House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PropertyAnalyser

What Is Your Rent/mortgage As A Percentage Of Takehome Pay

After this response to one of my earlier posts on another thread I thought I'd see if I really am paying over the odds, or if others are in a similar position.

Happy voting.

PA.

We pay about 27% (roughly) of takehome on rent between me and my Fiancée. I wouldn't worry about RenterBob saying it was outrageous they you are paying 39%. He would still be unhappy paying 1% of takehome in rent, which makes you wonder why he doesn't go back to mummy's house.

Approximately 15% to rent the current place. Should I be stupid enough to purchase, it would be double to service a mortgage on the property.

After this response to one of my earlier posts on another thread I thought I'd see if I really am paying over the odds, or if others are in a similar position.

Happy voting.

PA.

Mortgage 27%. Throw in the insurance, mortgage protection insurance and maintenance/repairs and I suspect it's more like 35%.

I can't believe the rents in London. You couldn't pay me that sort of money to live in the world capital of rudeness and materialism.

Edited by Leodhasach

We own our house outright, so mortgage/rent is 1/infinitieth of pay. But pay looks like its heading zero-wards too, so it's not all smugness!!

Edited by blankster

We own our house outright, so mortgage/rent is 1/infinitieth of pay. But pay looks like its heading zero-wards too, so it's not all smugness!!

But that's the good thing about no rent / no mortgage - who cares if there's no job.

no-one should pay more than 7.5% of take home pay.

f** the LL scum!

I am very happy. Last time I looked, the house was valued somewhere around 700k, Mrs. Spicy and I pay less than £1,400 per month.

We dont need to pay that much and could live somewhere cheaper but we have the cash and like living in a beautiful country house when its mostly funded by the landlord. Kind of hoping that she will want to sell it in 12/18 months time.

You may think the LL is scum but when they are willing to subsidise our country living, then I think she is rather nice. She even pays for our gardener! In our case LL = Lovely Lady.

£300 per month on a 3 bedroom semi, 10min from the station. 40 min in to London Liverpool St. Peak value was probably around £220-230k

Only downside is I have a resident landlord (actually not a negative in my case, as he's a very good cook). I also pay half the bills, but I can't complain though as I get to use all his electrical goods and he drives me to and from the supermarket.

I also I get two of the three bedrooms.

0%

I am 28 and paid off my mortgage.

Nice, but I hope that was acheived via a success story and not the bad way :(

But that's the good thing about no rent / no mortgage - who cares if there's no job.

That's what one thinks until the reality occurs. Council tax, food, car to run, electricity/gas/phone/internet/water. Once you start to eat into savings, you start to worry - especially if the savings are modest.

22%, central Edinburgh, not 'that London'.

Although I quite fancy my chances of finding somewhere cheaper, if my recent foray into viewing rented property is anything to go by. Lots of hard up LL's! Shame.

Edited by Mancghirl

WTF!!! :unsure:

Most of you must be on £70k+ salaries or living in some of the cheapest rented accomodation in the UK.

Or am I thinking too Londoncentric?

or old enough to have small mortgages

Happy voting.

PA.

~15% but that is because I am in a flat share.

If I was on my own - onebedroom it would be up somewhere about 40/50%

Are we looking at single or joint income?

As a % it's going to be higher for just my income but a lot lower if the wife's money is taken into account.

So is the question relating to household income?

That was a bit of an oversight on my part when creating the poll. I had intended it to be for single incomes, but didn't explicitly state that, so I guess the poll may be a little biased towards the lower end with some people using joint incomes to work out the percentages.

Oh well, I'll think a little longer before I create the next one.

PA.

~15% but that is because I am in a flat share.

If I was on my own - onebedroom it would be up somewhere about 40/50%

I currently live in a house share, a very nice one too (and yes, I've seen some right dives). I pay 20% which includes all bills apart from telephone.