House Price Crash Forum

Political Correctness Strikes Again

HOLA441

Times report. Executive summary: Special Boat Service trainee dropped dead during a particularly grueling training exercise, possibly due to heat exhaustion. Investigations are being carried out by several agencies, including the Health and Safety Executive.

Sorry if this sounds callous, but surely the HSE exists to deal with unnecessary dangers in environments which under normal circumstances should not be dangerous? The exercise in question was designed to test those undertaking it to the very limit of physical endurance, and they'd all voluntarily signed up to a line of work which involves their life being placed in danger. In other words, they'd agreed to go into harm's way (for which, as a citizen, I'm very grateful, incidentally).

What are they going to do next? Insist on a health and safety risk assessment being undertaken on the alleys and back streets of Sadr City? Pinstriped civil servant: 'Oh dear Mr. Bin Laden, you really shouldn't be waving that AK47 around, you know. Have you completed the training course on that equipment and got your certificate?'

HOLA442

It gets everywhere, as our favourite Secret Agent has discovered:

‘Morning all.’ Announces the officer without a trace of irony, as I banish unpleasant thoughts that perhaps B has been riding his panda inappropriately and she’s the one with the latex-filled orifice.

‘No bike today?’ I ask when I realise it’s a social visit encouraged by our open door policy and the policeman shakes his head and tells a familiar tale.

Turns out he’s no longer allowed to pedal his pushbike until he takes a health and safety cycling proficiency course, and like our just departed competitor his station is slated for the chop too.

Linky

HOLA443
Times report. Executive summary: Special Boat Service trainee dropped dead during a particularly grueling training exercise, possibly due to heat exhaustion. Investigations are being carried out by several agencies, including the Health and Safety Executive.

Sorry if this sounds callous, but surely the HSE exists to deal with unnecessary dangers in environments which under normal circumstances should not be dangerous? The exercise in question was designed to test those undertaking it to the very limit of physical endurance, and they'd all voluntarily signed up to a line of work which involves their life being placed in danger. In other words, they'd agreed to go into harm's way (for which, as a citizen, I'm very grateful, incidentally).

What are they going to do next? Insist on a health and safety risk assessment being undertaken on the alleys and back streets of Sadr City? Pinstriped civil servant: 'Oh dear Mr. Bin Laden, you really shouldn't be waving that AK47 around, you know. Have you completed the training course on that equipment and got your certificate?'

I think, like in most cases, you have to be in possesion of all the facts. There is such a thing as abuse. He may have not been up to standard, and he could have been trying his hardest. His superior should intervene. After all a boxing referee don't let contestants destroy themselves

HOLA444

Heat exhaustion, which leads to heat stroke is common

The person marching him around is responsible for his death in my opinion. it can be cured by stopping, shade and cool water.

Once the body overheats it also disables the hypothalamus so you stop sweating and carry on heating up until you die, being a chemical being, there is no recovery from heat stroke unless the body cools.

I did the BARB and army fitness test a year after a recruit had died from heat stroke, they gave us all drinks with salt and electolytes, as well as breaks.

Edit: although I agree PC has gone too far, same as the safety culture, it hides real risks along with all the idiotic stuff.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20678022/

They were ordered by an instructor to do two laps round their camp in Mid-Wales at 6am after

one of them dropped a chocolate wrapper on a 14-mile march the previous day. Last night fellow

soldiers backed calls for an inquiry - and claimed Benjamin may have been pushed too hard

One source said: "Everyone is absolutely gutted about Benjy's death. He was just a good solid guy

- a good lad. I believe he served in Afghanistan.

"There should definitely be an inquiry. They didn't take into consideration the fact that the weather

was so hot. We know the selection process has to be hard - that's why the SAS and the SBS are the best in the world.

"But all the lads on the selection exercise had already proved themselves in theatre - and they're all fit.

The chief instructor would have had the power to stop this exercise.

"Benjy was absolutely exhausted. He should not have started the walk. The recruits were all f*****.

HOLA445
HOLA446
As police launched an investigation yesterday, defence ministers called for an "urgent and thorough" inquiry.

Ha, nothing to worry about then. Inspector Knacker couldn't catch a cold in a flu ward and the more "urgent" and "thorough" the inquiry, the less it is likely to achieve.

HOLA447
Ha, nothing to worry about then. Inspector Knacker couldn't catch a cold in a flu ward and the more "urgent" and "thorough" the inquiry, the less it is likely to achieve.

Thats why all the jails are overflowing is it?

Why dont you try and form your own opinions instead of believing everything you read in the Daily Wail.

Archived