House Price Crash Forum
renterbob

What Would Happen It Renters Stopped Payments To Landlords?

If renters stopped payments/direct debits to landlords on the brink of doom, unable to pay bills (lets face it, after the Sheffield couple with two kids have been living in their car for two weeks, food has priority over rent), LLs would get reposessed, not have funds to pursue the tenants, and the bank would take the best part of 3 months or more to evict the tenants, and if the tenants, with all their spare money due to non-payment of rent, get a decent solicitor, this could go on for years.

The landlords end up with CCJs, the tenants scott free.

This could work.

If renters stopped payments/direct debits to landlords on the brink of doom, unable to pay bills (lets face it, after the Sheffield couple with two kids have been living in their car for two weeks, food has priority over rent), LLs would get reposessed, not have funds to pursue the tenants, and the bank would take the best part of 3 months or more to evict the tenants, and if the tenants, with all their spare money due to non-payment of rent, get a decent solicitor, this could go on for years.

This could work.

I dont get what you are suggesting here, does seem extremely nasty. You will not be pleased to know that once a tenant gets over 2 months in arrears (not including deposit) you can very quickly go to the court for accelarated possession (via a section8) and with luck have the tenant out within a couple of months, thats if they drag their heels. Most would go quickly once they know that extra costs and hassles are being added to the mix.

This could work.

The renter would get evicted by the landlord. What the point in this pointless topic? :lol:

I dont get what you are suggesting here, does seem extremely nasty. You will not be pleased to know that once a tenant gets over 2 months in arrears (not including deposit) you can very quickly go to the court for accelarated possession (via a section8) and with luck have the tenant out within a couple of months, thats if they drag their heels. Most would go quickly once they know that extra costs and hassles are being added to the mix.

Not meant to be nasty at all..it is a game of risk, the LL and the tenant.

Accelerated posession...hmmmm....and with luck have the tenant out within 4 months....and if they are not lucky, and the tenant IS lucky and has a go, but very sly solicitor? Maybe 8-12 months? That's a years free rent with little risk.

You EA views on this are very welcome, I'm just testing the waters here....

Actually, one cannot go very quickly to court, they are very full, as are the prisons.

You could jump for one place to another. and CCJs are hard to apply to a person that moves around so much.

The renter would get evicted by the landlord. What the point in this pointless topic? :lol:

But, if the LL was repo'd, becuase he couldn't pay the bills...due to non-payment of rent...the bank takes the property...and then starts eviction...that could take alot of time....?

Free rent time.

You could jump for one place to another. and CCJs are hard to apply to a person that moves around so much.

Thanks crash2006...I'm honestly not baiting anyone here...I would like to know what the outcomes may be.

Knowing that CCJs can't really follow someone who moves around say every 6 months or so is good to know.

It is a risk, as is life, as are all investments.

Accelerated posession...hmmmm....and with luck have the tenant out within 4 months....and if they are not lucky, and the tenant IS lucky and has a go, but very sly solicitor? Maybe 8-12 months? That's a years free rent with little risk.

Actually, one cannot go very quickly to court, they are very full, as are the prisons.

yep, courts are full at the moment, and evictions are seen as low level, infact my landlord wanted me out in march i told him no, he had no option but to sign a new contract for 6 months hoping to raise the price again, this time am going to say no to the price rise and no to the leaving. hoping he takes me too court.

hmmm... is this the revolutionary wing? I have no problem with that, if that is your position, and I regret the demise of squatters rights myself (particularly for abandoned council houses) and I have to say that I have had some landlords who would, during a glorious communist revolution be very rightly put up against a wall... but then I have others who have provided a very nice place at a cost less than the cost of buying and been friendly and responsive to maintenence needs. I would say that f your landlord is a cretinous turd who is more interested in money than the state of the property then go for it but otherwise...

Edited by Elizabeth

Thanks crash2006...I'm honestly not baiting anyone here...I would like to know what the outcomes may be.

Knowing that CCJs can't really follow someone who moves around say every 6 months or so is good to know.

