House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
huw

The High Tide Of Uk Consumerist Culture?

link

The scale of the thing strikes me as obscene, considering what's coming down the line (does the world really need a Next that's the same size as an out-of-town Asda?)

Still, if it pulls in foreign exchange from eurozone/far eastern tourists while sourcing goods from UK sweatshops, perhaps it will earn its keep :ph34r:

Next has taken a huge 80,000 sq ft store — the same size as an out-of-town Asda.

--------

80,000 sq ft seems a bit piddling seeing as the competition can undercut them to about 1/20th the price for similar stuff.

Consumerism is the religion of our time. The masses are brainwashed and riled up into a fervour over it. You consume the right things and you are 'saved', but don't consume and you are not worthy. It is implied that being a good citizen means being a good consumer, a sign of a good economy is footage of chinese made things flying off of shelves and plastic being swiped at the checkout. Being in debt is no longer shameful. Buying things you don't need with money you don't have is good. Under-consuming and saving is for losers. The shopping malls are simply the cathedrals of our time.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QFPr5F_p5so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4252421.stm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhp1ElO4MiA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N_XqWhC3Pxc

Edited by Britney's Piers

Jeffrey Goines: There's the television. It's all right there - all right there. Look, listen, kneel, pray. Commercials! We're not productive anymore. We don't make things anymore. It's all automated. What are we *for* then? We're consumers, Jim. Yeah. Okay, okay. Buy a lot of stuff, you're a good citizen. But if you don't buy a lot of stuff, if you don't, what are you then, I ask you? What? Mentally *ill*. Fact, Jim, fact - if you don't buy things - toilet paper, new cars, computerized yo-yos, electrically-operated sexual devices, stereo systems with brain-implanted headphones, screwdrivers with miniature built-in radar devices, voice-activated computers...

12 Monkeys (1995)

Guest Steve Cook

We are witnessing the peak of civilisation.

We are just buried too deeply in the forest at the moment to be able to see the wood for the trees.

We will look back on this time in 30 years and only then see quite clearly that this was the peak.

Edited by Steve Cook

We are just buried too deeply in the forest at the moment to be able to see the wood for the trees.

We will look back on this time in 30 years and only then see quite clearly that this was the peak.

What are the consequences of this peak?

I was in Covent Garden the other dau and noticed that a whole row of shops opposite the tube station were covered over with a 'coming soon' board for some big new retail development with a fancy name. I almost laughed out loud - dreadful timing. I wonder if it will actually be built.

Guest Steve Cook

A decades long emergency leading to a contraction of all that we have come to associate with modern civilisation. More localised economies for a start. More localised cultures. These, in themselves would not necessarily be a bad thing in my opinion. Unfortunately, I see a lot of hardship coming alongside them.

All of the above if we are lucky...

If we are unlucky, we get a military engagement between the major players in the world on the way down the other side of the peak as they fight it out over dwindling resources. Otherwise defined as WWIII. In which case, all bets are off.

I should say, I am of the opinion that we have run out of luck....

Edited by Steve Cook

Vile. Grotesque. Disgusting.

Meanwhile, nearby, someone is building a new self-storage warehouse, rubbing their hands with glee. Because soon they will let units to people living in poxy little new-builds who will need to rent storage to put in all the barely used tat that's being displaced by the latest lot of tat bought from this monstrous edifice dedicated to greed. Think of self-store as analogous to obesity; rather than one's body fat spilling over the top of one's jeans, the consumer fat gets tucked out of sight into self-store. And the rape of the land continues with open spaces covered with big sheds to house tat.

Mass consumption is an illusion. It obviously doesn't bring happiness, because it's based on the idea that the it itself has no real intrinsic worth, it just gives you the "rush" from novelty that wears off as fast as the logo from a £3 t-shirt. As for this segregating the posh shops to make people unhappy and ramp up their feelings of insecurity and inadeqacy, so they too will flash the plastic to buy a sliver of some illusory blingtastic lifestyle - disgusting.

