House Price Crash Forum
Kurt Barlow

Oh How They Laughed At Mr. Barlow When He Put His Solar Water Heating System In

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7533389.stm

This will add £85 a year to my gas bills at present.

God help the uninsulated, proliferate users of gas :ph34r:

Mods - could you move this to the main forum (please :rolleyes: )- I accidentially posted in the anecdotals.

I think 35% increase on gas bills is pretty major news.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

Guest KingCharles1st
I think 35% increase on gas bills is pretty major news.

Maybe they stuck on 35% so "someone" could take 15% back off again when Parliament reopens in the Autumn, thereby showing how well the economy has been "managed" during the summer recess by a certain individual..

You couldn't make it up.

Maybe they stuck on 35% so "someone" could take 15% back off again when Parliament reopens in the Autumn, thereby showing how well the economy has been "managed" during the summer recess by a certain individual..

You couldn't make it up.

I doubt it - the squeeze on gas will get even tighter in the autumn as Europe gears up for winter. Also further afield there are rumblings in the Ukraine which might disrupt supplies

In a few years we have gone from being self sufficient to having to import 21 bn cubic metres annually. This in energy terms is the equivalent of 27 million tonnes of coal.

Guest KingCharles1st
I doubt it - the squeeze on gas will get even tighter in the autumn as Europe gears up for winter. Also further afield there are rumblings in the Ukraine which might disrupt supplies

In a few years we have gone from being self sufficient to having to import 21 bn cubic metres annually. This in energy terms is the equivalent of 27 million tonnes of coal.

Yeah- shame for Gordon he's droping all the balls at once- I thought Clowns were supposed to be good jugglers.

Yeah- shame for Gordon he's droping all the balls at once- I thought Clowns were supposed to be good jugglers.

I dont suppose there is much he could of done to prevent the recent spike in prices.

What Brown and his troop of Clowns are responsible for is the vulnerability we now face. In the last 12 years they could of:

Kept the Nuc programme going with a new commissioning every 5 years or so

Made builders insulate buildings properly - not the German standards from 1970

etc etc etc

Guest KingCharles1st

But imagine how exposed they are going to be now with regard to inflation figures. They can either still say its 2%, and get lambasted, OR, start quoting the TRUE RATE and then say is "all because of the energy bills."

But imagine how exposed they are going to be now with regard to inflation figures. They can either still say its 2%, and get lambasted, OR, start quoting the TRUE RATE and then say is "all because of the energy bills."

Inflation or not I have just purchased another solar panel (which will cut a further 18% off my gas demand), a kelly kettle and wood camping stove for emergencies - which are getting more likely by the day. :ph34r:

For around 3 decades up to approx 2004 UK was self sufficient in gas. Gas output in UK N Sea is in steep decline hence imports accounted for 27% of gas supply by winter 2007 and will be around 42% next winter. By 2020 they will be 90%....assuming UK can afford them! Despite these telling statistics local authorities backed by residents continue to refuse planning permission for gas storage facilities and, as a result, UK only has 13 days' consumption in storage thus placing UK gas supplies at mercy of spot market. Those church jumble sales will have lots of takers for 2nd hand jumpers!

For around 3 decades up to approx 2004 UK was self sufficient in gas. Gas output in UK N Sea is in steep decline hence imports accounted for 27% of gas supply by winter 2007 and will be around 42% next winter. By 2020 they will be 90%....assuming UK can afford them! Despite these telling statistics local authorities backed by residents continue to refuse planning permission for gas storage facilities and, as a result, UK only has 13 days' consumption in storage thus placing UK gas supplies at mercy of spot market. Those church jumble sales will have lots of takers for 2nd hand jumpers!

Following todays announcement I am now looking at ways of getting my house to as near as to passive standard as possible. Done all the insulation I can so am now looking at secondary glazing to effectively triple glaze my windows.

Thought about a wood stove but decided against it - with flue too expensive and reliant on a fuel that will no doubt be in short supply in a few years.

Just bought a kelly kettle and a camping stove that runs on wood - for emergency cooking. Also experimenting with using solar vacuum tubes for cooking.

Inflation or not I have just purchased another solar panel (which will cut a further 18% off my gas demand), a kelly kettle and wood camping stove for emergencies - which are getting more likely by the day. :ph34r:

Cant you just get your son to bung you unlimited cash for fuel to heat your home? I thought Take That made a mint recently with their comeback tours and albums?

:lol:

M

This has already been anecdotalised and without turning it into a(nother) survivalist thread,

Kurt,

Do you have any practical advice for, say, living in a flat?

regarding energy efficencies or any practical alternatives for every day use.

Buy a flat in an eco-friendly development. ;)

My mum did, and I have to admit the developer didn't lie, its damn energy efficient. Place has solar power, recycles the rainwater, insulated to death, all appliances max efficiency rating, and more.

On the down side she bought about 18 months ago (insisted on move following bereavement) and although cheaper off-plan the place was pricier (but a lot nicer) than local non-eco flats.

On the plus side she's only moving out in a box, and good for a few years yet so there's a chance the down side will not matter.

This has already been anecdotalised and without turning it into a(nother) survivalist thread,

Kurt,

Do you have any practical advice for, say, living in a flat?

regarding energy efficencies or any practical alternatives for every day use.

Flats are always more difficult but there are several measures that can be considered - assuming you are the lease holder.

