buy it. The house was bought by, you guessed it, a builder, who had loads of plans to put on a new roof, massive garage and maybe turn it in to a working environment. Apparently, he was turned down by planning on all fronts and has done nothing to the place. That whole road was taken over my upsizing builders, plumbers and tilers 2004-07. Now they're all skint, I'm seriously beginning to think I might be able to buy back my childhood home for a knockdown price in 2011... :)