House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Toyota Verso - Thinking Of Buying One

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 1 year old second-hand Toyota Corolla Verso - not sure whether to get diesel or petrol - and would welcome views.

I am single so it might seem strange that I am thinking abotu an MPV but I am tall with long legs and I find great difficulty getting comfy with all hatch-backs and even some big saloons. I basically whittled the choice down to a Golf Plus and a Toyoto Verso. Both give me lots of head and leg room and have a good upright seat position. I initially did not think about the Verso but I go surfing and mountain-biking and the more I think about it the more the fold-down seats and extra room in the back are a plus.

Anyhow, if anyone has one or has any advice I would welcome it. I am opposed to diesel but I am fighting a losing battle there but am still undecided on choice of fuel.

Thanks,

TMT.

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 1 year old second-hand Toyota Corolla Verso - not sure whether to get diesel or petrol - and would welcome views.

I am single so it might seem strange that I am thinking abotu an MPV but I am tall with long legs and I find great difficulty getting comfy with all hatch-backs and even some big saloons. I basically whittled the choice down to a Golf Plus and a Toyoto Verso. Both give me lots of head and leg room and have a good upright seat position. I initially did not think about the Verso but I go surfing and mountain-biking and the more I think about it the more the fold-down seats and extra room in the back are a plus.

Anyhow, if anyone has one or has any advice I would welcome it. I am opposed to diesel but I am fighting a losing battle there but am still undecided on choice of fuel.

Thanks,

TMT.

Is this like your "I am thinking of taking a sun and beach holiday but need advice thread", where are after loads of helpful replies, you mysteriously change your mind and decide to stay at home? Although in this case, you will stick with the Robin Reliant. Dreamers.....

Is this like your "I am thinking of taking a sun and beach holiday but need advice thread", where are after loads of helpful replies, you mysteriously change your mind and decide to stay at home? Although in this case, you will stick with the Robin Reliant. Dreamers.....

LOL! Nah, the holiday has simlpy been put back till September when the kids are back in school.

As they say in the colonies - "Cant go wrong with a Toyota"

Edit - why are you opposed to diesel?

As they say in the colonies - "Cant go wrong with a Toyota"

Edit - why are you opposed to diesel?

I have asthma and there has been a lot of research in recent years pointing to asthma and diesel. Thinking about it, I have it so perhaps I should be selfish for once. No one else seems to care apart from those who have asthma and, well, we are already fecked by the NOX particulates anyhow.

I was just trying to do my bit for the kids and the environment, etc, but we appear to live in a me me me Society now. So, rant over. :)

I have asthma and there has been a lot of research in recent years pointing to asthma and diesel. Thinking about it, I have it so perhaps I should be selfish for once. No one else seems to care apart from those who have asthma and, well, we are already fecked by the NOX particulates anyhow.

I was just trying to do my bit for the kids and the environment, etc, but we appear to live in a me me me Society now. So, rant over. :)

I have got a 1.8l Avensis - petrol and the fuel economy is superb. Typically I average 40-45mpg. Bear in mond cheaper servicing costs and the cost differential in fuel. Unless you are doing 15000 plus diesel not worth it.

Have you considered a Skoda Roomster?

Looks that only a mother could love but I think it'll tick your practicality boxes, 1.2 or 1.4 may feel underpowered but the 1.6 petrol engine will do the job and should be good for 40mpg on a run

Edit to add: I know you need leg room / height. maybe be best to post a thread on the Honest John backroom forum to ask for long leg / head room cars http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum

Hi,

Thanks,

TMT.

My Colleague is 6'7'' tall. He has Ford Focus C-MAX. Seems to be happy and comfortable with.

I have got a 1.8l Avensis - petrol and the fuel economy is superb. Typically I average 40-45mpg. Bear in mond cheaper servicing costs and the cost differential in fuel. Unless you are doing 15000 plus diesel not worth it.

I had considered the 1.8 Verso but I had read people saying that the engine was not powerful to move a fully loaded Verso - but then I am not sure if or when I would have it fully loaded?

I also read that the 1.8 VWT engine develops a thirst for oil after about, I think, 40K miles?

Thanks though for the info as I will be taking a look at both a petrol and a diesel later this week.

My Colleague is 6'7'' tall. He has Ford Focus C-MAX. Seems to be happy and comfortable with.

Thanks for the tip. I did sit in a C-Max but found that it had quite a wide steering column, seems to be common in Fords these days, that resulted in me sitting with my legs sort of wrapped around it and it felt very unnatural.

To be frank, it made me feel as if I was a woman wrapping my legs around a bloke if you see what I mean and I had the impression that after driving one for a while I would be permanently bow-legged. :blink:

Have you considered a Skoda Roomster?

Looks that only a mother could love but I think it'll tick your practicality boxes, 1.2 or 1.4 may feel underpowered but the 1.6 petrol engine will do the job and should be good for 40mpg on a run

Edit to add: I know you need leg room / height. maybe be best to post a thread on the Honest John backroom forum to ask for long leg / head room cars http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum

Thanks.

I did email HonestJohn in the Telegraph last week to his Choose A Car column. I got an email back yesterday with some advice, for which I am grateful, but the advice was to consider:

Renault Kangoo combi

Citroen Berlingo Multispace

I had no idea what both cars looked like but when I had a look they reminded me of something an onion seller would drive... with room in the back for some chickens also. Apart from that neither of them were going to be a hit with the rubber-clad surfie chicks. So I was grateful but a tad disappointed with the recommendations.