If you have got electric heating - consider an air source heat pump which can allow you to get upto 3 units of heat for every 1 unit of electric - and when you need it. If you are using 5000 kwh to heat your flat - this will cost about £550 if using peak rate. A heat pump will cut this by two thirds. There are quite a few HP's on the market now that are suitable for DIY

Compact fluorescent or LED bulbs a good way of saving electricity.

Roller blinds or thermal shutters good for retaining heat and security if thats an issue.

Internal wall insulation a possibility if the building is solid wall.

Add extra insulation to refrigerators - double sided foil bubble wrap good for this job.

Cant you just get your son to bung you unlimited cash for fuel to heat your home? I thought Take That made a mint recently with their comeback tours and albums?

:lol:

M

Wrong Barlows Mark

I shall ask my Dad Ken for the cash ;)

Flats are always more difficult but there are several measures that can be considered - assuming you are the lease holder.

If you have got electric heating - consider an air source heat pump which can allow you to get upto 3 units of heat for every 1 unit of electric - and when you need it. If you are using 5000 kwh to heat your flat - this will cost about £550 if using peak rate. A heat pump will cut this by two thirds. There are quite a few HP's on the market now that are suitable for DIY

Roller blinds or thermal shutters good for retaining heat and security if thats an issue.

Add extra insulation to refrigerators - double sided foil bubble wrap good for this job.

Thanks but I think I'm fubared on most of those points - I can't see us ever getting a return on an investment in a heat pump.

If you live in a flat your best hope is to have people around you that leave there heating on. My GF who lives in 55 degrees north in Newcastle doesn't even need to turn the heating on, didn't for the whole of last winter. And thats not through frugality as she isn't paying the elec. bill. It was comfortable to walk around in a T shirt when outside was below 0.

Felt very smug at the news this morning - house we complete on tomorrow doesn't have gas, heating is via a woodburning stove & a solid fuel Rayburn. I asked the vendor where she bought her wood and she looked blankly at me for a moment then said she hadn't bought wood for several years - local builders drop off their wood in the driveway after gutting houses as it saves them the cost of disposing of it!

Edited by cartimandua51

Felt very smug at the news this morning - house we complete on tomorrow doesn't have gas, heating is via a woodburning stove & a solid fuel Rayburn. I asked the vendor where she bought her wood and she looked blankly at me for a moment then said she hadn't bought wood for several years - local builders drop off their wood in the driveway after gutting houses as it saves them the cost of disposing of it!

Perhaps the quantity of wood left on your drive way will be a barometer of local housing related activity ;)

Perhaps the quantity of wood left on your drive way will be a barometer of local housing related activity ;)

Yes, I wondered about that. Still, sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof - she said the quantity already there should get us through next winter, so we're that much ahead of the game.

Flats! Live upstairs, and the people below pay for half your heating!

Compact Fluorescents are OK! Will save you a bit for a small outlay! Not as

good as they are touted though! Watch out for ones with poor "Power Factor". It's never quoted on the box,

and it means you are possibly getting charged for electricity which is wasted in the cable, or maybe you are not charged for it,

but the electricity companies still have to make it, just to be wasted in the cable.

Some of the rubbish ones have a power factor of only 0.3! That's Very Bad!

I'm an Electrical Engineer, and I think about this stuff. I don't think the "public" are told much sometimes.

Here's an article.....

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cp/lig3_e.html

Anyway, the ordinary electric light bulb, not so bad in Winter, like an old oil-lamp, but on a cold day,

you will appreciate 90% of the energy creating heat!

Big curtains work well in Winter!

So do big duvets, and warm partners! :rolleyes:

Following todays announcement I am now looking at ways of getting my house to as near as to passive standard as possible. Done all the insulation I can so am now looking at secondary glazing to effectively triple glaze my windows.

Thought about a wood stove but decided against it - with flue too expensive and reliant on a fuel that will no doubt be in short supply in a few years.

Just bought a kelly kettle and a camping stove that runs on wood - for emergency cooking. Also experimenting with using solar vacuum tubes for cooking.

I've just had solar water installed - hardly had the gas boiler or immersion on at all this last 2 weeks!

I've also insulated the loft to the max, and draught proofed every opening (in the house that it).

It is futile expecting this govt to do anything to help the enrgy situation - they are starting to do stuff now (in their usual half baked way) that they should havestarted 5 - 8 years ago.

what about those electric bed heating things. use them and no need to heat the home at night. should also be low power. i assume some 500 watts at most which would be about 50p a night and no need on warmer days.

other than that you dont really need to heat your home at all in this country, very mild weather.

what about those electric bed heating things. use them and no need to heat the home at night. should also be low power. i assume some 500 watts at most which would be about 50p a night and no need on warmer days.

other than that you dont really need to heat your home at all in this country, very mild weather.

I see you are going to adopt the kiwi model, electric blankets and heat the room you are in, not the whole house. Takes a bit of getting used to but it will make the old timers reminisce of days gone by.

Our last electric bill was zero. oh....that's probably because we don't have any mains electric.

Our last gas bill was zero. Oh....that's probably because we don't have any mains gas either.

Our last water bill was zero.....nah, actually it costs us about 50€ a month in water because we irrigate three acres of fruit trees.

Our last council tax bill was about 20€ for the year.

Our electric is provided by solar panels. Backup generator is on very occasionally to top up the solar batteries.

We have a solar cooker that can cook pretty much anything. Takes about twice as long though.

We have a wood burner for heating. That uses wood. Available locally. Only need it for two or three months a year.

Oh, did I mention that I live in the south of Spain?

The UK has some great things going for it, although I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I pity anyone still living in the Uk at the moment and I think the latest price rises are outragous.