House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Teetoz

Advice Needed Please For Inventory Checkout

Hi all,

I have rented a property for a year, it was in very good condition and everything was done properly by previous tenants and even the carpet was professionally cleaned. It was only me, my wife and daughter who was 6 months when we moved in, living in the property.

The Agent clerk on checking out has made few comments to be deducted from the very high deposit (150% of monthly rental). The comments were:

1- The wall skirting was not cleaned (it was missed by both me & my wife, and all it needed is a wet wipe which he did not let me to do as he stated the rent is over)

2- The light fittings, the oven/cooker fan, kitchen units' doors all need cleaning (again missed).

3- A water leak mark in the kitchen ceiling from the bathroom (which happened when I was having a bath and did not notice the water has come out from the bath into the floor and then leaked to the kitchen).

4- A stain mark in the Lounge wall (which was done by my daughter)

5- An iron mark burn in the carpet (again done by us)

6- The lounge carpet needs to be professionally cleaned as its pre-let condition, and I have to supply a receipt for this???!!!

*I need some advice on this please and what are my rights and what are things that I can argue for? I was told by the inventory agent that he will write his report to the landlord and get people to clean the house (as above), decorate the water leak and the wall mark and I have to pay a for their cost, and also pay a compensation to the carpet iron mark???!!!

Although all of the above were done by us while we were in the house, but I thought you are allowed fair wear & tear.

Can anyone advice please.

Many thanks

Hi all,

I have rented a property for a year, it was in very good condition and everything was done properly by previous tenants and even the carpet was professionally cleaned. It was only me, my wife and daughter who was 6 months when we moved in, living in the property.

The Agent clerk on checking out has made few comments to be deducted from the very high deposit (150% of monthly rental). The comments were:

1- The wall skirting was not cleaned (it was missed by both me & my wife, and all it needed is a wet wipe which he did not let me to do as he stated the rent is over)

2- The light fittings, the oven/cooker fan, kitchen units' doors all need cleaning (again missed).

3- A water leak mark in the kitchen ceiling from the bathroom (which happened when I was having a bath and did not notice the water has come out from the bath into the floor and then leaked to the kitchen).

6- The lounge carpet needs to be professionally cleaned as its pre-let condition, and I have to supply a receipt for this???!!!

*I need some advice on this please and what are my rights and what are things that I can argue for? I was told by the inventory agent that he will write his report to the landlord and get people to clean the house (as above), decorate the water leak and the wall mark and I have to pay a for their cost, and also pay a compensation to the carpet iron mark???!!!

Although all of the above were done by us while we were in the house, but I thought you are allowed fair wear & tear.

Many thanks

Clean the place up, get the carpets cleaned, keep all reciepts.

Most LA have deals with cleaners, pay them 100 quid or so, and the rest is yours.

You are expected to leave it clean and as it was when you moved in.

Iron burn in the carpet...oh dear, that wasn't smart.

I think its fair a fair LL should get all damage such as this repaired/replaced.

Even I'm at odds helping you here.....except to say take lots of photos as proof of how you left things...and next time...when you move in....also take alot of photos.

So all the things you have mentioned, you have admitted were caused by you.

I think this is a case of stick your hands up to it and agree to reasonable deductions from the deposit.

Hi all,

Many thanks

It always amazes me that people think they can leave this stuff until they have left and then cry foul... I think you know the answer but in future try and do a pre-checkout meeting with the LL, they always have their "thing" and it gives you a chance to either agree that is it wear and tear or sort it out.

Wear and tear covers scuff mark on the wall where you brush past, small ships in the paint etc. etc. i.e. anything that would happen however well you looked after the house.

on the carpet the LL needs to tell you how old it is as you should only pay for the reasonable amount of life left in it not the whole replacement unless of course it was a new carpet when you moved in.

If you offered to do the cleaning of the trivial items and the inventory agent refused then you have a fair chance of getting that part of the money back when you go to the small claims court.

