House Price Crash Forum
Mrs Bear

Vigorous Ramping Of Seaside Homes

Anyone else noticed this? For the past 2 or 3 weeks in both Times and Tel. supps. there have been articles saying what a jolly good time it is to buy that seaside home.

This weekend there was even an article ramping Bognor, and a week or two ago I had a fit when our own favourite little place, which I've never seen mentioned before, was gushed about. Usually they stick to the likes of Rock, Padstow and Southwold.

Obviously UK seaside holidays are newly fashionable and there's a seasonal factor, but I don't recall this sort of seaside ramping last year.

Far be it from me to conclude that a lot of property journos are desperate to offload their coastal boltholes. ;)

Far be it from me to conclude that a lot of property journos are desperate to offload their coastal boltholes. ;)

That's the impression I get. A week or so ago we had one of the papers listing the top ten seaside towns to buy in and, alas, my home town was mentioned in the top ten. I just feel that people are trying to sell their second homes now. Smacks of desperation IMPO.

Coastal erosion means that there'll be one hell of a shortage of seaside property in years to come :lol:

The real gamble is how far inland to buy a cheaper cottage, timing it just right so that you enjoy its heyday as a seaside place when you retire, and further timing it so you pop your clogs before it falls into the sea.....

Anyone else noticed this? For the past 2 or 3 weeks in both Times and Tel. supps. there have been articles saying what a jolly good time it is to buy that seaside home.

This weekend there was even an article ramping Bognor, and a week or two ago I had a fit when our own favourite little place, which I've never seen mentioned before, was gushed about. Usually they stick to the likes of Rock, Padstow and Southwold.

Obviously UK seaside holidays are newly fashionable and there's a seasonal factor, but I don't recall this sort of seaside ramping last year.

I wouldn't say newly fashionable so much as newly vacated:

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/...il/article.html

I wouldn't say newly fashionable so much as newly vacated:

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/...il/article.html

I found that article contradictory. One one hand it says that second home owners are selling up and there is falling demand for second homes... and then it quotes an EA who says that he has been changing one property per day on average recently?

If demand is falling who is buying the second homes that people are putting on the market?

I found that article contradictory. One one hand it says that second home owners are selling up and there is falling demand for second homes... and then it quotes an EA who says that he has been changing one property per day on average recently?

If demand is falling who is buying the second homes that people are putting on the market?

Probably the locals who are unfortunately going to be screwed by the rest of the crash but are current stunned by the relative "bargains" compared to the previous situation for houses in their villages, that were once not a penny under £220K to be empty 3/4 of the year. There are still outreageous multiples out there to get 'modest' loans of £150-160K. Its easy to forget that a lot of 'holiday homes' are in fact regular homes bought for occassional use.