House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

I Could Have Had Thousands In Rent, But My Letting Agency Let Me Down

As lessons go, the one that documentary-maker John Battsek learnt about the property market has been an expensive one.

Battsek - famous for his Oscar-winning 1999 film One Day in September about the Munich Olympics - admits that had he been more diligent when finding a lettings agent to rent out his London flat, he might have earned £5,000 in rent this summer. Instead, he has an empty apartment and is another example of an inexperienced landlord paying the price for failing to research how to let out a property.

Mr Battsek wanted to let his two-bedroom flat in Maida Vale, an affluent area of west London, for six months while working in the US. In early May he approached lettings agency Foxtons, which valued the flat at £1,300 a week.

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/aug/03/renting

Not surprised by this at all. My cousin was selling her ex local authority flat a few years back it was in a not very nice south London block. Two well established local agents valued it at £175,000, foxtons who were just opening an office in the area valued it at £240,000. she phoned me and asked what I thought about this , yes if she could have got the £240,000 she would take it. However she realized that they were talking out of their ar-- , and put it with one of the other agents who sold it for £178,000. It's proper value.

Not surprised by this at all. My cousin was selling her ex local authority flat a few years back it was in a not very nice south London block. Two well established local agents valued it at £175,000, foxtons who were just opening an office in the area valued it at £240,000. she phoned me and asked what I thought about this , yes if she could have got the £240,000 she would take it. However she realized that they were talking out of their ar-- , and put it with one of the other agents who sold it for £178,000. It's proper value.

its proper value is about 70k by the sound of it.

Don't go with the EA with the highest or lowest valuation, go with the cheapest one (as long as they're competent).

Don't go with the EA with the highest or lowest valuation, go with the cheapest one (as long as they're competent).

Yes, and also do some of your own research on prices for similar propities in your area. Also when quoted a price ask them for details of prices that they have achived at that level.

Idiot out of his depth loses money by being an idiot. Happens to be a film director. Who cares?

Well, that is a problem with society these days... if youve been on the telly, you are automatically qualified as a person with a point of view that must be taken seriously.

Well, that is a problem with society these days... if youve been on the telly, you are automatically qualified as a person with a point of view that must be taken seriously.

Maybe he should change his name by deed poll to Michael Nonwinner

I dont know whether this is true or not but I heard that Jade Goody is a well respected lecturer in Geography at Oxford University these days. Apparently National Geographic are actually altering the World Map after her recent "ring donut thesis" that the World is shaped like a ring donut and the sun actually revolves in the middle.