House Price Crash Forum

Hpc Even Affecting Animals

juvenal

HOLA441

Turned my mind to things other than housing this morning, just a couple of weeks after losing my 17 year old cat Fred to old age. Another cat needed, a cat needing a good home.

At the Cat's Protection League in Bournemouth they told me they were overrun with cats and kittens, because owners are dumping them 'due to the credit crunch'. I asked if owners were so 'close to the wire' they really couldn't afford the upkeep of a cat, and they said some certainly were.

On a shelf by the cattery window was a huge, beautiful ginger cat. Just arrived in the cattery. Unfortunately I couldn't have him, because he came from a house just a quarter of a mile from me, and might try to return home.

'His owner was evicted yesterday' said the cattery lady 'repossessed'...

'Repossessed'..'credit crunch'

You can't get away from it folks, the squeeze is really on.

PS I left with a large 5 year old male, tabby called Panda. he's asleep in my kitchen at this moment, and will live regally in a large quiet house with his own garden, once he's settled in. You can see him on www.bournemouthcats.org.uk

But you can't have him, he's got a new home....

HOLA442
Turned my mind to things other than housing this morning, just a couple of weeks after losing my 17 year old cat Fred to old age. Another cat needed, a cat needing a good home.

At the Cat's Protection League in Bournemouth they told me they were overrun with cats and kittens, because owners are dumping them 'due to the credit crunch'. I asked if owners were so 'close to the wire' they really couldn't afford the upkeep of a cat, and they said some certainly were.

On a shelf by the cattery window was a huge, beautiful ginger cat. Just arrived in the cattery. Unfortunately I couldn't have him, because he came from a house just a quarter of a mile from me, and might try to return home.

PS I left with a large 5 year old male, tabby called Panda. he's asleep in my kitchen at this moment, and will live regally in a large quiet house with his own garden, once he's settled in. You can see him on www.bournemouthcats.org.uk

Good work.

HOLA443

He`s gorgeous.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I would agree we breed British Blue, normally have a waiting list at £350. had to give them away for £200 this time :( That was my bathroom refurb money slipping down the toilet :(

My photo's are too big apparently, I'll put one in my profile :)

Edited by Girly girl

HOLA448
I would agree we breed British Blue, normally have a waiting list at £350. had to give them away for £200 this time :( That was my bathroom refurb money slipping down the toilet :(

Have you got a picture of a British Blue?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I hope you train him to stay in his own garden. I want to exterminate the bl00dy cats that come into our garden sh1tting everywhere. For this reason alone, I hate cats.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I hope you train him to stay in his own garden. I want to exterminate the bl00dy cats that come into our garden sh1tting everywhere. For this reason alone, I hate cats.

I don't quite understand why it is acceptable to just let your cat out to wander unsupervised. 20 years ago people used to do the same with their dogs and this has now become illegal due to common sense. It's about time the same laws are brought in for cats. Apart from the damage that wandering cats cause to others, it's safer for cats to be kept indoors as they can't be run over or contract FIV.

HOLA4416

Congratulations Juvenal,

Would love to adopt some of the cats left behind but sadly I've become very allergic to cats. I come from a cat worshipping family so find this very hard indeed.

Give your new cat a pat for me!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I don't quite understand why it is acceptable to just let your cat out to wander unsupervised. 20 years ago people used to do the same with their dogs and this has now become illegal due to common sense. It's about time the same laws are brought in for cats. Apart from the damage that wandering cats cause to others, it's safer for cats to be kept indoors as they can't be run over or contract FIV.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping cats out of their garden (and sh11ting everywhere)? I've tried herbs, lemons, fisherman's catapault, Mr quine peeing in the garden and currently moth balls. The little bostards keep coming back. They must be quite intelligent as they recognise me as the mad banshee that tries to throw water over them. They drive me nuts.

HOLA4419
Does anyone have any tips for keeping cats out of their garden (and sh11ting everywhere)? I've tried herbs, lemons, fisherman's catapault, Mr quine peeing in the garden and currently moth balls. The little bostards keep coming back. They must be quite intelligent as they recognise me as the mad banshee that tries to throw water over them. They drive me nuts.

A waterpistol from a poundshop (Does elfin safety still allow them?) is pretty good. Our blooKat (not pictured, that's Evil Kitty) has effectively been dissuaded from hunting birds in a neighbour's garden by the use of one. Apparently neighbour is convinced her mother has come back as a bird. Probably a herring gull. :lol: You could try white pepper in dry areas.

HOLA4420

Try clear bottles of water, apparently they catch sight of themselves and either get a fright or they think it`s another cat and bugger off. A nice humane way, instead of shooting little kittykins.

HOLA4421

A rottweiler works wonders....

HOLA4422

You get a Cat,mine always uses next doors garden and keeps the other Cats away,a win win situation.

HOLA4423
You get a Cat,mine always uses next doors garden and keeps the other Cats away,a win win situation.

Yes that's why people hate cats. It's not actually the cats faults it's the bloody ignorant, irresponsible and selfish owners.

HOLA4424

Have you tried this stuff? http://www.silentroaronline.com/?gclid=CKr...CFROI1Qod-hyCqg I've heard it's pretty good, but luckily for me my dogs do the trick in keeping the cats away.

HOLA4425

Silent roar doesn't work that well... and I've tried little wooden BBQ skewers in the ground so there isn't anywhere for them to dig a whole and that was worse (as they didn't bother to dig...), herbs and plants don't seem to deter either.

I now use Chilli powder, as recommended by a friend, and it works like a charm - as soon as they come back again, (the powder washes away after rain, and the cats eventually try their luck again...) just put some more down - I'm going to try pepper powder next time I have to restock - I suspect it does the same job, but in a less colourful way - you can buy large bags of the stuff at your local asian/indian foods store for a very reasonable price (much cheaper than the supermarket)

I tries to do the water throwing thing, but kitty knows and runs before I've got a door or window open... my 89 year old grandmother however, is an excellent shot - there is always a primed supersoaker by her patio doors - she very quietly slides the doors open, and takes perfect aim!

Someone else on here previously recommended the ultra sonic noise things, but we've got a small garden, and wouldn't want for the animals nearby to be upset in their own gardens...