This is immoral. And if the answer is, who the hell are you to preach morality to us?, the answer is, when did we lose the ability to discuss moral issues? How did our culture get to be so neutered that we can no longer discuss what is right and what is wrong? This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Staffed by minimum-wage slaves who are made to feel worthless and inadequate every time they go to work, frequented by blingtastic chavs and wags flashing their city bonuses around like some latter-day Harry Enfield.

What did you do when you were young, Grandad? says the small boy, sweating in his singlet in the heatblast of the Arctic mid-day, wiping the drool off Grandad's chin. Well, my boy, he said, in a rare moment of lucidity, I lent the money on usurious terms to property developers who built the malls that contributed to frying the planet. Terribly sorry.

Meanwhile, nearby, someone is building a new self-storage warehouse, rubbing their hands with glee. Because soon they will let units to people living in poxy little new-builds who will need to rent storage to put in all the barely used tat that's being displaced by the latest lot of tat bought from this monstrous edifice dedicated to greed. Think of self-store as analogous to obesity; rather than one's body fat spilling over the top of one's jeans, the consumer fat gets tucked out of sight into self-store. And the rape of the land continues with open spaces covered with big sheds to house tat.

Mass consumption is an illusion. It obviously doesn't bring happiness, because it's based on the idea that the it itself has no real intrinsic worth, it just gives you the "rush" from novelty that wears off as fast as the logo from a £3 t-shirt. As for this segregating the posh shops to make people unhappy and ramp up their feelings of insecurity and inadeqacy, so they too will flash the plastic to buy a sliver of some illusory blingtastic lifestyle - disgusting.

This is immoral. And if the answer is, who the hell are you to preach morality to us?, the answer is, when did we lose the ability to discuss moral issues? How did our culture get to be so neutered that we can no longer discuss what is right and what is wrong? This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Staffed by minimum-wage slaves who are made to feel worthless and inadequate every time they go to work, frequented by blingtastic chavs and wags flashing their city bonuses around like some latter-day Harry Enfield.

What did you do when you were young, Grandad? says the small boy, sweating in his singlet in the heatblast of the Arctic mid-day, wiping the drool off Grandad's chin. Well, my boy, he said, in a rare moment of lucidity, I lent the money on usurious terms to property developers who built the malls that contributed to frying the planet. Terribly sorry.

Good post. It deserves to be duplicated. ;)

I was rather enjoying your rant (and nodding in places) until you hint of the vile, grotesque and disgusting myth that is man made global warming.

Wall.E

Any of you seen the kids film Wall.E about the last robot on earth clearing up after we destroyed the planet ?

We had our niece from overseas staying for a couple of weeks and saw it with her, it makes you think and its good to see messaging to kids about what could happen to Earth through consumerism.

It has a go at walmart through the name and the obesity of the Americans through the film.

Edited by Loggy

Wall.E

Any of you seen the kids film Wall.E about the last robot on earth clearing up after we destroyed the planet ?

We had our niece from overseas staying for a couple of weeks and saw it with her, it makes you think and its good to see messaging to kids about what could happen to Earth through consumerism.

It has a go at walmart through the name and the obesity of the Americans through the film.

:lol: A Disney film? A company that must produce more pointless, consumerist crap than any company on earth.

I hope you bought her a Wall.E toy as a memento.

I was rather enjoying your rant (and nodding in places) until you hint of the vile, grotesque and disgusting myth that is man made global warming.

i think david icke is crackers but i liked his take on global warming. where he said temperatures were rising like this in the middle ages, so what caused that? and also his reference to some panorama type program in the 70s telling us we would soon be in the next ice age as the global temperature was on a slight downward curve.

One of the best posts i've seen on here. We are no longer people, but consumers, an economic unit that is defined only by its ability to generate money.

i think david icke is crackers but i liked his take on global warming. where he said temperatures were rising like this in the middle ages, so what caused that? and also his reference to some panorama type program in the 70s telling us we would soon be in the next ice age as the global temperature was on a slight downward curve.

