House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heather5

Shared Ownership New Schemes Are Already Being Offered

Previously council employees could get involved in shared ownership schemes only by schemes that were supporting the properties they had bought.

However, I've recently learnt that anyone who is a Council employee can expect that the 50% property mark-up will be met by the govt via certain scheme already in place by this Govt.

So if the potential owner can stump up 100% of their income i.e. 75% - then Govt will buy the rest on "terms" and meet 50% of the property price.

This is enabling them to pay £75k on a property of £150K.

I have explained to the person concerned that he will have to pay for the interest on 75k - but he doesn't seem to think that this is an issue.

It may well not be an issue in the long-term - he is only 26 - and on 24k - but he is hoping to get his mortgage based on a joint income from a casual girlfriend.

It has all been approved by the mortgage company - Nationwide - because that's who he has always been with - and he believes they are going to treat him right.

It seems that since the crisis - perhaps unknown to most of you - they have been pushing 50% ownership - based on Council Employees just chosing any property of their choice. End of.

In this case - they've decided to go for £150k on a two bed house.

They will only ever enjoy 50% but when I pointed out that the interest alone - and the interst on the "loan" will be more than if they saved for the next few years.

But they're going for it - because someone told them properties will go up by 25%.

This seems to be the govt doing this without telling the public that they are meeting 50% of any property a Council Employer buys at better rates than the average person could afford.

Anyone care to comment?