House Price Crash Forum

The High Tide Of Uk Consumerist Culture?

huw

HOLA441
If people are stupid enough to borrow ludicrous amounts of money to buy properties and other people are stupid enough to pay to live in them then let them. Who cares?

People who don't want to see their own honestly-earned money devalued by the inflationary effects of this dishonest borrowing and lending.

Similarly, if debt-based consumerism collapses the economy and degrades the environment, then the consequences affect everyone.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
People who don't want to see their own honestly-earned money devalued by the inflationary effects of this dishonest borrowing and lending.

Similarly, if debt-based consumerism collapses the economy and degrades the environment, then the consequences affect everyone.

Many things we want to buy now have just kept getting cheaper...saving pays today...borrowing only pays when you want to buy now at a price that will be greater tomorrow, notwithstanding interest rates.

HOLA443
Agreed, the earth and ecosystems will recover once we've gone anyway, even if we leave the place in an awful state, Mother Nature will begin her slow cleanup. I'd imagine that within a million years of our diappearance, pretty much everything that would ever indicate we were here will have gone, eroded by the harsh winds of a million winters.

Check out this program on Channel 4

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites...fe_after_people

According to the program, within 100 years most of our infrastructure would be unrecognizable

Within 1000 years almost all records of us being on the plant will be gone.

HOLA444
HOLA445
That was some vague waffle about the environment. Unless the council turns your garden into a landfill while you're out shopping for not iPods it doesn't materially effect you as an individual. You could live a life with microscopic consumerist influences if you so chose.

If people are stupid enough to borrow ludicrous amounts of money to buy properties and other people are stupid enough to pay to live in them then let them. Who cares?

It's been answered sufficiently so I'll just laugh again. :lol::lol::lol:

What really surprises me is that opening of primark video. I mean, it's primark. They're cheap, they're always cheap. What could they possibly do to get that many people that excited that they must charge through the doors at opening? Either those people don't have lives, or their lives are being a consumer.

HOLA446
It's been answered sufficiently so I'll just laugh again. :lol::lol::lol:

What really surprises me is that opening of primark video. I mean, it's primark. They're cheap, they're always cheap. What could they possibly do to get that many people that excited that they must charge through the doors at opening? Either those people don't have lives, or their lives are being a consumer.

But it wasn't just any Primark, it was on Oxford Street, the worst place to go shopping ever. People just seem to flock there for some reason, it's like being in a crowd zombies up there.

HOLA447

The richer the country, the larger the debt. The world's debts are never going to be paid off, either by the governments, the corporations, or the people. The world's debt will continue to increase exponentially until the entire productive worth of the planet is used on interest payments alone. At that point the whole world is bankrupt, consumerism simply accelerates this problem to it's inevitable conclusion.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest Steve Cook
The richer the country, the larger the debt. The world's debts are never going to be paid off, either by the governments, the corporations, or the people. The world's debt will continue to increase exponentially until the entire productive worth of the planet is used on interest payments alone. At that point the whole world is bankrupt, consumerism simply accelerates this problem to it's inevitable conclusion.

yep...

fractional reserve lending has got a lot to answer for......

HOLA4410
Consumerism is the religion of our time. The masses are brainwashed and riled up into a fervour over it. You consume the right things and you are 'saved', but don't consume and you are not worthy. It is implied that being a good citizen means being a good consumer, a sign of a good economy is footage of chinese made things flying off of shelves and plastic being swiped at the checkout. Being in debt is no longer shameful. Buying things you don't need with money you don't have is good. Under-consuming and saving is for losers. The shopping malls are simply the cathedrals of our time.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QFPr5F_p5so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4252421.stm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhp1ElO4MiA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N_XqWhC3Pxc

I dont get it. As a man i hate shopping. I thought all men were programmed the same way. But debt seems to afflict both sexes equally, maybe men more so.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest Steve Cook
I dont get it. As a man i hate shopping. I thought all men were programmed the same way. But debt seems to afflict both sexes equally, maybe men more so.

