House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alwightchav!

Printer Ink

I am about to embark on a course of study and will need to print out mountains of paperwork (99% black/white).

So any ideas on a printer to purchase?

And more importantly cheap inks?

Sorry i know this isn't MSE but i just wanted a knowledgable, clued-up response.

Cheers. :rolleyes:

I am about to embark on a course of study and will need to print out mountains of paperwork (99% black/white).

So any ideas on a printer to purchase?

And more importantly cheap inks?

Sorry i know this isn't MSE but i just wanted a knowledgable, clued-up response.

Cheers. :rolleyes:

You possibly need to go the route of a laser but make sure you are getting value for money because not all lasers are unnecessarily cheaper per page. I have a Brother multi laser and think it is great - scanner is better than my Canon LIDE which I sold recently and the print is second to non for important stuff. Everything else gets printed in draft and that is still as good as an inkjet in 'normal' mode!

You possibly need to go the route of a laser but make sure you are getting value for money because not all lasers are unnecessarily cheaper per page. I have a Brother multi laser and think it is great - scanner is better than my Canon LIDE which I sold recently and the print is second to non for important stuff. Everything else gets printed in draft and that is still as good as an inkjet in 'normal' mode!

Cheers for the reply.

Yes, i was thinking pound per pound a laser printer would be generally more economical, but i really want to be able to buy the cheapest inks possible as this is where i would save the most money in the long term.

For volume printing, a laser would be mostr cost effective. Companies like HP do business inkjets with large black ink tanks that are more cost effective, but a laser will beat it for speed.

The cost per page will need to factor in the following:

• Cost of printer
  • Cost of replacement toner
  • Cost of replacement drum unit (if separate from toner)

Most people forget about the drum unit. I run a Brother HL-5050 (nearly 5 years old) and a new drum unit will last me about a year (20,000) pages and cost around £100.

There are printers where the drum and the toner are 1 unit, it varies with different models/makes.

According to PC Pro

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/110661/brother-hl5240.html

their A-list laser offers a cost per page of 0.7p, which is pretty good.

There are printers where the drum and the toner are 1 unit, it varies with different models/makes.

I noticed an ad for HP printers in an airline in-flight glossy mag a few weeks back, which proudly claimed that 70% of the technology in the printer was in the toner cartridge, so you 'got' a new printer every time you replaced the cartridge. What it neglected to mention was that this also forced you to pay for 70% of a new printer, too, regardless of whether you actually needed it.

Taking the Gillette principle a bit too far, IMHO...