House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
former_optimist

Stamp Duty Holiday?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I can't see this working. The monetary system is broken.

I think tomorrow morning at 8:10am on the "Today" program BBC Radio4.

It looks like he'll actually be doing this stamp duty holiday then. Thanks for the heads up!

This would have zero effect. The market is shot. No confidence. No lending. No FTBs. Downward prices etc etc.

This is Chancer Brown we are talking about here.

He has already budgeted for £ xxx,000,000 stamp duty coming into the coffers and now knows SFA of it will appear.

Using the usual spin, he will announce his stamp duty amnesty in order to "support" the unsustainable bubble. He knows full well this will not make the slightest difference to the housing market.

However, he now has the excuse to borrow the £ xxx,000,000 that was expected to be raised by stamp duty.

Just like he borrowed billions to pay for his 10p tax fiasco.

100% guaranteed. :angry:

Krustie says it's Stamp Duty that has been the whole problem. According to her theory, house prices will now start rocketing again.

Why didn't we listen?

Krustie says it's Stamp Duty that has been the whole problem. According to her theory, house prices will now start rocketing again.

Why didn't we listen?

Maybe Krustie and Quisling Brown are in flagrante delicto

However, he now has the excuse to borrow the £ xxx,000,000 that was expected to be raised by stamp duty.

Very cynical thinking, I think your spot on.

Edited to add :

Providing temporary stamp duty holiday lasts for a 1-3 year window we will be quids in when we finally buy back in.

Edited by tuggybear

Guest KingCharles1st

And only 1 out of every 100 people will understand what he is doing- the other 99 will not care, or understand....

I thought I couldn't disrespect this pathetic government any more than I already did.

I'm almost impressed they've found a way to add to it :angry:

will be interseting to see the detes of this. cannot imagine it will be for props above 250k which could make those in the 250-300 bracket impossible to shift.

hmm, seems unlikely to do much in the 125-250k 1% band, given they seem to be falling by more than that in three weeks at the moment. Might as well wait until they cost less than 125k!

Above 250k, need to wait 6 weeks at the current rate to save the 3%.

If true, cannot imagine it doing much. One look at the house price graph says it all.

The danger with the current Government is they start splashing cash in a desperate bid to retain power. Labour Governments are not noted for fiscal control when TRYING to be frugal. Think how much they could piss against a wall if minded to buy votes..

Edited by cheeznbreed

will be interseting to see the detes of this. cannot imagine it will be for props above 250k which could make those in the 250-300 bracket impossible to shift.

Which may lead to people pricing down to be able to take part in forthcoming 'selling bonanza' :rolleyes: that will surely result- having the effect of depressing house prices further- I like it!

£250k-£300k has always been impossible to shift.

Which may lead to people pricing down to be able to take part in forthcoming 'selling bonanza' :rolleyes: that will surely result- having the effect of depressing house prices further- I like it!

please, please

that would be typical Gord as well - going for headlines but not thinking of the consequences

£250k-£300k has always been impossible to shift.

He will have an amnesty on stamp for all properties less than £500k. He will fund this by borrowing to make up for his previous budgets projection. This will allow him to pay the public sector. It will also mean massive inflation to come.

Thank you.

They tried this in Ireland - it had absolutely no effect whatsoever, mainly because a couple of £k in tax means nothing when the house is £40,000 too expensive to afford.

Plus, a "holiday" is not a cut - it still has to be paid.

This would probably be perceived as an act of desperation- not what we like to see from our politicians; and hence loose voter confidence. There should not be stamp duty anyway. 'Holiday' makes it sound 'fun'; lets all buy houses and party like it's 1999.