House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest An Bearin Bui

Tenancy Deposit Protection

Guest An Bearin Bui

On the rentals forum here on HPC, there is some good guidance for tenants regarding their rights and obligations but much of it relates only to England/Wales. Quite a few posters there have mentioned the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and the obligation on landlords to put tenants' deposits into a protected fund.

Directgov info on the Tenancy Deposit Scheme

It clearly says that this only applies in England and Wales, however, Does anyone know if there is an equivalent regulation in Scotland? As far as I recall there was no regulation on this for Scottish tenants in the past but I'm wondering whether some new regulation has been introduced since the introduction of this legislation in England and Wales in 2007. If not, then does anyone know what deposit protection rights tenants have in Scotland?

Apparently not. Here are a couple of recent press releases from the Scottish branches of Labour and the Lib Dems calling for such a scheme to be implemented in Scotland. The Labour one (12th May 2008) says

Labour's higher education spokesperson, Claire Baker MSP, today laid a motion in Parliament calling on the SNP to come forward with plans for a tenancy deposit protection scheme.

The Housing (Scotland) Act passed by the previous Labour-led administration included provision for a deposit scheme but over a year since the last election there has been little word from the SNP as to progress on its implementation.

There is no regulation of this in Scotland at this time. I think that we can expect to get it in a year or two when they see how the system is working down south.

For the moment landlords can do what they like with their tenant's deposit, until its time to give it back of course.. My tenant's deposit is in a savings account earning me 6%, but as I am also a tenant, my deposit is earning me zilch in my landlords account; so there you are.

Guest An Bearin Bui

Thanks for this info - that's pretty much what I thought to be the case. When you think about it, it's hard to believe that such an obvious regulation was never passed before. Usually deposits aren't much more than a few hundred quid , I suppose, but it's the principle of the matter (not to mention the principal, har, har).

Guest An Bearin Bui
Have you thought about having your own Fringe show?

Now that you mention it....

This guy could be an inspiration for example