House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

They Did Everything The Telly Told Them To, Yet Now..

They watched all the programmes. They borrowed and bought, they developed, they extended, they BTL'd, they invested.

They laminated and magnolia'd, decked the garden, black-marbled their worktops, and made sure the taps were Italian.

They were advised, guided, prompted and cajoled by that box in the corner of the lounge.

And they believed it all.

Were they ever offered a progamme called 'Houses Can Go Down, as Well as Up?'

Can't recall it.

Now the ravens are coming home to roost.

At what point does the tsunami of acrimony and blame that's coming start to hit the broadcasters?

HEROS OF THE BOOM- A Saga of Uk Property Ownership

Traces the progress of two friends who sat through a property investing course in 2004,

and then took wildly divergent paths:

/see:

Is it a book, video, link - where can I get to it? Thanks

Lots of these property developers seem to be bald or balding at an early age-is this desire to make a killing on property some kind of psychological compensation process?

Just wondering.

Lots of these property developers seem to be bald or balding at an early age-is this desire to make a killing on property some kind of psychological compensation process?

Just wondering.

Perhaps they feel owning property will help the young ladies overlook their lack of follicles.

Perhaps they feel owning property will help the young ladies overlook their lack of follicles.

Get the latest vogue for wimmin to wear 70's style sunglasses and fashion I would say the comb over could be back.. B)

Yes, it all looks so crazy now, but the sheeple were on their hands and knees at the trough of cheap credit and renovation just drinking it in thinking they had found their one way ticket to a place in the star mags. Saw a bit of that wanh gok (or whatever) bloke on channel four last night, "plucking" some unknowns from the streets of Cardiff to take part in his show. Some of the young people were just little walking consumption units dressed in their best "I`m cool as ******" outfits. These kids are about to undergo some interesting psychological changes during the return to the thirties we are about to experience.

Edited by dances with sheeple

Yes, it all looks so crazy now, but the sheeple were on their hands and knees at the trough of cheap credit and renovation just drinking it in thinking they had found their one way ticket to a place in the star mags. Saw a bit of that wanh gok (or whatever) bloke on channel four last night, "plucking" some unknowns from the streets of Cardiff to take part in his show. Some of the young people were just little walking consumption units dressed in their best "I`m cool as ******" outfits. These kids are about to undergo some interesting psychological changes during the return to the thirties we are about to experience.

Gok Wan (sigh) When will television get over its obsession with camp?

Where do you start, when you look and listen to him?. Posturing prat.

Like you, I start by switching over as fast as possible

Gok Wan (sigh) When will television get over its obsession with camp?

Where do you start, when you look and listen to him?. Posturing prat.

Like you, I start by switching over as fast as possible

Women think he's great for some reason, my GF is obsessed with his crappy fashion shows. I generally just go and clean the kitchen when he's on.

Back on topic. I never really understood the point of decking a garden. It usually looks rubbish and i'm guessing it has a lot more maintenance issues than a regular patio would.

Women think he's great for some reason, my GF is obsessed with his crappy fashion shows. I generally just go and clean the kitchen when he's on.

Back on topic. I never really understood the point of decking a garden. It usually looks rubbish and i'm guessing it has a lot more maintenance issues than a regular patio would.

Decking a garden is silly. It usually just turns it into a hotel for rats and woodlice.

Let's not forget good ole Russ Whitney.....

http://www.russwhitney.co.uk/

Selling a Property: Preparing a Property for Viewing

As an investor, you are conditioned to looking at property objectively and considering the business elements of the transaction. Your potential buyers are more likely to be emotional at least to some degree, because they are looking for a home. For example, it may be easy for you to look at a room done in some nauseating colour with gouges in the walls and visualize what it will look like patched up and properly painted—but someone just looking for a comfortable home may not be able to get past the thought of, “I can't live in this!” Understanding this is the first step toward preparing a property for viewing.

