House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

Win A House - £15 A Ticket

Sorry I don't know if this has already been posted but will scams like these dreamt up by the home owners become more common place now that buyers dry up?

"ShropshireHouse.co.uk is the prize competion site with a difference. Unlike the other normal competition sites in the world, we are giving you the chance of getting a whole house worth £500,000 for just £15 a ticket. Click on the house photos and information button located above to see photographs and information about the property.

This is unbelievable, imagine if you spent just £15 and then the next day woke up and found out you had won a house worth half a million pounds... what a life changer and all for only £15. To increase your chances of winning you have the opportunity to purchase more than one ticket and best of all you don’t have to purchase them all at the same time. You could purchase the first one today to secure your place as time is limited, then next week come back and buy another but best of all without the hassle of signing up again as you already have your account. Simple!

So what are you waiting for get buying your ticket now before this house goes to someone else and you miss out..."

http://www.shropshirehouse.co.uk/

Ah yes, so they "get the market value of their house". Surely if £500k is the market value wouldn't it just be quicker to sell it in the market? They also want to go to a "warmer climate" and are expecting someone to pay for this.

Having said that, it does look a very nice house, although where is Shropshire? Is there anything there?

yeah and if they sell 10 tickets they'll still give the house away..............

It says in the FAQ that if (roughly translated to when) they don't sell enough tickets, the "winner" will get the total raised. Less "admin costs" :o

yeah and if they sell 10 tickets they'll still give the house away..............

No. if they sell 10 tickets then they have failed to reach their £500,000 target. In this case, the winner will receive 70% of the overall prize fund = £105 and the promoters will recieve 30% or £45 as an administration fee.

I wonder if £500,000 is the going rate rate for a house of this type in this area? I think there is a caveat in the terms and conditions just in case they have their valuation wrong.

I can't see them reaching their target, but i'm sure they'll make a few 100 quid in admin. charges from idiots.

Guest happy?

Some background info....

Domain name:

shropshirehouse.co.uk

Registrant:

ZeronicX Gaming and Design

Registrant type:

Unknown

Registrant's address:

border house, middletown

welshpool

SY21 8EN

GB

http://uk.myspace.com/02turlew

http://zeronicx.com/

http://www.zxclicks.com/index.php?view=hom...f=pay2surf&

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/phpwm/...ber/000635.html

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/comments/WiredNode-13083.html

No. if they sell 10 tickets then they have failed to reach their £500,000 target. In this case, the winner will receive 70% of the overall prize fund = £105 and the promoters will recieve 30% or £45 as an administration fee.

I wonder if £500,000 is the going rate rate for a house of this type in this area? I think there is a caveat in the terms and conditions just in case they have their valuation wrong.

I can't see them reaching their target, but i'm sure they'll make a few 100 quid in admin. charges from idiots.

They take 30%? so if by some miracle or divine intervention they sold 30,000 tickets. They haven't raised the (extremely optimistic) market value. Then they get to take 30% of £450,000 in admin costs? :blink:

Wonder how many plonkers have bought tickets so far. :ph34r:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Hey everyone, I just bought a lottery ticket! FOR A HOUSE!

Anyone know what it was originally on the market for? They got a valuation for the £500,000 apparently. Have had a look at other 5+ bed properties in the same postcode and there are some quite attractive character houses with land for a similar price. The "last house" looks very ugly in comparison. Bit short of "curb appeal" for a 1/2 million pound dwelling in the middle of nowhere - sorry to those in Shrewsbury.

Hey everyone, I just bought a lottery ticket! FOR A HOUSE!

Not sure if I should wish you good luck, apparently it's better to rent. It will be a depreciating asset don't you know. :lol:

Guest happy?
They take 30%? so if by some miracle or divine intervention they sold 30,000 tickets. They haven't raised the (extremely optimistic) market value. Then they get to take 30% of £450,000 in admin costs? :blink:

Wonder how many plonkers have bought tickets so far. :ph34r:

These sort of schemes have been tried several times before - I can't recall one running successfully. Generally, they never generate enough interest to sell the needed number of tickets, I'll buy a ticket when they've got to about 33331.

Sorry I don't know if this has already been posted but will scams like these dreamt up by the home owners become more common place now that buyers dry up?

"ShropshireHouse.co.uk is the prize competion site with a difference. Unlike the other normal competition sites in the world, we are giving you the chance of getting a whole house worth £500,000 for just £15 a ticket. Click on the house photos and information button located above to see photographs and information about the property.