It is a risk, as is life, as are all investments.

There are a few proffessional rent evaders, about i was watching a programme and how expensive it is to take them too court and chase for the lost rent.

What if rather than paying for my next meal out I pretend to vomit in the toilets then refuse to pay. I mean what are they going to do, risk a row in their premises or apologise and let me off and possibly give me some compensation. I mean they are charging £10 for ingredients I could buy for £4 and as such are rip off merchants keeping good-honest-hard working people like me out of the food chain.

I don't think I could go to war with the landlord and live comfortably in the house. I know they

can't do anything violent "in law" but if they are about to go bankrupto they might blame you

and do you in then do themselves in!

Didn't someone once re-decorate the house they were renting then claimed a share of the

equity of the property. I think they are still trying to evict them 2 years on. hehe!

<cue punch and judy voice "that's the way to do it!">

I don't think I could go to war with the landlord and live comfortably in the house. I know they

can't do anything violent "in law" but if they are about to go bankrupto they might blame you

and do you in then do themselves in!

Didn't someone once re-decorate the house they were renting then claimed a share of the

equity of the property. I think they are still trying to evict them 2 years on. hehe!

<cue punch and judy voice "that's the way to do it!">

That's a good point, but 'doing a tenant in' is illegal. What the LL does to themselves is their problem.

We mostly deal with agents though don't we. We never meet the LL mst of the time.

Do you have a link to the couple claiming equity due to decoration?...

and they remain in the house for 2 years...great news.

What if rather than paying for my next meal out I pretend to vomit in the toilets then refuse to pay. I mean what are they going to do, risk a row in their premises or apologise and let me off and possibly give me some compensation. I mean they are charging £10 for ingredients I could buy for £4 and as such are rip off merchants keeping good-honest-hard working people like me out of the food chain.

Try eating home instead, you'll save more and it's more healthy.

I think the idea would be that you have a highly leveraged landlord who could not withstand the cash flow problems.

It would be a coordinated move by each of the tenants. When the landlord want to go to court you simply ask for an adjournment on the grounds you will abroad on holiday. That delays things until a new slow is available. When he eventually gets you into court for the eviction order, you still have your notice period issued by the court. He still has to get you out once the notice has expired.

It would be interesting to know about counter claims to the court to delay this further. The thing is, banks dont reposess for 6 months + after he stops paying. So the timing is on his side.

I wouldnt worry too much about costs in this. Costs have to take into account the amounts under dispute. So if you hire a QC to travel from London to Aberdeen to recover a £50 debt in country court, you will get £20 costs and have to pick up the rest yourself.

I think the idea would be that you have a highly leveraged landlord who could not withstand the cash flow problems.

It would be a coordinated move by each of the tenants. When the landlord want to go to court you simply ask for an adjournment on the grounds you will abroad on holiday. That delays things until a new slow is available. When he eventually gets you into court for the eviction order, you still have your notice period issued by the court. He still has to get you out once the notice has expired.

It would be interesting to know about counter claims to the court to delay this further. The thing is, banks dont reposess for 6 months + after he stops paying. So the timing is on his side.

I wouldnt worry too much about costs in this. Costs have to take into account the amounts under dispute. So if you hire a QC to travel from London to Aberdeen to recover a £50 debt in country court, you will get £20 costs and have to pick up the rest yourself.

thanks for this excellent post.

May I ask, what if the LL was being repo'd, AND the tenant stopped rent for the 6 months, could the LL get a tenant evicted whilst being repo'd or could the tenant use the delaying tactic (I'm sick, my solicitors sick etc) over those 6 months and get free rent.

1. Anyone know of average repo times?

2. Anyone know of averag eviction times?

If eviction takes longer than repo, we are in for a great time.

Add into this most BTL having non-BTL mortages, and it would be chaos in court, but great for tenants.

Guest Steve Cook

This could work.

What could work?

You could steal money off another individual?

I hope you get everthing you deserve in life my firend

Edited by Steve Cook

What could work?

You could steal money off another individual?

