House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
House Builder

It All Sems To Be About The Money

hi all,

Been a lurker for sometime(work in the house Building industry)but can't help but notice that the thread of most post's seems not to be about house price increases but the fact that 'they' are not part of it.Even the most bear posts have a hint that they think house prices will rise one day it's just that they hope they are on the ladder by then.!!!Why would people not want to make a profit out of money invested, in a house or otherwise.Forgeting 'the house is a home' angle.

Spell check in title(don't know how)

Edited by House Builder

Of course it's about money! That's what's used to buy houses. It's about money in the sense that I fail to see why I should be charged a massively increased income multiple to buy somewhere simply by virtue of being born a few years later than others. I mean, it's hardly a privilege to have to pay an absolute fortune (compared to incomes... the important point, here) for something purely and simply by virtue of my parents deciding they fancied a few extra years of recreational sex before getting down to the whole sperm n' egg business, is it?

Hope you're popping open the champers at the price of domestic gas! That's going up, up, up as well!

Forgeting 'the house is a home' angle.

Yeah- I know what you mean- where did that strange idea come from anyway? Houses as homes, what will they think of next.? :rolleyes:

hi all,

Been a lurker for sometime(work in the house Building industry)but can't help but notice that the thread of most post's seems not to be about house price increases but the fact that 'they' are not part of it.Even the most bear posts have a hint that they think house prices will rise one day it's just that they hope they are on the ladder by then.!!!Why would people not want to make a profit out of money invested, in a house or otherwise.Forgeting 'the house is a home' angle.

it's not an investment, it's a house - it often requires someone to get heavily into debt to give someone else a profit - anyone wanting to dabble in investments should come and play with the big boys and see how long they last

hi all,

well i feel theres nothing wrong with folk making a profit. I feel there is everything wrong with a large swathe of the population being priced out of the possibility of adequate accommodation. This is the reality for millions. I work my nuts off in care. Im 52. Im living in a rented room, and as a multiple occupancy person I have less rights, i am less enfranchised in society, whether its getting a parking permit ( i will not be eligible under my councils proposed scheme,) or being able to have my own bin, all this I cant have. This is wrong and im angry, ok?

There is nothing wrong with making a profit by honest means.Whether that is by skill,hard graft,a new idea,musical ability whatever.

The problem with our society now is people just expect it to fall out of the sky for feck all effort.That coupled with what can only be construed as deceitful,fraudulent and downright dishonourable conduct from the big boys,we seem to have a witches brew of all that is worst in society through extremes of greed/fear/influence/violence/predatory actions.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit by honest means.Whether that is by skill,hard graft,a new idea,musical ability whatever.

The problem with our society now is people just expect it to fall out of the sky for feck all effort.That coupled with what can only be construed as deceitful,fraudulent and downright dishonourable conduct from the big boys,we seem to have a witches brew of all that is worst in society through extremes of greed/fear/influence/violence/predatory actions.

its just a normal thing in a credit bubble, people borrow to buy and bid up prices the asset gains value thinking they are getting money for nothing they borrow more and bid up prices higher and higher on and on it goes until the bust.

They are not evil its just human nature and human nature never changes.

Same thing happend in the South Sea bubble, the Canal Stocks Bubble, the Railway Bubble, the stock market bubble etc. etc.

its just a normal thing in a credit bubble, people borrow to buy and bid up prices the asset gains value thinking they are getting money for nothing they borrow more and bid up prices higher and higher on and on it goes until the bust.

Same thing happend in the South Sea bubble, the Canal Stocks Bubble, the Railway Bubble, the stock market bubble etc. etc.

But I don't need an canal or a railway to put my babies to bed in at night, I need a roof over my head ie a house.

The bubble created was to divert attention from the middle east crisis and nothing else, had we not all been too busy shopping with the MEWed money we might have noticed the illegal invasions.

But I don't need an canal or a railway to put my babies to bed in at night, I need a roof over my head ie a house.

The bubble created was to divert attention from the middle east crisis and nothing else, had we not all been too busy shopping with the MEWed money we might have noticed the illegal invasions.

Usually after a bubble the pain is so bad laws are written to try to stop it happening again.

I think Lloyd George tried to stop rental property being an investment about 90 years ago by fixing rents and by giving tenants a permanent right to stay in the property.

Hopefully this time laws will be enacted to prevent residential property being an investment.

It will not help you but may stop this monsterous inequity caused by people investing in multiple properties happening again.

hi all,

I think you are trying to say in a cryptic manner that most posters are just waiting for houses to fall before profiting themselves.

Some no doubt are, and want to get the timing right.

Many others think that repeated boom and bust in housing markets is socially and economically undesirable, as it leads to monsterously unfair transfers of wealth usually dictated by luck and otherwise by speculation in assets which are needed to provide homes for taxpaying citizens.

But you don't make any comment or critique on whether that is good or bad, or at least have the decency to call posters hypocrites in straight terms. And in any event, the vast majority of threads do not make the point you are implying.

Why don't you just come out with what you really think?

i would just like some small average home that i dont have to bust an absolute above average nut for.

something that doesnt require working 60 hrs to just hang on too.

id like to have some money left for furniture, holidays etc.

is it too much too ask ?

Well said. This has less to do with being born at the right/wrong time (see the post from the 52 yo above), more to do with having the time when you want to buy a home coincide with the biggest credit binge the world has ever seen. I expect that people who weren't well-placed to get in on the ground floor with tulip bulbs cursed their luck too ... until it turned out that they were the lucky ones.

I think you are trying to say in a cryptic manner that most posters are just waiting for houses to fall before profiting themselves.

Some no doubt are, and want to get the timing right.

Many others think that repeated boom and bust in housing markets is socially and economically undesirable, as it leads to monsterously unfair transfers of wealth usually dictated by luck and otherwise by speculation in assets which are needed to provide homes for taxpaying citizens.

But you don't make any comment or critique on whether that is good or bad, or at least have the decency to call posters hypocrites in straight terms. And in any event, the vast majority of threads do not make the point you are implying.

Why don't you just come out with what you really think?

I think a lot of us only come on here only to have a laugh at the ill informed and angry residents of this wonderful country that is great Britain ! Makes us think when we're low and lacking confidence...ooo there's someone even stupider out there than me !! The hate and venom to anyone who dared to have profited from B2L is particularly amusing, as is their joy at hoping to see some of them get what's coming to them ! :unsure:

I particularly enjoy the great charts and predictions (think the bubb is the best at this)... for future trends based on historical insights (mystic meg like !!)

And the favourite is the STR of 2002 who are dying to get back on the merry go round and profit next time as they made a gamble and LOST :!! They want REVENGE !!!

well i feel theres nothing wrong with folk making a profit. I feel there is everything wrong with a large swathe of the population being priced out of the possibility of adequate accommodation. This is the reality for millions. I work my nuts off in care. Im 52. Im living in a rented room, and as a multiple occupancy person I have less rights, i am less enfranchised in society, whether its getting a parking permit ( i will not be eligible under my councils proposed scheme,) or being able to have my own bin, all this I cant have. This is wrong and im angry, ok?

I know nothing of your personal circumstances or history BM, but at 52 you have lived as an adult through at least two periods of very cheap housing, two booms, and (now) two busts.

To pin all the blame for your current situation on the recent bubble might possibly be stretching things a tad.

I'm of a similar age, however. If I suddenly found myself having to live in 'student type' accomodation again I'd be pretty p1ssed off too.