House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jac

Evening Standard Propaganda - House Prices Always Rise In London

It IS a lie - she claims that the rental version of the same monthly cost would be smaller and not as nice. I can't speak for the rest of the country but in London that is simply not true, even at interest only, 80% LTV.

However, I remember the Evening Standard last HPC, and they were just the same - house prices about to recover, interest rates coming down soon, turn to the back 5 pages of adverts with artist's impressions of the new developments for sale. It made NO DIFFERENCE.

It IS a lie - she claims that the rental version of the same monthly cost would be smaller and not as nice. I can't speak for the rest of the country but in London that is simply not true, even at interest only, 80% LTV.

However, I remember the Evening Standard last HPC, and they were just the same - house prices about to recover, interest rates coming down soon, turn to the back 5 pages of adverts with artist's impressions of the new developments for sale. It made NO DIFFERENCE.

im in london too. i rent. and i could rent 3 flats for the cost of an interest only mortgage!

Edited by jac

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...e#StartComments

have they no morals?

please can we bombard this website with sensible alternatives?

this is the kind of brainwashing that got us into this mess

this is the biggest housing crash since the 1930s and they think house prices will be up 25% in 5 years ?!?! WTF!?!?

Let them have their fun....it really makes no difference.

The main factor (which wasn't present in 2005) is sentiment / expectation. The expectation is of house price falls, (a point that Fionnoula whosser face noted today) is now the overiding factor in the housing market going forward.

I'm seeing such bizzare pricing on RM as to be quite astonishing. Flats have capitulated in parts of Birmingham....and they still aren't selling.

Some refuse to believe that their luxury "invesment" flat in Birmingham is not worth 150k and so still list it for this price. Others have slashed their price right down. The part buy / part rent peddlers don't know what to do.

It's mad out there.....but quite entertaining if you follow the right areas :lol::P:lol:

That was a great giggle. She's stuck with those mortgage repayments for the next thirty years, and if in two years time her pad isn't worth 200k less than she paid for it, I'll eat Krusty's hat.

She paid 200K more for than they were going for 18months previously?! That rings some fcking big alarm bells for me. Does it not for you? Sheeples to the the slaughter.

That '25%' rise tripe was uninformed, dangerous rubbish - and people are making future plans on the basis of it. The publishers should be castrated.

It's not lies, it's not proganda, it's not brainwashing.

It's just a buyer would has made the worst financial decision of her life and she hasn't quite reconciled herself to it yet, so is going through the denial stage.

At least she likes her little terrace, she'll be chained to it for a while.

worst case this bird is on 90K, borrowed close to 500K on an I/O mortgage, probably with a 50K Bank of Mum & Dad deposit.

(based on the snippets on 5.5 X income and £300 saved as tracker rates decined by .75%)

this time next year, she'll be looking at 100K of negative equity ....

I'd never be able to afford my own house now.

She says.

So who does she think will be able to afford it? And what does she think that will do for it's value?

Where does she think all this money comes from?

Reading it it's such an awkward mix of HPI cliche, scaremongering (get on that ladder now! Renting is soooo expensive!) and plain untruth it makes me suspect "Charlotte Ross" is as genuine as a 25% house price rise in the next five years. This must be an editorial, written as an attempt to bolster the market by attempting to get anyone not credit-crunched out of it to jump on the sinking ship.

The only people you hear coming out with such tripe are deeply invested in HPI and the London Daily Mail's advertising is very geared towards property. They must be worried.

As for the claim that London renting is more expensive than a mortgage, that hasn't been true in my experience for years.

Edited by Glittery Hoo Haa

Stupid bint.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/au...r.trinitymirror

Media: Shrinking Trinity Mirror reflects hard times

· Advertising revenue declines 15% in July

· Operating profits fall 16% in 'difficult environment'

* Chris Tryhorn

* The Guardian,

* Friday August 1 2008

Trinity Mirror underlined the scale of the deepening crisis in newspaper advertising yesterday when it announced its year-on-year revenues were down 15% in July.

Other newspaper groups such as Daily Mail & General Trust and Johnston Press have also described an acceleration in the pace of the advertising downturn.

Ha... some of the poster on that site are desperately trying to convince themselves they did the right thing in buying - much like the useless journo who wrote that garbage. It's pish.