House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frankief

Some People Are Desperate For A Council House

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Family...e-in.4350888.jp

Noticed this in the local paper.

Am I being heartless?, but they have to pay £550/ month mortgage or live on the street.

He has a job as a postman - not much of a decision to be made there.

Swallow the medicine, son.

Why not sell the Vectra, get a couple of grand - tide you over? - then I thought 'is it paid for though, what else do they owe?'

Have they gone back to live with the in-laws but are campaigning for a council house?

Edited by frankief

Totally agree. They have made themselves intentionally homeless. Why is it being urgently reviewed? £553 is less than the a 3 bedroom house to rent in most parts of the country. I am sure he is on a low wage but how did they manage to find a place for 60K odd. Was it a council right-to-buy? Because I can't think of any other way to find such a cheap house in the past 7 years, and it doesn't sound like they have lived there long. People tend to get attached to their houses. The only thing that mitigates is that they are probably eligible for housing benefits for his low wages, but if they bought a former council house then they shouldn't get another one (pure speculation of course)

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Family...e-in.4350888.jp

Noticed this in the local paper.

Am I being heartless?, but they have to pay £550/ month mortgage or live on the street.

He has a job as a postman - not much of a decision to be made there.

Swallow the medicine, son.

Wouldn't hundreds of hardworking immigrants love to swap places with them and make a go of it?

Why not sell the Vectra, get a couple of grand - tide you over? - then I thought 'is it paid for though, what else do they owe?'

Have they gone back to live with the in-laws but are campaigning for a council house?

Yes you are being heartless. He works and pays tax and national insurance, and all the other taxes this country demands . Tax is so high at the lower end of earnings that ordinary people cannot survive . Thousands of hardworking immigrants have added to this problem by keeping pay down. If immigrants work here and have children back home who have never set foot in this country , they can claim child allowance for them , but we wont house one of our own familys who have fallen on hard times . It is about time we or should I say our government looked after are own people with our tax money.

Fairly obviously, there are a lot of facts missing here, We know that a postie is on £19K minimum from the strike they had, plus his family and tax credits. So that's normal man on a 3X multiple who got repossessed because he had a subprime mortgage - er why - because, I wager, they had a load of other rubbish and those commitments scuppered them. They should be able to afford this - unless they have been thick or very unlucky - I know which one I think it will be.

Terrible journalism as usual

Yes you are being heartless. He works and pays tax and national insurance, and all the other taxes this country demands . Tax is so high at the lower end of earnings that ordinary people cannot survive . Thousands of hardworking immigrants have added to this problem by keeping pay down. If immigrants work here and have children back home who have never set foot in this country , they can claim child allowance for them , but we wont house one of our own familys who have fallen on hard times . It is about time we or should I say our government looked after are own people with our tax money.

If the hardworking immigrant also pays his taxes and national insurance and all the other taxes this country demands and claims child allowance for his children elsewhere, all things being equal he is putting in the same as anyone else but taking out somewhat less. Contrary to the impression you are trying to create, our hardworking new friend is quite the philanthropist. Or when you talk about "our tax money" do you believe a refund should be paid to immigrant workers who leave their children behind elsewhere? Still, what is reason in the face of a knee-jerk response eh.

Shit! I knew I shouldn't have mentioned immigrants! :rolleyes:

I just meant to say a poor person given a job as a postie and a £550 house rental would be able to support his family...or her family..whatever.

If the hardworking immigrant also pays his taxes and national insurance and all the other taxes this country demands and claims child allowance for his children elsewhere, all things being equal he is putting in the same as anyone else but taking out somewhat less. Contrary to the impression you are trying to create, our hardworking new friend is quite the philanthropist. Or when you talk about "our tax money" do you believe a refund should be paid to immigrant workers who leave their children behind elsewhere? Still, what is reason in the face of a knee-jerk response eh.

You are wrong on most points, but I really can't be bothered tonight.

The immigrants go home, claim tax back, get a new passport, come back...ditto...and now they're leaving due to the economic downturn, though many will stay to claim benefits, though many are getting benefits from UK to send back to Poland already etc etc...alot of fraud......

You are so wrong, UKplc is being fleeced by immigrants, and the councils up and down the UK are 'reserving housing' for immigrants, whilst families from the UK are living in their cars...a bloody disgrace.

What I was implying is that the sold called hard working immigrants have kept pay levels low.

Child allowance is payable to help towards the cost of living for people with children , people who have children here spend it here not abroad , and all have similar child care costs. Children still in other countries where the cost of living is lower will have a have a far higher spending power for their children in those countries.

If the immigrants come here of their own free will , they pay our taxes , I see no reason that the british tax payer should be paying benifits to children who are not here. Wheter their parents work here or not. No I dont think they should get a refund , does a person here get a rebate if they have no children here or anywhere else . There are plenty of people putting in far far more than they get out .

You are wrong on most points, but I really can't be bothered tonight.

The immigrants go home, claim tax back, get a new passport, come back...ditto...and now they're leaving due to the economic downturn, though many will stay to claim benefits, though many are getting benefits from UK to send back to Poland already etc etc...alot of fraud......

