House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cobra0

Why Are Chains More Popular?

MOD? I don't know if this is supposed to go here or into economics. Please move it if so.

I got quite interested in the problems of chains (A buys B' house, who buys C's, who buys ...) and have read about the problems associated with it. (break- down risk, ...)

Then I have come up with an alternative, and during my research found that my "invention" has been around a long time already, it is called a "bridging loan" (allowing B to buy C's house, before selling his own. During that time B practically serves 2 mortgages).

If bridging loans are around for so long, why are chains more popular than bridging loans?

I can understand it in the current bear market, who would want to risk 2 repossessions.

But why are chains also popular in the bull market? (It was when I bought my house)

MOD? I don't know if this is supposed to go here or into economics. Please move it if so.

I got quite interested in the problems of chains (A buys B' house, who buys C's, who buys ...) and have read about the problems associated with it. (break- down risk, ...)

Then I have come up with an alternative, and during my research found that my "invention" has been around a long time already, it is called a "bridging loan" (allowing B to buy C's house, before selling his own. During that time B practically serves 2 mortgages).

If bridging loans are around for so long, why are chains more popular than bridging loans?

I can understand it in the current bear market, who would want to risk 2 repossessions.

But why are chains also popular in the bull market? (It was when I bought my house)

Because there are many risks in this approach. You have to pay the mortgage and outgoings for two properties. What if you can't sell your old one, what if it burns down/floods/has a new planning application notice for a halfway house nextdoor served on it. There is just too much risk in bridging loans. Banks also are not keen on lending that sort of money to just anyone, and that was in the good times. If anyone was worried about being in a chain I would suggest that they sold their own place and went into rented for six months before buying another house.

A couple of theories

1. People have tended to borrow to the max, leaving no room in the finances to serve two mortgages.

2. Property was selling very quickly, the need for a bridging loan was therefore redundent.

Because there are many risks in this approach. You have to pay the mortgage and outgoings for two properties. What if you can't sell your old one, what if it burns down/floods/has a new planning application notice for a halfway house nextdoor served on it. There is just too much risk in bridging loans. Banks also are not keen on lending that sort of money to just anyone, and that was in the good times. If anyone was worried about being in a chain I would suggest that they sold their own place and went into rented for six months before buying another house.

A couple of theories

1. People have tended to borrow to the max, leaving no room in the finances to serve two mortgages.

2. Property was selling very quickly, the need for a bridging loan was therefore redundent.

Fair comment, especially 2. We have now gone to the other extreme, so maybe bridging loans never really work because the housing market is either in a boom (10 years time, maybe) or a bust, like now.