House Price Crash Forum

Bank Charges

HOLA441

All though i try to run a fiscally prudent ship, it can sometimes be hard having to take care of two kids, rent payments, gas electric, council tax, food, clothes petrol and every other little bill that comes along, but recently i have gone over drawn on two previous months with HSBC and this month they charged me 150.00 for the privilege, i know some of you will say i was irresponsible to allow this to happen, but it is not easy raising a family!

I asked HSBC to return some of the money as i thought the charges where excessive, they refused! I then told them, that i would like them to advise me, that of the 200,000 that has been deposited in my account over the last 2.5 years that they advise me of how much they have lent of that money through fractional reserve lending to other customers and at what interest rates,

am i doing the right thing fighting them and am i privy to this info?

HOLA442
All though i try to run a fiscally prudent ship, it can sometimes be hard having to take care of two kids, rent payments, gas electric, council tax, food, clothes petrol and every other little bill that comes along, but recently i have gone over drawn on two previous months with HSBC and this month they charged me 150.00 for the privilege, i know some of you will say i was irresponsible to allow this to happen, but it is not easy raising a family!

I asked HSBC to return some of the money as i thought the charges where excessive, they refused! I then told them, that i would like them to advise me, that of the 200,000 that has been deposited in my account over the last 2.5 years that they advise me of how much they have lent of that money through fractional reserve lending to other customers and at what interest rates,

I would find someone who speaks English to fight your case for you.

HOLA443

That's disgusitng, and I think you should stand your ground. If you do go ahead, let us know what happens. Going over 150 is nothing, but the banks over egg everything they can blood from.

We began putting an extra 200/month into savings from 3 months ago, and my Current account went over by 5 quid this month.....for one day...in fact less than a day...the same day my salary went in, and they said they'd removed 30 quid, but put it back again and as my account has been in good order. They knew I'd been abroad last week too.....5 quid!!!!!! Less than a day!!!!

The bank manager sent a slimy letter saying next time they'd not return the 30 quid.

Barclays.

Charming.

God help those in serius debts...I'd hate to be at the mercy of the banks.

HOLA444

Move your money to another bank.

HOLA445
I would find someone who speaks English to fight your case for you.

Far out Bear

grow up, your patronizing comments are not welcome.

When did The queen die and make you commander of the English tongue? Or is it your grammer school ass batting that has got you so worked up?

HOLA446
Far out Bear

grow up, your patronizing comments are not welcome.

When did The queen die and make you commander of the English tongue? Or is it your grammer school ass batting that has got you so worked up?

To be fair, you do not come across as the brightest star in the night sky.......and the poor spelling does not really help..........

Here is what you do:

1) Ask them to refund the £150. Advise that if they do not, you will move the £200K to another bank.

2) If they refuse, move the money to a 1 year NR bond paying 7%. Unless I am mistaken, HSBC do not pay anything like 7% on any of their products, so I suspect you will make far more in additional interest than the £150 they have taken from you.

HOLA447
HOLA448
f**k sake. What an utter c*ntish thing to say.

Thank you

over 600 posts and been a HPC observer since 2004 made some silly pots granted, but that is what 60 hours a week and a few beers do for you.

but we get some new member posting his 240 something post attacking my intellect

What a Moron

Thanks for your support Turnbull2000

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
To be fair, you do not come across as the brightest star in the night sky.......and the poor spelling does not really help..........

Don't you just hate it when some pedantic ass comes along and points out your spelling mistakes. I make them myself but i do not need people pointing them out.

Pond321 spelling mistakes below.

Fmous

specilialise

wierder

wordd

resouces

teachr

sh

Orietal

bemaoning

assuemes

believie

los

POT, KETTLE, BLACK

HOLA4412
but we get some new member posting his 240 something post attacking my intellect

No offence, but you do come across as rather confused. You would get more sympathy if you did not ask the bank confused questions (though even then MSE is a much better place if that is what you are after).

The answer to your question about FRB would be "at any particular time we lend out a large proportion of money we have on deposit", so there is no point asking. You can probably find out approximate answers to the rest of your questions in their annual report, so there is no point asking those either. Do you really expect them to say: "Oh now you mention it, we appreciate that while you are impecunious at this very moment and may or may not be able to pay your overdraft off, your account nevertheless generated a vast profit while you still had some money and we will therefore refund some of that profit. How much would you think is fair?" On top of this it seems you knowingly went overdrawn without getting an agreed overdraft (or a loan, or a credit card). Just how does that demonstrate the presence of intellect?

The "good" news is that you may be able to reclaim the fine once the current court case regarding punitive charges comes to an end, but that might yet take a while. You were clearly treated unfairly, and many would argue in contravention of the law. The way to approach this is to ask the bank *nicely*. That has worked for me without fail (three times in past 10 years).

Edited by MongerOfDoom

HOLA4413

Hey, sorry to hear about the bank charges, I've been there before myself. (although it's even worse when you can't physically afford to pay anything)

There was a very good article on moneysavingexpert.com about how to reclaim them, but unfortunately the banks have recently frozen all claims until some court can make make a blanket ruling on them.

HOLA4414

Maybe a stupid question but can't you arrange an overdraft with them? I've got a £700 overdraft limit on my account which I never deliberately use but it does come in handy when I make a mistake with my finances. Better the small amount of interest payments than a huge huge whopping fee