House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andrewb

Advice About Getting Deposit Back From Landlord

Hi,

I've been living in a shared house for a few years, but we recently all decided it was time to move on, and so we've all moved elsewhere. We met up with our landlord (who we've had no problems with at all) last weekend to look round the old house to make sure we'd left it OK.

The landlord found one small bit of damage to the oven, which was there when we moved in, and although the landlord disagreed with us on this point, they said that because we'd been good tenants, they'd let it go and give us back our full deposit. However, they said they were going to keep the deposit for now until they could verify that we'd paid all the bills on the house. We thought this was fair enough, shook hands, and went our seperate ways.

A few days later I got a phone call from the landlord saying that they'd just noticed that the toilet bowl was cracked, and they wanted us to come round and look at it (which we've agreed to do tonight). I'm pretty certain that when we moved out, the bowl wasn't cracked, and am now worried that they're going to try and keep some of our deposit.

What's the situation here? Can they go back on our agreement, which was unfortunately only verbal, to give us back the full deposit? Are they allowed to get in touch with us sometime after they've checked the house to say they've found more damage? If there is damage and it has happened after we moved out, what's the best way of arguing the damage had nothing to do with us?

Thanks

Hi,

I've been living in a shared house for a few years, but we recently all decided it was time to move on, and so we've all moved elsewhere. We met up with our landlord (who we've had no problems with at all) last weekend to look round the old house to make sure we'd left it OK.

The landlord found one small bit of damage to the oven, which was there when we moved in, and although the landlord disagreed with us on this point, they said that because we'd been good tenants, they'd let it go and give us back our full deposit. However, they said they were going to keep the deposit for now until they could verify that we'd paid all the bills on the house. We thought this was fair enough, shook hands, and went our seperate ways.

A few days later I got a phone call from the landlord saying that they'd just noticed that the toilet bowl was cracked, and they wanted us to come round and look at it (which we've agreed to do tonight). I'm pretty certain that when we moved out, the bowl wasn't cracked, and am now worried that they're going to try and keep some of our deposit.

What's the situation here? Can they go back on our agreement, which was unfortunately only verbal, to give us back the full deposit? Are they allowed to get in touch with us sometime after they've checked the house to say they've found more damage? If there is damage and it has happened after we moved out, what's the best way of arguing the damage had nothing to do with us?

Thanks

Unless there is an accurate record of condition that you agreed to, the LL has not got a leg to stand on, the OFT and (hence the courts) will not accept the LL's decision as final it needs proof

Ask the LL for conclusive prove that the toilet was not cracked when you moved in, he he can not provide it remind him that he doesn't have a case and ask for the money back. Once the billed are paid send a letter stating he has two weeks to pay or you will take court action, if he doesn't simple fill in the forms for the small claims court send your £50 and see him in court... that easy

I think it might also be useful for you to know that the bills are nothing to do with the landlord. It is the tenants responsiblity to pay any bills up until he left, but the landlord or any future tenants are not liable for anything unpaid so you should have told him you had settled the bills and will take your money back immediately.

Thanks for all the advice. We had a very strange meeting with the landlord - what they considered to be a crack in the toilet bowl was just the edge of a small discoloured area. After about 15 minutes of discussing it, we agreed to disagree.

However, the landlord made no suggestion at any point that they were considering keeping some of our deposit, and we explicitly confirmed with them that the situation was as it was before - that we'd get the full deposit back when they were happy we didn't owe anybody any money for gas/electricity etc. (we thought it best not to bring up the point in the above post!)

So I don't quite understand why he wanted us to come back to the old house in the first place!

Thanks for all the advice. We had a very strange meeting with the landlord - what they considered to be a crack in the toilet bowl was just the edge of a small discoloured area. After about 15 minutes of discussing it, we agreed to disagree.

However, the landlord made no suggestion at any point that they were considering keeping some of our deposit, and we explicitly confirmed with them that the situation was as it was before - that we'd get the full deposit back when they were happy we didn't owe anybody any money for gas/electricity etc. (we thought it best not to bring up the point in the above post!)