And his credentials and family background are impeccable of course ;)

(edit: actually I admire the guy, he works hard and seems to sincerely believe in his message, and plenty of people are prepared to pay good money for that message of shape-shifting lizards etc. Good on him, but it doesn't make him a credible commentator).

Edited by huw

Steve Cook, please stop telling the truth, you are scaring the sheeple. Most people on this forum just want a HPC so they can buy their way into the scam. They do not need you telling them that house prices are part of a much larger problem and that the economic calamity that is about to happen will end in inevitable war. That's the trouble with history, it keeps repeating itself.

In order to keep those stuck in the Matrix happy here is a more positive message. Don't worry because:

1) the planet earth is of infinite size so we can fit an infinite amount of people on it, good for HPI.

2) we will never run out of anything, didn't you know, the planet is infinite and therefore has the capacity to generate infinite resources for the infinite amount of people living on it.

3) unlike the planet money is finite, despite it being an abstract concept we have highly competent and honest financial sector which will ensure that the amount of money in existence will match economic growth.

4) sh1ting in the drinking water, chopping down all the trees, eating all the fish, growing mutant crops, is all good for us because human beings simply do not have the ability to change life on this planet. It doesn't matter what we do to the planet as it is all a giant tax con.

5) house prices will rise forever

6) we are all gonna be rich, capitalism ensures that everyone gets rich.

7) we are gonna be driving x5's.

8) Hull City are going to win the Premier League and break the dominance of Man U, Chelsea, and Aresenal.

9) The IMF and World Bank will continue to be responsible for global peace and prosperity.

10) There will never be any wars again (except those in diddy places that we don't really care about) because war in a modern industrial society is caused by trade imbalances and massive debts. Since all debt has been banished, no trade imbalances exist, and no-one owns any weapons anymore, the chances of war breaking out are nil.

So, that said, head back in the sand, and off you all jolly well go to the mall and buy stuff you don't need with money you don't have.

I love WALL-E, who would have thought a corporation like Disney could produce something so profound and funny. I would guess it's because the Corporatists neither understand, or even figure out the message. They are way too stupid. Reality, don't ya just hate it.

OK, I'll see your denial, and raise you one overfishing, two topsoil degradations, three polluted rivers from agricultural run-offs, and four flash-floods from run-off due to concreting over green spaces. Not to mention the environmental devastation in Canada from oil extraction from shale. Even if it turns out that man-made global warming is a myth, we are still destroying the ecosystem that supports us. And for what? More consumer sh!te that is spiritually and morally about as satisfying as a McDonalds and a furtive nosh down some back alley, as whatshisname Coren would put it.

And the duplicate post - I got some IPS driver error message, so I thought my carefully-crafted had got lost in the ether!

OK, I'll see your denial, and raise you one overfishing, two topsoil degradations, three polluted rivers from agricultural run-offs, and four flash-floods from run-off due to concreting over green spaces. Not to mention the environmental devastation in Canada from oil extraction from shale. Even if it turns out that man-made global warming is a myth, we are still destroying the ecosystem that supports us. And for what? More consumer sh!te that is spiritually and morally about as satisfying as a McDonalds and a furtive nosh down some back alley, as whatshisname Coren would put it.

And the duplicate post - I got some IPS driver error message, so I thought my carefully-crafted had got lost in the ether!

I agree with much you say. But, if you take a good look around at what passes for humanity these days you'd be daft not to come to the conclusion of a big fat "So what". If it's all heading for collapse I hope I'm around to see it. I'll be laughing all the way.

I agree with much you say. But, if you take a good look around at what passes for humanity these days you'd be daft not to come to the conclusion of a big fat "So what". If it's all heading for collapse I hope I'm around to see it. I'll be laughing all the way.