You are so wrong, UKplc is being fleeced by immigrants, and the councils up and down the UK are 'reserving housing' for immigrants, whilst families from the UK are living in their cars...a bloody disgrace.

Well said.

Why would any council keep property empty 'just in case' rather than let someone rent it for income? Its more that they sold too much of it off. <_<

So which bit of "2 year fixed rate" was it that they failed to understand, exactly?

Blah blah blah , they bought a house because they thought the value would rise, neglected to think about the fact that interest rates might also rise, and then found that they couldn't afford what they'd committed to.

Am I expected to think that this is a "hard luck" story? It wouldn't have been a story at all if they'd stuck to what they could afford and rented instead, because they would have been fine.

Jesus wept, words fail me. All their troubles are of their own making. Don't try and get my sympathy on the kids thing either, you only have to pop down the local clap clinic to get a paper bag full of free condoms.

So which bit of "2 year fixed rate" was it that they failed to understand, exactly?

Blah blah blah , they bought a house because they thought the value would rise, neglected to think about the fact that interest rates might also rise, and then found that they couldn't afford what they'd committed to.

Am I expected to think that this is a "hard luck" story? It wouldn't have been a story at all if they'd stuck to what they could afford and rented instead, because they would have been fine.

Jesus wept, words fail me. All their troubles are of their own making. Don't try and get my sympathy on the kids thing either, you only have to pop down the local clap clinic to get a paper bag full of free condoms.

If people did not have kids the local clap clinic would one day have no one to give out the condoms.

Why would any council keep property empty 'just in case' rather than let someone rent it for income? Its more that they sold too much of it off. <_<

I agree, why would they.

They do it is fact.

Call your council and seewhat number they will put you on their housing list.

One things for sure...those who 'own' their house...make sure you don't get repo'd...as your council won't give a toss

If people did not have kids the local clap clinic would one day have no one to give out the condoms.

Aah, the right to have kids thread hijack again? How exciting.

Houses would probably be quite cheap to buy in that unlikely scenario though, would they not?

Aah, the right to have kids thread hijack again? How exciting.

Houses would probably be quite cheap to buy in that unlikely scenario though, would they not?

NO ,not the right to have kids hijack.

The cost of houses would be irrelevant as the population would die out , would it not?

"Increasing payments strained the family budget and in December, Laura and Richard had to choose between a mortgage payment and buying Christmas presents for their children."

Presumably they decided their toddlers should have a christmas to remember. They'll certainly remember living in a car, but the mortgage money spent on presents won't mean a thing to them 2 days after xmas.

Fook me,

There's some miserable, smug, heartless kunts on here!

The whole point of welfare in a civilised society is to provide a safety net for those who get into difficulties. This family is not asking for a free council house for the rest of their lives, just a bit of help in getting back on their feet.

They're not dole scrounging scumbags - they look like honest working class folk who've fallen on hard times. There but for the grace of God go most of us.

Thirty years ago families like this would probably have rented off the council all their lives at an affordable price. In the days before the mad woman took over it was considered a responsibilty of the state via councils to provide decent affordable rented accomodation to the citizens of this country.

Thatcher changed that. In a transparently corrupt move to buy Tory votes she effectively forced a free market solution in housing on nearly everyone.

As we are seeing now however, the free market is absolutely crap at providing affordable housing for working class people.

Families like this are not the problem. They are a symptom of a greater problem. Our anger should be directed at the true culprits;

Incompetent governments...

...and evil banks.

Fook me,

There's some miserable, smug, heartless kunts on here!

The whole point of welfare in a civilised society is to provide a safety net for those who get into difficulties. This family is not asking for a free council house for the rest of their lives, just a bit of help in getting back on their feet.

They're not dole scrounging scumbags - they look like honest working class folk who've fallen on hard times. There but for the grace of God go most of us.

Thirty years ago families like this would probably have rented off the council all their lives at an affordable price. In the days before the mad woman took over it was considered a responsibilty of the state via councils to provide decent affordable rented accomodation to the citizens of this country.

Thatcher changed that. In a transparently corrupt move to buy Tory votes she effectively forced a free market solution in housing on nearly everyone.

As we are seeing now however, the free market is absolutely crap at providing affordable housing for working class people.

Families like this are not the problem. They are a symptom of a greater problem. Our anger should be directed at the true culprits;

Incompetent governments...

...and evil banks.

Great post.

The Iron b**** also screwed all our energy supplies, we were self sufficient until her and ehr cronies wanted a few more pennies for their full coffers. And that muppet Millband who wants Browns job thinks she's the bees knees!

God help us all.

There is plenty of overtime for posties, you can earn £30k easily. Accept responsibility for your own behaviour!

Fine.

I'm sure the poor bloke would actually agree with you.

In the meantime however, he's living in his fookin' car with his family and they can't get a privately rented house because their credit rating's shot.

So what exactly is he supposed to do?

If he is given a little help now with accomodation so that they can get a reasonable deposit together for a rental there is a very good chance that this family will be self-sufficient within the year.

If they get no help they could well fall apart, become a permanant burden on the state and bear a grudge against society for generations.

Which would you prefer?

Edited by Mr Yogi