House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest worthless_site

British Gas, Bp Taking The Pi$$

Guest barebear

BG raises its prices by a THIRD whilst making a profit of a billion,no one does or sais anything. This once was a public company, proving that privatisation has been against the publics interests. Meanwhile BP makes 8 billion profit,what the hell is going on these companies are holding us to ransome.

Of course the government will make a profit out of both via corporation tax/VAT and continue to tax us rigorously with every tax imaginable. How about a lobby for a rebate off of income tax now they have this extra revenue.

BG raises its prices by a THIRD whilst making a profit of a billion,no one does or sais anything. This once was a public company, proving that privatisation has been against the publics interests. Meanwhile BP makes 8 billion profit,what the hell is going on these companies are holding us to ransome.

Of course the government will make a profit out of both via corporation tax/VAT and continue to tax us rigorously with every tax imaginable. How about a lobby for a rebate off of income tax now they have this extra revenue.

where are the stupid medals kept, we have someone who deserves a few

oh no, the thought of taking a profit to invest in future capacity...

damned them and their productive industries and creative talents, it's just theft I tell you ;) !

Guest barebear
oh no, the thought of taking a profit to invest in future capacity...

damned them and their productive industries and creative talents, it's just theft I tell you ;) !

Oh thats where the profits go is it, exploration for future capacity, not outrageous pay offs for directors. Anyway where is the exploration for BG ?

Oh thats where the profits go is it, exploration for future capacity, not outrageous pay offs for directors. Anyway where is the exploration for BG ?

If they are making excessive cash why dont you open up a gas company and rake it in??

Now you could have come here and said that the gas companies are a virtual monopoly and are probably colluding together and a good old investigation might set them straight.

That isn't unheard of in many industries.

But your reasons for anti big profit are dumb at best.

Everyone always seems to only look at the profits.

For Example, if BG made £1bn but had invested £100bn that is a pi$$ poor return. The money would earn more in the bank for example. So you can't consider one without the other, you have to look at it in terms of return on investment.

BG <> Centrica. BG is apparently loss making.

Centrica, the owner of British Gas, today reported a 17pc fall in first-half profits as the surge in wholesale gas prices hammered its retail business.

Profits, excluding the revaluation of long-term energy contracts, fell to £949m in the six months to June from £1.2bn in the first half of 2007. The group's overall revenues jumped 17pc to £10bn. The company's shares were up about 1pc to 321p in early trading.

Despite pushing up prices to households earlier this year, its British Gas division, which supplies almost 16m of homes and companies across the UK, fell into the red several months ago as gas prices continued to rise.

Which isn't to say I think that private ownership is necessarily a better solution than public, but let's not over-egg the pudding.

Everyone always seems to only look at the profits.

For Example, if BG made £1bn but had invested £100bn that is a pi$$ poor return. The money would earn more in the bank for example. So you can't consider one without the other, you have to look at it in terms of return on investment.

correct

profits alone mean little without looking into the capital they have invested over the years.

cells,thanks for leading the charge

british-cavalry-charge-l.jpg

Must say in a real war I would be one of the last to charge into battle. I know in olden times they used to drug up their own side to get over this fact and hopefully all attacking together would give you a better change.

I wonder if things like that happened in the world wars. Drug your men to remove the fear. Although even if I was high id rather shoot the officer than charge a machine gun with bare foot

Barebear look at this price rise as a positive. It will actually help the HPC cause by keeping interest rates slightly higher for slightly longer and as peoples disposable incomes drop the price of rents/homes will drop too.

As for your own costs, gas is one of those things you can do without. Just don't turn the central heating on at all even in the winter. Sure its cold but another jumper fixes that.

Over the next 5 years you could save £5k just doing this, a nice lump sum towards a house or what ever it is you want.

Guest barebear
If they are making excessive cash why dont you open up a gas company and rake it in??

Passes on the stupid medal to the greater fool !

Passes on the stupid medal to the greater fool !

Do not worry we have plenty of stupid medals you can keep your one ;)

my question was serious, why do you not start your own gas company if it is so profitable?

Guest barebear
Do not worry we have plenty of stupid medals you can keep your one ;)

my question was serious, why do you not start your own gas company if it is so profitable?

And you really want an answer to that ?

Privatisation of infrastructure industries, water, gas, etc, is indeed, against public interest!

Rather like the Nationalisation of British Leyland, was rubbish too, although it was done to keep jobs going,

if you remember those cars, they were usually crap!

"Nationalisation", and "Privatisation", were the mantras of their day!

Now the Labour party, have endorsed the free market, they will eventually come to realise, it is beyond their control.

These are now private companies, and will charge what the market will bear for their product, for the

benefit of their shareholders! That's what Capitalism is all about!

A "windfall tax" is total lunacy, as we all will end up paying it!

Taxing a utility company is futile! It's like the Medieval practice of trying animals for murder! :blink:

Guest barebear
Taxing a utility company is futile! It's like the Medieval practice of trying animals for murder! :blink:

So neither statement is true !

