House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunnered

Salvation For The Wilsons?

From yesterday's Independent: The future commuter: Growth of satellite towns.

November 2007 saw the sparkling new St Pancras International open, creating London's best connected station and finally linking the UK properly to the Continent via a dedicated line. December 2009 will hold even more possibilities for the South-east's commuters when High Speed 1 starts to operate a domestic service on the Eurostar's speedy new tracks.

These slashed journey times put Kent at the heart of a rail renaissance, unlocking areas hitherto considered too far for commuting.

An influx of London wealth feeding Ashford's housing market would push prices much higher than they currently are – just above average – to something rivalling the price tags around fellow county towns such as Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks.

Isn't it in Ashford that our friends the Wilsons have their property empire? Soaring property prices would give them an opportunity to cash in their houses for enormous profits. Let's just hope there isn't a sudden crash in prices. Oh, hold on...

Kent will see recession like everywhere else. And Kent, including Ashford (which a lot of people say is hole) will see a house price crash.

I had to go to Chavford at the weekend. Maybe if I'm really good in this life I won't have to go there again in the next.

The Wilsons are toast. The first newspaper article about their downfall will be the alarm bell for the capitulation phase of this crash.

I had to go to Chavford at the weekend. Maybe if I'm really good in this life I won't have to go there again in the next.

The Wilsons are toast. The first newspaper article about their downfall will be the alarm bell for the capitulation phase of this crash.

but according to maths teachers houseprices always double in price!

Thanks guys. When I read this story I felt a pang of horror at the prospect of the W's being handed a get-out-of-jail-free card. Your derision's made me feel a lot better.

Edited by Scunnered

Guest anorthosite

Don't forget their empire could bring about the most wonderful localised collapse in the country!

but according to maths teachers houseprices always double in price!

Net worth= Hbos hpi*NW hpi(LR price)-rent.

By this method the wilsons calculated Kirsty allsop was telling the truth that house prices never go down.

Their mathematics was perfectly accurate,it was kirsty talking Bullsh1t that made the real-time model not quite go according to plan.

Edited by oracle

I thought that most of the properties in their empire were decrepit old two-up/two-down terraces: not the sort of place that someone who could afford pay however much it costs to travel on this new high speed commuter train would be looking to rent.

Don't forget their empire could bring about the most wonderful localised collapse in the country!

Larger house prices in Ashford are already down. One house on the market gone from £374,995 last year to £299,995 this year. I know they paid £274,995 in 2003 on the other hand 'Wilson type' 2/3 bed new estate homes not doing to bad at present. Crash would affect many of the first time buyers who brought at the same time more though, so I'm not so gleeful about it. Wilsons were getting big discounts on houses they brought off plan, they seemed to be treated like royalty and one friend was even asked to leave the showroom so they could pick the plots first :angry:. They may lose a lot but they had more equity to start with. We are currently renting our house out and the tenant was so glad to find out we were not 'The Wilsons' :lol:

Eurostar coming back as well so that may help save them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7534712.stm

Edited by ashfordmum

Net worth= Hbos hpi*NW hpi(LR price)-rent.

By this method the wilsons calculated Kirsty allsop was telling the truth that house prices never go down.

Their mathematics was perfectly accurate,it was kirsty talking Bullsh1t that made the real-time model not quite go according to plan.

you would think being mathematicians they might have heard of portfolio theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_portfolio_theory

a well diversified portfolio performs better due to balanced risk...

Edited by moosetea

The Wilsons are toast.

I take it that the Wilsons are highly geared.

What happens when their lenders start making margin calls as values fall? They would have absolutely no chance of being able to stump up any cash.

Or are they in the position of owing so much that it is the bank, not them, that has the problem?

Edited by Mr Yogi