Trivial marks on the wall etc come under fair wear and tear. I don't know about the iron mark on the carpet.

Some agents have "arrangements" with cleaning firms that are dishonest. The cleaning firm gets paid an exorbitant amount and the cleaner pays them a kickback. Sometimes the cleaning firm doesn't even clean at all and the next tenant gets a mess and a fight. My local Tenants Advice team told me of some of these that they had seen.

1. What I suggest you do is try to get access to the flat to see if you can photo anything. The new tenants may let you in. It will also be in your favour if the flat has already been let.

2. Write to the LL and Agent to say that you do not agree and do not accept the Inventory Clerks report. These people are hired by either the LL or the LA and do not act in your best interests. Say that you expect the full amount back with 10 days.

I've been to the small claims court too many times now. We had a similar problem with an Inventory Clerk finding small problems and he also said something stupid about too late now. We just pushed him out of the way and did it. In the small claims court the judge laughed at this.

Edited by Flopsy

Hi all,

Many thanks

First, how long have you lived in this property...if you've been there 5 years I would have thought some things might be fair wear and tear. If you had been there 6 months, then maybe not...

(1) You offered to do it on the spot, but the clerk refused. This seems unreasonable to me and I would not accept this.

(2) I'm paranoid about this stuff...they love to use these to get you, so I ensure these things are clean before I leave...doesn't matter how filthy they were when you moved in.

(3) I would have thought that a bathroom should be able to cope with some water slopping out of the bath onto the floor. I would probably refuse to pay for this.

(4) How big was this stain? What is its nature? Is it cleanable?

(5) That one you will have to wear the cost of I suspect, especially if it is a significant burn mark. (a couple of mm slight discolouring would probably be wear and tear.) Note that the landlord cannot profit from this...so he cannot charge you the cost of replacing an old carpet with a new one.

(6) We generally hire a steam cleaner and do it ourselves, and supply the receipt for the cleaner. It costs about £20 for a day's hire and 5 quid for the detergent. If you don't do this the LL will "hire" cleaners and charge you £150.

For future reference. Before you move in, take photos of EVERYTHING from the dirty light fittings to every last chip and mark on the walls...every last little mark. Burn these onto a CD and submit it with your inventory AND ENSURE YOU GET A RECEIPT FOR THE CD AND KEEP A SIGNED AND DATED COPY (by the LL or his agent) OF THE CD FOR YOUR RECORDS.

MAKE SURE THAT EVERY LITTLE MARK IS NOTED ON THE INITIAL INVENTORY. Do not sign an inventory that has not been anally compiled by "your maiden aunt who leaves the plastic on furniture and puts plastic down on the hallway carpet". It is amazing how little care is taken with the initial inventory and how exacting they can be on the exit inventory. Otherwise what was initially agreed as scuffed walls, will turn into scuffed walls plus a list of all the little marks that you thought were covered by the term "scuffed".

On leaving, take photos of everything again. Submit a copy to the inventory clerk and get him to sign your copy. Moreover, when the inventory clerk goes around finding fault, take your camera and photograph everything he points out. Burn these on a CD and give them to him/her when they leave and get him to sign a copy for your records.

Next, when they get you to sign the check out inventory on leaving, initial all hand written comments made by the clerk and note this on the page in which you have signed (this is to prevent them adding things after you have left.) I also cross reference the photo numbers with these hand written comments at the time the agent accepts the CD (generally on the copy of the inventory that is being altered by the clerk).

Always be pleasant whilst doing this...I just say I've had bad experiences in the past and it is nothing personal.

It is sad that one has to be like this, but since I have done this I have always gotten by full deposit back. LLs know who it will be difficult to steal a deposit from and who will roll over and hand over the lolly. Otherwise you end up with 1mm pricks in the wallpaper requiring the whole room to be redecorated etc. and by the time they get back to you about this you have no access to the property to disprove the claim.