House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
renterbob

Is The Hpc Causing Retaurants To Add Tax To Bills?

Along with millions of other families cutting back financially in the UK myself and the other half went to a cheapie resaurant this evening...and couldn't believe it when tax was added to the bill.

The bill shuld have been around £25, but came to almost £30

I won't name the place, as the missus quite likes it...sells alot of chicken cooked on the bone....sounds like 'band' with an 'os' on the end, seems to be a popular place.....

The price they advertised was not what we paid, we paid an extra 4+ pounds in tax.

Anyone know if this is legal?

Are companies really this desperate these days to skim a couple of quid from decent customers?

As I am now chilled, I didn't complain....doh!

First time I have not left a tip for a few years.....

Along with millions of other families cutting back financially in the UK myself and the other half went to a cheapie resaurant this evening...and couldn't believe it when tax was added to the bill.

I won't name the place, as the missus quite likes it...sells alot of chicken cooked on the bone....sounds like 'band' with an 'os' on the end, seems to be a popular place.....

The price they advertised was not what we paid, we paid an extra 4+ pounds in tax.

Are companies really this desperate these days to skim a couple of quid from decent customers?

Surely you must know that ALL tax is payed by the end user. From corporation tax to duties to employers national insurance.

ALL tax filters down to the end user. That is a simple fact.

As for your particular case I have never come across a place that advertises price not inc VAT unless it is very clearly shown on the menu.

As it is an offence to advertise prices in retail establishments that are not fully inclusive of VAT, service and other impositions, I am bemused to why retail restaurants feel that they are exempt from this law.

As it is an offence to advertise prices in retail establishments that are not fully inclusive of VAT, service and other impositions, I am bemused to why retail restaurants feel that they are exempt from this law.

Not service.

I have noticed it a few times, didn't know it was illegal. I hate it, I refuse to eat at places that do it.

if it was just you and the missus for 25 sheets you should have gone somewhere proper. ok you'd maybe have paid a tenner more but nandos, come on!

get the hell out of the cahin mindset in this economy, prices are dropping everywhere. smaller outlets are happy to just stay in business, never mind profits, they can wait for a few years.

Service charges are, or should be, optional. The price of the food should be on any menu, otherwise they're breaking the law. However, IANAL etc..

A friend of mine once refused to pay the "optional" service charge and was told by the manager he had to pay it. "What the ****** does optional mean then?"

Not service.

Yes, but I think that you have missed the point. In a Tailors it would be illegal to advertise a suit price exclusive of the service charge for fitting and measuring etc., so why do restaurants feel they can advertise a meal price exclusive of the service required to deliver it?

There is VAT if it is cooked for you. No VAT on food from shops before it is prepared. Not sure where Asda et al. stand when you can buy hot, cooked chickens done in store?

There is VAT if it is cooked for you. No VAT on food from shops before it is prepared. Not sure where Asda et al. stand when you can buy hot, cooked chickens done in store?

Depends if you eat in or not too. Eat in you pay VAT, takeaway you don't.

It is a bit more complicated than whether it is cooked or not. In the case of supermarket hot cooked chicken I believe it is zero rated.

Sounds like the management are running a scam.

We visited our local Nandos a few weeks ago, the price on the menu was the price I paid, no added tax.

Some restaurants (or McDonalds) don't give receipts unless asked for, others give inclusive of VAT, but will provide a VAT receipt to anyone who needs one for e.g. reclaiming expenses.

I don't see the problem. They have provided a proper VAT receipt which means you don't have to explicitly ask for it and piss about. I wish everyone would do this!

You can check your Nandos meal vs Menu at the website which conveniently has a "shopping basket" so you can tot it all up. It seems all national chains have the same menu... there is no hidden VAT.

Perhaps the OP thinks that despite the cost of all foods rocketing in inflation by at least 50%, he has somehow attributed the extra £5 of his Nandos meal to the VAT column of his receipt, rather than realising that the basic price of chicken has gone up +50% at least!

Long live VAT receipts! The one thing the small businessman can reclaim from the man when on business!

Does it actually specify what the tax is?

Or does it just say "TAX"?

It just says 'tax', and the prices we paid were the advertised price.

The tax was on top. No service charge mentioned.

I kept the receipt.

I'll take a pic of the menu, copy the reciept and email to local trading standards.....if this is illegal, any idea what happens?

Some restaurants (or McDonalds) don't give receipts unless asked for, others give inclusive of VAT, but will provide a VAT receipt to anyone who needs one for e.g. reclaiming expenses.

I don't see the problem. They have provided a proper VAT receipt which means you don't have to explicitly ask for it and piss about. I wish everyone would do this!

You can check your Nandos meal vs Menu at the website which conveniently has a "shopping basket" so you can tot it all up. It seems all national chains have the same menu... there is no hidden VAT.

Perhaps the OP thinks that despite the cost of all foods rocketing in inflation by at least 50%, he has somehow attributed the extra £5 of his Nandos meal to the VAT column of his receipt, rather than realising that the basic price of chicken has gone up +50% at least!

Long live VAT receipts! The one thing the small businessman can reclaim from the man when on business!

The price I expected to pay was on the menu. Is it unreasonable to expect to pay the advertised price, which did not say it was exclusive of tax, I think..but will check today.

But I wasn't charged that, all the items (food, a cider and a coke) were all part of the bill, then 'tax' was added.

Is this legal, and many here suggest it is not legal. My cider and the missus coke were not cooked.

I do.

Of course it isn't legal.

Why did you pay it?