Agreed, the earth and ecosystems will recover once we've gone anyway, even if we leave the place in an awful state, Mother Nature will begin her slow cleanup. I'd imagine that within a million years of our diappearance, pretty much everything that would ever indicate we were here will have gone, eroded by the harsh winds of a million winters.

Next has taken a huge 80,000 sq ft store — the same size as an out-of-town Asda.

--------

80,000 sq ft seems a bit piddling seeing as the competition can undercut them to about 1/20th the price for similar stuff.

This has always infuriated me about clothes. I can understand why those who enjoy fashion want boutiques and rapid turnover of styles and colours - but I refuse to accept that the majority are best served this way. I've long wished for an out-of-town clothes shop that I can visit on a single weekend day and buy a wardrobe full of reasonable quality clothes. I don't want to spend every other Saturday shopping for 'bargains' that turn out to be anything but. I want to be able to walk in, establish my size, and pick up 10 pairs of smart trousers; 5 pairs of fitting jeans; 10 formal shirts; 15 casual shirts; 5 jumpers; a coat/jacket; 20 pairs of pants and 20 pairs of socks and two pairs of shoes... for an all-in price of between £500 and £1000. I don't want labels or brands - I just want well made simple clothes in my size. I don't want to spend my time searching through row upon row of tatty "fashionable" left-overs in sizes to fit the unusual. I don't want to order from a gentlemen's outfitter - I want to go to a huge warehouse ans select off-the peg.

It strikes me that the only way to provide for people of my persuasion is to establish a store on a huge scale... and to establish lines of supply where the sizes that sell can be re-ordered so as never to run out of stock. It is obvious to me that this sort of venture would turn a profit - I'm not looking for clothes significantly cheaper than the ones people actually buy... just that I shouldn't be forced to jump through hoops visiting hundreds of 'take the mickey' shops that only have rubbish in stock. I want an industrial-scale approach to properly made clothes of a standard pattern. I have to admit, I doubt Next are the right bunch to do this - but, if they are bankrupted, their auctioned premises might be ideal for an entrepreneur in future.

Edited by A.steve

This has always infuriated me about clothes. I can understand why those who enjoy fashion want boutiques and rapid turnover of styles and colours - but I refuse to accept that the majority are best served this way. I've long wished for an out-of-town clothes shop that I can visit on a single weekend day and buy a wardrobe full of reasonable quality clothes. I don't want to spend every other Saturday shopping for 'bargains' that turn out to be anything but. I want to be able to walk in, establish my size, and pick up 10 pairs of smart trousers; 5 pairs of fitting jeans; 10 formal shirts; 15 casual shirts; 5 jumpers; a coat/jacket; 20 pairs of pants and 20 pairs of socks and two pairs of shoes... for an all-in price of between £500 and £1000. I don't want labels or brands - I just want well made simple clothes in my size. I don't want to spend my time searching through row upon row of tatty "fashionable" left-overs in sizes to fit the unusual. I don't want to order from a gentlemen's outfitter - I want to go to a huge warehouse ans select off-the peg.

It strikes me that the only way to provide for people of my persuasion is to establish a store on a huge scale... and to establish lines of supply where the sizes that sell can be re-ordered so as never to run out of stock. It is obvious to me that this sort of venture would turn a profit - I'm not looking for clothes significantly cheaper than the ones people actually buy... just that I shouldn't be forced to jump through hoops visiting hundreds of 'take the mickey' shops that only have rubbish in stock. I want an industrial-scale approach to properly made clothes of a standard pattern. I have to admit, I doubt Next are the right bunch to do this - but, if they are bankrupted, their auctioned premises might be idea for an entrepreneur in future.

Ever been to Primark or Uniqlo? That's basically what you're describing. Not to sure about the morality of their production methods, but I guess it's the same at any high-street clothes store.

My GF has recently started buying most of her clothes from a few E-bay sellers that make their own things. She gets a good price and it helps support a small business.