House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
VedantaTrader

We Are On Bloomberg...

Thought the headline was genius though.

What did people expect anyway, that those crazy prices were somehow sustainable?

Interestiong that they mention removals. I've just arranged to have a removals company for my upcoming move. 3 bed house moved 200 miles for just shy of £500. They pestered me for weeks after I first got the guote and gave me a £100 discount. That's seriously good value IMO, they must be feeling the pain bigtime.

As I've said before, I think that the NI HPI and HPC will end up in Economics textbooks as a case study.

They went up almost 60% in one year for goodness sake; absolute madness.

I have heard comments like this before and I cannot argue. We went through the troubles - most people survived fine on a sensible standard of living, those who worked hard, got somewhere and we got on with things. Since the troubles have ended, we have had ever increasing wealth which has been almost totally decoupled from employment and people no longer believe it is their right to have food and shelter, many think it is their right to have new cars, international holidays, plasma TV - all still without having to do anything!

many think it is their right to have new cars, international holidays, plasma TV - all still without having to do anything!

Yes, fuelled by HPI. Money used to come out of thin air for a few years.

Interestiong that they mention removals. I've just arranged to have a removals company for my upcoming move. 3 bed house moved 200 miles for just shy of £500. They pestered me for weeks after I first got the guote and gave me a £100 discount. That's seriously good value IMO, they must be feeling the pain bigtime.

All the same, I'd like to go round to Jim Kingham's house and kick his backside. Seems nobody he knew got murdered. And the blaggard mouths off to the Americans. Bye bye Jim - hope you saved your pennies during the "good times".

All the same, I'd like to go round to Jim Kingham's house and kick his backside. Seems nobody he knew got murdered. And the blaggard mouths off to the Americans. Bye bye Jim - hope you saved your pennies during the "good times".

I too was pretty disgusted by his comparison to the good old times of bombs and bullets. Schadenfraude

You've probably completely misunderstood what he said. He probably is just trying to illustrate as vividly as he can that despite the troubles they still managed to run the business and that although readers might have expected the economic environment to be immeasurably better today its not. In fact its a lot worse.

Its a short article and I think it does a good job of showing how mucked up things are in the housing market at the moment. Thats all.

Edited by edwardbear

You've probably completely misunderstood what he said. He probably is just trying to illustrate as vividly as he can that despite the troubles they still managed to run the business and that although readers might have expected the economic environment to be immeasurably better today its not. In fact its a lot worse.

Its a short article and I think it does a good job of showing how mucked up things are in the housing market at the moment. Thats all.

.... and he might have been misquoted, I suppose. I gave a statement to the Iishr Ewens one time and didn't recognise it when it got printed.

I think you are right.

The article concerns me a great deal, we are just at the start of this financial crisis and things are already looking really bad. How long before cracks in our fragile peace process begin to show? If we end of with a severe recession or worse then I fear the trouble will start again.

Edited by YoungFTB

If we end of with a severe recession or worse then I fear the trouble will start again.

IMO This fagile peace may only have been due to the house building boom. There was alot of money in blowing up town centers then rebuilding them. I sincerely hope the troubles are history. However, I will not be surprised at all if the troubles start again, due to economic rather than political reasons. If it does, then expect house prices to return to mid 90's levels.

I do not subscribe to the idea that the troubles would be re-ignited. For starters, it involves effort. The bombings and organised mayhem were not carried out by the masses but by a dedicated few. If anyone will have come through the housing 'troubles', I suspect it will be them. The problems I envisage would be the less organised masses who may be more inclined towards heading out onto the streets at each opportunity. Can't afford to go on summer holidays - lets head back to Drumcree, logic like that. All IMHO of course.

``There is a risk that the property prices will slip a bit more,'' says Alan Bridle,

A bit?... :huh::lol::lol:

Erm .... would that be slip as in "fall off a cliff"? in which case yes I agree there is a risk that property prices will slip a bit more. :lol:

Erm .... would that be slip as in "fall off a cliff"? in which case yes I agree there is a risk that property prices will slip a bit more. :lol:

Any idea when the next UU/BOI quarterly report comes out ?

Any idea when the next UU/BOI quarterly report comes out ?

If I was a guessing man I'd say around Wed 20th Aug. The last 1/4erly report came out around 21st May '08 so August's issue should be due around 20th or 21st if previous timescales hold true.

Edited by paul65

If I was a guessing man I'd say around Wed 20th Aug. The last 1/4erly report came out around 21st May '08 so August's issue should be due around 20th or 21st if previous timescales hold true.

Looking forward to it , i wonder if the graph will defy the laws of physics again ?

i'm sure i heard a BBC report that the flat housing market could get flatter :lol: , but i've never been able to find it on iplayer , could have been a happy dream .

... another 30% below where the current rock bottom prices are ;)

won't be too many of the current developers in business this time next year then , or even next week :lol::lol:

.... and he might have been misquoted, I suppose. I gave a statement to the Iishr Ewens one time and didn't recognise it when it got printed.

:blink:

Actually my tea leaves were wrong this time round. The next 1/4erly House Price Index will be hitting t'internet on Wednesday of this week (6th August 2008).

Can't wait!

Actually my tea leaves were wrong this time round. The next 1/4erly House Price Index will be hitting t'internet on Wednesday of this week (6th August 2008).

Can't wait!

Maybe it's such good news they could'nt wait to share it ;)

Can't wait!

It's here bang on time! (well press release at least). PDF of the full report not available just. That will feed through in the next few days I'd imagine.