So I don't quite understand why he wanted us to come back to the old house in the first place!

Maybe he fancies one of you? ;)

I think it might also be useful for you to know that the bills are nothing to do with the landlord. It is the tenants responsiblity to pay any bills up until he left, but the landlord or any future tenants are not liable for anything unpaid so you should have told him you had settled the bills and will take your money back immediately.

The renters are doing the LL a huge favour in paying THEIR council tax.....

LL should pay all the council tax, not tenants.

Renters unite!!!

The renters are doing the LL a huge favour in paying THEIR council tax.....

LL should pay all the council tax, not tenants.

Renters unite!!!

Now why on earth would the occupant residing in the house not pay the council tax?? that’s a bit of a silly thing to say bob. Do you have any understanding of what council tax is for?

If renters unite like your new overly loud banner suggests

then landlords unite

there will be no more renters and no more landlords period.

and then you bob will need to change your nick.

Now why on earth would the occupant residing in the house not pay the council tax?? that’s a bit of a silly thing to say bob. Do you have any understanding of what council tax is for?

If renters unite like your new overly loud banner suggests

then landlords unite

there will be no more renters and no more landlords period.

and then you bob will need to change your nick.

If a tenant moves, they do not pay council tax.

That is really simple, even for you DR.

What this means, is we get rid of scummy LL and we rent elsewhere.

Of course, we could always squat. Just like renting, but without the bills.

Great!

Actually it is not silly, a renter SHOULD NOT PAY THE LL COUNCIL TAX.

That should be law.

We renters should email our MPs on this one, if enough do it, have no doubt, it wil become law.

Edited by renterbob

Council tax is to pay for council services - why shouldn't a renter pay for these? If the landlord had to pay them, what do you think they would do - add them to the rent of course!

I've spent 11 years renting and you are giving renters a bad image bob. Are you doing it on purpose to discredit us?

Council tax is to pay for council services - why shouldn't a renter pay for these? If the landlord had to pay them, what do you think they would do - add them to the rent of course!

I've spent 11 years renting and you are giving renters a bad image bob. Are you doing it on purpose to discredit us?

No I am not trying to discredit renters CBW.

The LL has an asset, they are not social LL, they are there for a profit etc, so, IMO, the LL should pay for council tax.

The mess we are in, and the VERY hard time renters have had for the last 7 years or so is no joke to me by any measure, and IMO the amateur LL have profited for this for years at renters expense.

Expect to see many more people living in their cars, as councils will not have enough properties to keep all those repo'd, including the renters kicked out because of their LL going broke due to mewing up to the hilt.

No I am not trying to discredit renters CBW.

The LL has an asset, they are not social LL, they are there for a profit etc, so, IMO, the LL should pay for council tax.

The mess we are in, and the VERY hard time renters have had for the last 7 years or so is no joke to me by any measure, and IMO the amateur LL have profited for this for years at renters expense.

Expect to see many more people living in their cars, as councils will not have enough properties to keep all those repo'd, including the renters kicked out because of their LL going broke due to mewing up to the hilt.

The council tax doesn't pay for the house though - it pays for the council services used by the people living in the house.

The fact that the council tax is stupid (i.e. ability to pay based on the "value" of the house) is a different argument altogether.

The council tax doesn't pay for the house though - it pays for the council services used by the people living in the house.

The fact that the council tax is stupid (i.e. ability to pay based on the "value" of the house) is a different argument altogether.

I agree re council tax for council services.

However, if LL wants tenants in this renters market, to pay council tax could be a real winner ie no voids for LLs, lower outgoings for renters.

I agree re council tax for council services.

However, if LL wants tenants in this renters market, to pay council tax could be a real winner ie no voids for LLs, lower outgoings for renters.

Then someone had better tell the council so that they can change the law to facilitate this ...

... or landlords could just drop their rent and avoid all the bureaucracy.

Then someone had better tell the council so that they can change the law to facilitate this ...

... or landlords could just drop their rent and avoid all the bureaucracy.

Now we're cooking!