This is unbelievable, imagine if you spent just £15 and then the next day woke up and found out you had won a house worth half a million pounds... what a life changer and all for only £15. To increase your chances of winning you have the opportunity to purchase more than one ticket and best of all you don’t have to purchase them all at the same time. You could purchase the first one today to secure your place as time is limited, then next week come back and buy another but best of all without the hassle of signing up again as you already have your account. Simple!

So what are you waiting for get buying your ticket now before this house goes to someone else and you miss out..."

I've seem something similar on the local TV News a few months ago (maybe last year?).

Seems quite an inventive way to flog your house IMHO.

So they're expecing over 33000 to actually buy a ticket? They'll be lucky to even get a couple of hundred hits to their website, most of which won't buy.

... although where is Shropshire? Is there anything there?

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Have you never heard of Charles Darwin, Wilfred Owen or the Industrial Revolution? They're all from Shropshire, as are The Long Mynd, Ironbridge, Shrewsbury & The Shropshire Hills - an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Oh, and me :blink:

Blah blah blah Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 blah blah blah a visit from the police blah blah blah I've never heard of a successful outcome of one of these.
Nick said he was aware of people doing this competition before and after speaking to Trading Standards and the Gambling Commission they decided to go for it.

But Nick has thought about that!

Is this legal ?

Should it not be registered under the Lotteries Acxt ?

Is it legal to withdraw this if they do not sell the required number of tickets ?

Who is auditing the draw to make sure it is run fairly (oh, look my son has won my house- WOT a SURPRISE !!)

Come on the Police - where are you ??

:angry:

So they're expecing over 33000 to actually buy a ticket? They'll be lucky to even get a couple of hundred hits to their website, most of which won't buy.

These wheezes are invariably found to be illegal - they crop up every year or so in the papers.

The 'Gaming' company's website doesn't exactly inspire confidence. The sparse home page contains 19 spelling and punctuation errors, by my count.

Just the guys to be designing a website for you....

The same scam has been on here about every year. As you say, Sell all the tickets, take money for overvalued property and leave/ or keep 30% of money so far and return rest to winner chosen from hat.

It's a win-win situation for the owner.

This one is requires skill not chance so isn't a lottery apparently

Who won the Grand National in 1977? Was it:-

1. Red Rum

2. West Tip

3. Mr Frisk

4. Well To Do

Entrants acknowledge that the Competition is a prize competition for the purposes of, inter alia, Section 14 (5) of the Gambling Act 2005 and that to win the Competition via answering the Question depends to a substantial degree on the exercise of the skill, judgment and knowledge of the Entrants and that the Prize is not allocated wholly by chance;

You guys are already on to it.

Relevent section from the gambling commission website:

Q. Can I sell my home, for my own benefit, through a lottery rather than using an estate agent?

No, under the Gambling Act 2005 Lotteries (raffles) cannot be run for private or commercial gain.

If you are considering running a prize competition in which the prize is your private home the Commission would recommend you read our guidance on the boundary between prize competitions, free draws and lotteries and take legal advice before proceeding.

Our paper giving guidance on the boundary between prize competitions, free draws and lotteries gives further details.

Ops.

Sent an email to the gambling commission. As follows:

Dear Sir,

The following is on your website:

"Q. Can I sell my home, for my own benefit, through a lottery rather than using an estate agent?

No, under the Gambling Act 2005 Lotteries (raffles) cannot be run for private or commercial gain.

If you are considering running a prize competition in which the prize is your private home the Commission would recommend you read our guidance on the boundary between prize competitions, free draws and lotteries and take legal advice before proceeding.

Our paper giving guidance on the boundary between prize competitions, free draws and lotteries gives further details."

However it seems someone is selling tickets online to sell their house. I felt it was important I reported this illegal activity to you.

Website as follows:

Please investigate and put a stop to this behaviour. It is also worth nothing they plan to deduct "admin" if they do not sell enough tickets. Seems like a dreadful scam.

Regards

Charlie

That shoudl stop them. They are scamming IMHO.

Guest happy?
You guys are already on to it.

Relevent section from the gambling commission website:

Indeed. The Gambling Commission may decide that the simple question doesn't provide sufficient exercise of skill - if it don't clear the hurdle it's a lottery.