When you are selling a property, you want to make it as appealing as possible to the most number of potential buyers. These tips will help you get a property ready to be seen:

Thoroughly clean the property. Consider hiring a professional cleaning team that knows how to make a property sparkle.

Remove clutter. If the property is furnished or occupied, be sure all unnecessary items are stored away.

Keep it bright and open. Open the drapes and turn the lights on, even during the day. Keep interior doors open to create the effect of space.

Stage the property with non-personal items such as flowers, bowls of fruit, and neutral prints on the walls so that a viewer can picture himself living there.

Do not display personal photographs or items. This could make a viewer feel like an intruder and make it hard for him to see himself living there.

Eliminate any unpleasant odours. Give the property a thorough “sniff test” and correct any problems that might be generating an offensive smell.

Add an appealing fragrance. Try baking bread, heating almonds gently in the oven, or dabbing a bit of vanilla extract on light bulbs (the aroma releases when the bulb is turned on). Fresh flowers can also add a nice scent to the property.

Consider soft background music to mask outside noises.

Pay special attention to the entrance and front hall. This is what your viewers see first, so be sure it makes the best impression possible.

Make the garden as neat and attractive as possible. Keep the lawn mowed, the beds weeded, and the shrubs trimmed. Paint or replace fences and put away all toys and garden clutter.

Finally, remember that you are part of the viewing experience. Dress neatly in a smart but relaxed outfit that will blend with whatever your prospective buyers might wear, from jeans to suits. Know the property thoroughly so you are prepared to answer any question you might be asked with honesty, confidence, and enthusiasm. Be friendly but not overly-so and ask questions so that you can establish a rapport with the viewers. Creating a favorable impression and pleasant experience will make it much easier to close the sale.

They watched all the programmes. They borrowed and bought, they developed, they extended, they BTL'd, they invested.

They laminated and magnolia'd, decked the garden, black-marbled their worktops, and made sure the taps were Italian.

They were advised, guided, prompted and cajoled by that box in the corner of the lounge.

Can't recall it.

At what point does the tsunami of acrimony and blame that's coming start to hit the broadcasters?

some great lines there :)

Edited by Converted Lurker

DIY joke:

'Aren't they aggressive in B&Q? I walked in, and an assistant came up to me and said, 'Do you want decking?'

I was lucky. I managed to get the first punch in.

Can't recall it.

I've already seen a lot of blame - people blaming TV shows, banks, the Government even - but at the end of the day no-one forced these people to borrow six times their salary, or a BTL up north they'd never seen etc. People should accept they are largely to blame as they got carried away. Doesn't mean the banks and the likes of Kirsty are saints though, they have behaved terribly, but at the end of the day you make the decisions not them.

btw - I much prefer carpet to laminate flooring.

Totally with you on that one! What IS it about "decking"???! I have seen peopl who already have a perfectly good patio go out and waste loads placing wooden decking - with all its attendant maintenance issues - over the top of it!

What for? What do you gain? Nothing apart from copying what the telly or magazine told you to go and buy.

You can spot these 'done up' places a mile off, looking so clinical and un-lived-in. It's all such a cliche. I'm looking forward to a few years time when houses start looking a lot more individual and interesting.

The mejia will soon turn towards talk about 'Green shoots of recovery' and will start telling us the crash was in 2007 and it's over now.

If any place in the world could do with a free press it's here and it's now.

And does this theory not work with money :)

Edited by Justice

Guest happy?
Totally with you on that one! What IS it about "decking"???! I have seen peopl who already have a perfectly good patio go out and waste loads placing wooden decking - with all its attendant maintenance issues - over the top of it!

What for? What do you gain? Nothing apart from copying what the telly or magazine told you to go and buy.

Not only that it's highly dangerous. Most wood gets a light dusting of mould on it - once it rains it turns into a skating rink. Decking has its uses - steeply sloping ground which otherwise is unusable can be brought into productive use - or where a disabled person needs a flat transition between two areas otherwise inaccesible. For most spaces - e.g flat ground it's always struck me as pointless and environmentally destructive.