House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dubsie

Legal Advice

My van went into the repair shop today and I was issued with a hire van for the remainder of the week. Like a fool because I don't have a hands free kit in the hire van I picked up the phone and got stopped by a copper minutes later. The copper was on his own and as far as I could see there was no video recorder in the car, as a result I refused to sign the ticket.

What are the rules on a single police officer issuing a ticket of this kind?

My van went into the repair shop today and I was issued with a hire van for the remainder of the week. Like a fool because I don't have a hands free kit in the hire van I picked up the phone and got stopped by a copper minutes later. The copper was on his own and as far as I could see there was no video recorder in the car, as a result I refused to sign the ticket.

What are the rules on a single police officer issuing a ticket of this kind?

Unfortunately, Dubsie, you should have not have refused to sign the ticket. I am 90% sure that is like refusing blowing in the breatherliser, default to guilty

If it comes down to your word against theirs, the bogies can get the following bits of information from your mobile phone service provider: (i) the geographical location of the phone to within a few square metres, assuming it was switched on at the time, and (ii) whether a call was in progress at the time of the alleged incident. If (i) is consistent with the location of the police car and the answer to (ii) is yes, you're nicked. If you dispute that you were on the phone in the face of that evidence, I'd guess that any magistrate is likely to regard that as a significant aggravating factor.