House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

London Accommodation - 6 Months, Mon-fri

I'm looking at taking a contract in London that would mean staying around Westminster from mon-fri for 6 months or so. I'm trying to work out a balance between cost and mental health (;)) so thought I'd ask here for any opinions what sort of thing to look for and where to look.

Options as I see them are:

[1] Bed and breakfast

[2] Cheap scummy hotel

[3] Rent a flat

I've looked at the cost of a season rail ticket from home, and it's not so bad - £730 including all tube and bus, but it would mean 4 hours commuting every day. Ideally, I'd like somewhere with some privacy (too old to house share) for a total cost of < 1k a month. If it was a flat it would need to be furnished. Personally I think B&B would be the best option, but I really don't know where to look.

Any suggestions where to start looking would be very welcome :)

I'm looking at taking a contract in London that would mean staying around Westminster from mon-fri for 6 months or so. I'm trying to work out a balance between cost and mental health (;)) so thought I'd ask here for any opinions what sort of thing to look for and where to look.

[1] Bed and breakfast

[2] Cheap scummy hotel

[3] Rent a flat

I've looked at the cost of a season rail ticket from home, and it's not so bad - £730 including all tube and bus, but it would mean 4 hours commuting every day. Ideally, I'd like somewhere with some privacy (too old to house share) for a total cost of < 1k a month. If it was a flat it would need to be furnished. Personally I think B&B would be the best option, but I really don't know where to look.

Rent a room. If you just need a crash pad - mon-fri only rents are quite reasonable. You could get a single / box room for as little as £60 a week.

Try www.gumtree.co.uk

[1] Bed and breakfast

[2] Cheap scummy hotel

[3] Rent a flat

The commute will kill you.

Also fact in the loss of Life in living away from home for 5 days week, getting home late on a Fri and leaving early on a Monday. I used to do it - working in Lon Mon to Fri and then getting home to Swansea (4 hours) on a Friday night - for a few years and the affect on my health was not noticeable at first but it soon mounted up. Also, the Time passes and you suddenly realise you have wasted years of your life living hundreds of miles away from home whilst others were getting home to their own bed each night and basically living a life.

I do not envy you.

Lodging might be an idea, although it isn't usually much fun.

Shop windows, Loot, Gumtree probably good places to look.

Best way to deal with it is to use the week to get as much sleep & rest so you can make the best of the weekend.

When I lodged in the week I was usually in bed by 10

Best way to deal with it is to use the week to get as much sleep & rest so you can make the best of the weekend.

When I lodged in the week I was usually in bed by 10

Alternatively working long hours Tuesday to Thursday can be a way to leave the office early on Friday to ensure being home at a normal time for the weekend.

A colleague of mine is doing this and he took a B&B for the first few weeks untill he found a decent room in a shared house. Found a couple of good people to live with during the week and negotiated a good rate based on not there at weekends.

Oops, sorry for the complete failure to reply guys - I saw no responses after the first day or two and forgot all about the thread -_-

So, I've decided that if I get offered the contract, I'll try to squeeze enough cash out of it to be able to afford a flat. I can't do renting a room as I really like my privacy, but the points are all taken on board.

Commuting is definitely out, and I appreciate that even with a flat to go back to, there would be a significant impact on quality of life. However, the contract would pay enough to massively increase our house buying fund, and we're agreed that for a 6 month contract, it would be well worth it.

Besides, Mrs. Crash would love the peace and quiet ;)