House Price Crash Forum
OLDFTB

Britains Banks Contemplating Massive Hpc

Did you see that bloke from HBOS saying that commercial property has already fallen 19% and he expects a total fall of 26%?

Something odd about his body language at that point!

Did you see that bloke from HBOS saying that commercial property has already fallen 19% and he expects a total fall of 26%?

Something odd about his body language at that point!

I think the technical term for it is:The scooby-doo moment

You know the bit at the end of the cartoon where the mask gets pulled off of the criminal,and The bogeyman was Mr Jones the janitor all along....those pesky darned kids.

HPC have been for many adventures in the mystery machine,what are us pesky armchair economists going to unveil next??

You can watch again at 8pm if you miss it.

Should be interesting!

(Caravan intheditch story is first on)

they are still contemplating it?

Funny how non of the main players never saw the up and coming problems that Eric talkes about which surfaced in 2003

yes miraculous isn't it??

how much are they being paid?

says that the average home is worth 8% less that a year ago. Is that right? or is it that houses are, on average, worth 8% less that a year ago. or is that the same thing? darn stats, never my strong point :P

Wasn't it the Land Registry report out this week that showed the average house was only getting abotu 90% of its asking price so... do you take 8% off the asking price and then a further 10% to get to the price you should offer now if you were so silly as to buy a house now in a falling market.

Are we really talking about 18% off prices?

Enjoyed that. Pleasant CH 4 film clip on the growing sense of doom anong the VIs.

I liked the optimistic bit at the end when the newsreader said that Centrica bosses were celebrating 250k bonuses on the back of British Gas profits hitting close to a billion. Some reports said cases of vintage Dom Perignon were being delivered to their head office the day before ready for the celebrations. And Gordon is wondering why he and his New Labour shower are so unpopular?

I think consumers should all switch providers EVERY month to bring chaos to the energy industry.

Edited by Realistbear

Funny how non of the main players never saw the up and coming problems that Eric talkes about which surfaced in 2003

Yes Sirree!!!

Ha Ha!! Make those banksters watch this video EVERY NIGHT -- That'll have'm quaking in their beds!! :D:D

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...75&hl=en-GB

And this one too! - http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/video/?&...270508_0900.flv

Edited by eric pebble

I think this would be a little more correct if you added the words "mentioned publicly that they" after the word "never".

I think the technical term for it is:The scooby-doo moment

You know the bit at the end of the cartoon where the mask gets pulled off of the criminal,and The bogeyman was Mr Jones the janitor all along....those pesky darned kids.

HPC have been for many adventures in the mystery machine,what are us pesky armchair economists going to unveil next??

Good analogy, except that in Scooby Doo the ghosts were always a ruse to scare off people because the house was built over a gold mine or an oil well.

In the case of the British economy, the house is more likely built on an old Indian burial ground, like in 'Amityville'. :(

Wasn't it the Land Registry report out this week that showed the average house was only getting abotu 90% of its asking price so... do you take 8% off the asking price and then a further 10% to get to the price you should offer now if you were so silly as to buy a house now in a falling market.

Are we really talking about 18% off prices?

Don't forget to factor in inflation too. Even if you use official RPI that's something like another 4.6% loss to consider (can't be bothered to look the proper figure up as it's a made up number designed to under-estimate the real level of inflation).

Yes, what a savvy investment property has turned out to be :lol:

i was watching the c4 report and got the understanding that the banks thought a disaster would be -25% over two years.

well i feel its going to be far far worse than that. up to 60% by the end of play in 09-10.

how bad will the profits be then ?

at the moment neg equity loans are 30% of the HBOS loan book.

they only just survived the us sub prime, but now will be hit with the uks sub prime.

which is every bit as bad.

i was watching the c4 report and got the understanding that the banks thought a disaster would be -25% over two years.

well i feel its going to be far far worse than that. up to 60% by the end of play in 09-10.

how bad will the profits be then ?

at the moment neg equity loans are 30% of the HBOS loan book.

they only just survived the us sub prime, but now will be hit with the uks sub prime.

which is every bit as bad.

Yeh, and that is before they factor in the car loans, credit cards and unscured loans. The banks are toast.

They won't need regulating after this. They'll be too scared to lend but anyone, assuming any of the current lot are left standing that is.

Yeh, and that is before they factor in the car loans, credit cards and unscured loans. The banks are toast.

They won't need regulating after this. They'll be too scared to lend but anyone, assuming any of the current lot are left standing that is.

yeah. the share prices have been rising today as they think that its controllable, and thats mostly based on these -25% figures.

which means they can handle this kind of drop. so they are all throwing hats in the air saying Hurrah !! were saved.

you have to ask what kind of place would it be with only -25% drops.

no chance.

-25% just about covers the froth and would require ftbs and btls to just plunge in with silly multiples on falling assets.

thats if they can even get the lending, cost there isnt much available.

then theres inflation and the devaluation of the £. unemployment and debt servicing.,

in my view i look at the options and even -60% would be middle ground.

it could be a collapse. a total collapse.

and where would HBOS be with a 70% drop if 25% almost rolled them over ?

Looks like those poor Buy To Letters (BTL) who bought in the last few years are going to have a rough ride. I love the analogy of the recent BTLs as being "Get Rich Quick" . I think we have had more BEARISH news in the last few months than we had the whole CRASH in the early 90s. Its amazing the power of the Internet getting news as well :lol::lol:

Looks like those poor Buy To Letters (BTL) who bought in the last few years are going to have a rough ride. I love the analogy of the recent BTLs as being "Get Rich Quick" . I think we have had more BEARISH news in the last few months than we had the whole CRASH in the early 90s. Its amazing the power of the Internet getting news as well :lol::lol:

Yup -- the truth is coming out thick and fast now....... :P

yeah. the share prices have been rising today as they think that its controllable, and thats mostly based on these -25% figures.

which means they can handle this kind of drop. so they are all throwing hats in the air saying Hurrah !! were saved.

you have to ask what kind of place would it be with only -25% drops.

no chance.

-25% just about covers the froth and would require ftbs and btls to just plunge in with silly multiples on falling assets.

thats if they can even get the lending, cost there isnt much available.

then theres inflation and the devaluation of the £. unemployment and debt servicing.,

in my view i look at the options and even -60% would be middle ground.

it could be a collapse. a total collapse.

and where would HBOS be with a 70% drop if 25% almost rolled them over ?

It's a bit scary really. Not that I mind seeing a bank go to the wall, after all every other 'industry' we've ever had has gone to the all so why not banking? What worries me is that the Central Bankers and politians all seem to think the big banks are too big to fail. So they'll bail them out with tax payers money.

NO! Let 'em fail! Why should I have to pay for some elses mistakes!! :angry:

Edited by FTBagain