At the risk of shameless stereotyping.....

Women get into debt to acquire status. The power that comes with it is an arterfact of this

Men get into debt to acquire power. The status that comes with it is an artefact of this.

Why?

Because women have historically been subjugated to the role of "power behind the throne". So, the only way for them to exercise power has been via the cultural proxy of status.

Though, in theory, there is no reason for women to continue with this social strategy (at least in the established "democratic" economies of the world), old cultural habits die hard.

There may even be an element of hard-wiring in terms of these gender differences. Though, this is always fiendishly difficult to demonstrate unequivocally

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
At the risk of shameless stereotyping.....

Women get into debt to acquire status. The power that comes with it is an arterfact of this

Men get into debt to acquire power. The status that comes with it is an artefact of this.

Why?

Because women have historically been relegated to the role of "power behind the throne". So, the only way for them to exercise power has been via the cultural proxy of status.

Though, in theory, there is no reason for women to continue with this social strategy (at least in the established "democratic" economies of the world), old cultural habits die hard.

There may even be an element of hard-wiring in terms of these gender differences. Though, this is always fiendishly difficult to demonstrate unequivocally

What sort of power can a man aqquire by getting into debt? In the past when I have been in debt, the last thing I felt was power. Not in debt to anyone now, and still don't feel power :lol:

HOLA4415
Guest Steve Cook
What sort of power can a man aqquire by getting into debt? In the past when I have been in debt, the last thing I felt was power. Not in debt to anyone now, and still don't feel power :lol:

quite true....

Men and women are deeply delusional, each in their own special way...... :lol:

Except, perhaps, to add the caveat...

Men's delusions tend to kill more people.

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4416
quite true....

Men and women are deeply delusional, each in their own special way...... :lol:

Except, perhaps, to add the caveat...

Men's delusions tend to kill more people.

Well I am certainly delusional. I thought by now that I would own a house outright, and now find myself renting. I also thought that little robots would be doing my housework. For a little while in 1969, I thought man had been to the moon too. These days I don't know what to believe in. Try not to think about it too much though, otherwise I would go demented. Some say I already have :lol:

HOLA4417

Well, a few men have been to the moon, however, it turned out to be a barren featureless rock of no particular value, so no-one has been back. Although I believe an enterprising gentleman from the US of A will sell you land on the moon by the acre. Maybe it will be the next real estate investment opportunity.

HOLA4418
Guest Steve Cook
Well, a few men have been to the moon, however, it turned out to be a barren featureless rock of no particular value, so no-one has been back. Although I believe an enterprising gentleman from the US of A will sell you land on the moon by the acre. Maybe it will be the next real estate investment opportunity.

Someone once said that man went to the moon so that he could perform the human equivalent of a dog pissing up a lampost....

"We wuz here"......

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4419

Still don't believe the moon bit. I don't think they have the technology to land a man there even now, but forty years ago???? No way. An illusion. JFk said they would get there by the end of the decade and beat the russians to it. Funny how they just managed it right at the end of the decade. I have trouble believing any politician !!

HOLA4420
Still don't believe the moon bit. I don't think they have the technology to land a man there even now, but forty years ago????

Apollos 11, 14 and 15 erected laser reflectors on the lunar surface. Laser beams are routinely fired at these reflectors through telescopes at McDonald Observatory in Texas and near Grasse in southern France. Timings of these reflected beams are used to measure the Earth-Moon distance to an accuracy of one inch.

HOLA4421
Apollos 11, 14 and 15 erected laser reflectors on the lunar surface. Laser beams are routinely fired at these reflectors through telescopes at McDonald Observatory in Texas and near Grasse in southern France. Timings of these reflected beams are used to measure the Earth-Moon distance to an accuracy of one inch.

No, sorry, I don't believe that either ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

God bless America they still have the acre, we however are doomed to scrapping ti bacuase we are nation or wimps.