I hope you get everthing you deserve in life my firend

No, not stealing.

The BTL investor/LA ramps the prices up and us renters are forced to pay their overhiked prices, and we can ramp them down, by legal means, this is not theft.

I'm just feeling the waters here Steve, this is nothing personal.

Guest Steve Cook
No, not stealing.

The BTL investor/LA ramps the prices up and us renters are forced to pay their overhiked prices, and we can ramp them down, by legal means, this is not theft.

I'm just feeling the waters here Steve, this is nothing personal.

So every landlord is a scummy exploiter?

I think that line of reasoning has been used to justify pretty much all forms of action against a whole class of people throughout history. Recent history providing a particularly dark example.

So every tenant is a virtuous saint?

Get real..

Or at least get honest.

You have a vested interest in seeing house prices drop and drop far.

You have apparently no qualms in contemplating doing anything that will further that goal.

You don't actually give a sh*t about anyone or anything that may stand in the way of that goal.

This has got nothing at all to do with morality.

Don't try to bullsh*t yourself that it does.

Edited by Steve Cook

I think that line of reasoning has been used to justify pretty much all forms of action against a whole class of people throughout history. Recent history providing a particularly dark example.

So every tenant is a virtuous saint?

Get real..

Or at least get honest.

You have a vested interest in seeing house prices drop and drop far.

You have apparently no qualms in contemplating doing anything that will further that goal.

You don't actually give a sh*t about anyone or anything that may stand in the way of that goal.

This has got nothing at all to do with morality.

Don't try to bullsh*t yourself that it does.

I have many times said some LL are great...even some LA..so your emotional outburst here is unwarranted. I never said all renters are saints...clearly I am not. But I am not a sheep to be scammed by LL/LA either.

My VI is to decrease rents to a reasonable level for my family. I am honest and open about that.

There are limits as to what I would or would not do, contrary to your statement

I have never argued moraility, so where you get from is a puzzle. That is in your mind, not mine

LL/LA put themselves first, and they get pretty emotionally p off when renters begin to challenge their scamming methods, and we then begin to think along similar lines. It is about time renters put themselves first.

To legally withold rent...what would happen? Do you think I don't have the right to ask this here Steve?

Ofc not. Many are conscientious, do repairs, don't harass etc. Yet this statement could be reversed into "So there are no scummy exploiters?" Once again we have to accept that those too do exist.

All the ammunition rests with the landlord, the tenants have almost no rights, they are frequently ignorant and have little money. They will mostly simply leave if there is any conflict since they have little vested interest. This is known and used by the landlords. If a tenant has a bad landlord there is little they can do other than giving him a hard time back before losing. We need people prepared to do this to discourage bad landlords and turn them into good landlords.

But, if the LL was repo'd, becuase he couldn't pay the bills...due to non-payment of rent...the bank takes the property...and then starts eviction...that could take alot of time....?

Free rent time.

You really think if you or someone stopped paying rent the landlord wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage? You don't know how much the landlords mortgage even is, all you can probably be sure off is that the landlord is happily making money from all off his tenant's each month.

You really think if you or someone stopped paying rent the landlord wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage? You don't know how much the landlords mortgage even is, all you can probably be sure off is that the landlord is happily making money from all off his tenant's each month.

whether the ll can pay or not is irrelevant, if highly likely they can't.

but the renter can still get a good 6 months or so free, if delaying court proceedings a few times as suggested may help

so then, the ll will not be enjoying his HUGE bank balance dwindle into the red. oh dear.

It may well be good to know, however it is not accurate.

CCJs can't really follow someone who moves around often, doesn't pay council tax, doesn't vote, doesn't have a profession, a credit card (any form of credit really). The underclass basic, one step from a hobo. If you live like that then you've got far bigger problems that the price of houses.

As for what you are suggesting regards not paying rent. Like many others, I can't see the point of the discussion. Of course anything is possible but the act amounts to theft, you are happy to receive the services but not pay the agreed costs, for no other reason than you have an almighty chip on your shoulder and you want change.