First Ive heard of animals being tryed for murder.

Just try generating your own electricity and selling it the National Grid. Unsurprisingly, there are a host of 'regulations' stopping you from doing that in your own home. Of course, nothing to do with preventing any competition to the cosy cartels that run Britain's electricity,gas and water companies. I happen to know one or two people with family members working for one of the water utilities in the south of England. They tell me this corporation have invested virtually nothing in the infrastructure since privatization, fired all the maintenance teams and run their systems on a fix on fail basis.

If you look at the history of Britain's energy industry going back to the 19th century much of the investment in the infrastructure that we still use every day came from public subscriptions, local town councils and latterly the state.

While governments may like to turn a deaf ear to the grumblings of domestic consumers about these price hikes they are going to find it harder to ignore the growing complaints coming the from the rest of British industry which is also being clobbered.

Edited by up2nogood

Adding a windfall tax is pointless, we just end up paying an extra bloody tax.

Services like this shouldn't be privatised. Any profits made should be pumped back in by default, not at the wim of a company. Right now the shareholders of the company are taking in some of that profit.

It's obvious there is no competition, they all follow each other within a few weeks of someone making a move. How come none of them have hedged any gas a few years in advance?

Guest barebear
Just try generating your own electricity and selling it the National Grid. Unsurprisingly, there are a host of 'regulations' stopping you from doing that in your own home. Of course, nothing to do with preventing any competition to the cosy cartels that run Britain's electricity,gas and water companies. I happen to know one or two people with family member working for one of the water utilities in the south of England. They tell me this corporation have invested virtually nothing in the infrastructure since privatization, fired all the maintenance teams and run their systems on a fix on fail basis.

If you look at the history of Britain's energy infrastructure going back to the 19th century much of the investment in the infrastructure that we still use every day came from public subscriptions, local town councils and latterly the state.

At last a reasonable response.

I would ask the disenters of this thread, would they mind paying any amount for their fuel,forget a third rise what about a double or triple rise,when would they say enoughs enough and stop believing the excuses.

A third rise by BG is nothing short of criminal. Whilst BP and the other petrol companies rake in monsterous profits at our expense.

Edited by barebear

Barebear look at this price rise as a positive. It will actually help the HPC cause by keeping interest rates slightly higher for slightly longer and as peoples disposable incomes drop the price of rents/homes will drop too.

As for your own costs, gas is one of those things you can do without. Just don't turn the central heating on at all even in the winter. Sure its cold but another jumper fixes that.

Over the next 5 years you could save £5k just doing this, a nice lump sum towards a house or what ever it is you want.

These here jumpers you talk about. Do they cook the dinner and heat up t'water as well? ;)

I would ask the disenters of this thread, would they mind paying any amount for their fuel,forget a third rise what about a double triplerise,when would they say enoughs enough and stop believing the excuses.

A third rise by BG is nothing short of criminal. Whilst BP and the other petrol companies rake in monsterous profits at our expense.

Buy one of these

http://www.kellykettle.com/

cook dinner on twigs and pine cones

I would ask the disenters of this thread, would they mind paying any amount for their fuel,forget a third rise what about a double or triple rise,when would they say enoughs enough and stop believing the excuses.

I have to confess that I know more about the rip offs in the water industry (essentially all local monopolies) than the energy sector. The water company I mentioned did actually shell out on one upgrading its sewage works with ultra violet treatment facilities. However, the facility is only ever turned on when big wigs from the government or OFWAT turn up. The moment they disappear out the door it is switched off in order to save money and the company return to pumping raw effluent out to sea. It really little more than a racket. The business has been through the hands of multiple owners since privatisation each of whom has essentially stripped more and more value out of the enterprise.

Why is everyone so keen to knock a successful UK company? They are a leading player in a market selling a product which keeps on getting more and more valuable. Of course they are profitable. BP too.

If people want to castigate them, then maybe complain that they aren't making even bigger profit. What kind of management can only make £1bn when selling something as pricey as gas, for goodness sake, the stuff comes out of the ground for free almost. Selling something which, per kilo, must cost more than fine olive oil? They ought to be making 10s of billions at least. Come on BG pull your finger out.

Still the get everyone to sign up at today's price ruse is pretty clever, BG shareholders will be laughing in a couple of years if gas wholesale prices fall.

I have to confess that I know more about the rip offs in the water industry (essentially all local monopolies) than the energy sector. The water company I mentioned did actually shell out on one upgrading its sewage works with ultra violet treatment facilities. However, the facility is only ever turned on when big wigs from the government or OFWAT turn up. The moment they disappear out the door it is switched off in order to save money and the company return to pumping raw effluent out to sea. It really little more than a racket. The business has been through the hands of multiple owners since privatisation each of whom has essentially stripped more and more value out of the enterprise.

I work in the IT industry, which is not short of its own dodgy practices, but even we do not try to run peoples systems on 50-100 year old kit.