House Price Crash Forum

Welcome is a film about illegal immigrates in Calais who are trying to cross the channel to go to the UK

Its also about a law that exists in France where it is illegal to help them thats why the Red Cross ran Sangatte

BTW he drowns in the channel watch the trailor

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know of a french savings account with a good interest rate? We're moving there mid 2012 and are struggling to find any reasonable deals.

Cheers in advance.

Cozza

How much do you want?

it is all regulated, there is virtually zero competition. You can get around 2.5% on a livret A, some banks like Credit Mute are offering teaser deals of 4.5% but only for the first three months, likewise ING offer some intro rates but they all come back to the 2-2.5% mark. I'm currently getting 4.5% on an old PEL but that comes to and end soon.

The frensh are gluttons for life assurance although there is some exposure of these products to Greek and other sovereign debt.

As for the house price drop, check out the friggit tunnel. I would expect somewhere like Paris would need a 50% correction, probably more.

friggit-decembre-2011-paris-province.png

Edited by davidg
  • 2 weeks later...

With the graph above and the following link it could become a very interesting time in the French property market. Let alone the recent downgrade. Any Ex pats looking to sell now will be in real trouble - declining porperty prices (we have evidence here in the Dordogne that prices are and have dropped by 40 %) and the value of the Euro now potentially crashing ........... He who has cash is now King.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8960332/Graphic-How-exchange-rates-could-collapse-after-a-Euro-break-up.html

Sterling at 1.6 !!! or 62 pence

Cheers for the replies.

Have just signed up for two Livret A accounts and will look around for good savers when we get over there (there being just outside of Rennes). We'll probably keep 1/3 in sterling and some in gold as a hedge against a euro collapse.

Cheers for the replies.

Have just signed up for two Livret A accounts and will look around for good savers when we get over there (there being just outside of Rennes). We'll probably keep 1/3 in sterling and some in gold as a hedge against a euro collapse.

http://www.francetransactions.com/

Cozza

Check out this link its called Francetransactions

This is an independant web site that will give you all the info that you will need when it comes to saving etc in France

Expect to recieve just over 340 euros for a full Livert A

With the graph above and the following link it could become a very interesting time in the French property market. Let alone the recent downgrade. Any Ex pats looking to sell now will be in real trouble - declining porperty prices (we have evidence here in the Dordogne that prices are and have dropped by 40 %) and the value of the Euro now potentially crashing ........... He who has cash is now King.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8960332/Graphic-How-exchange-rates-could-collapse-after-a-Euro-break-up.html

Sterling at 1.6 !!! or 62 pence

Thanks for your graph although the 12,000 Brits living in the Dordogne have in reality a zero impact on the Dordogne property market

Having said that its not only the Ex pats that can't sell its also the French

The lose of the triple A also means rising interest rates on average today at 4,30% maybe rising to 4,80% by June

I will post a French article about the British in the Dordogne ASAP

Maison a Vendre

Tonight at 20.45 pm and its in Nimes the South

Sea, sex and unemployment with the second lowest A level results in France (after Calais with its 15% unemployment rate the highest in France)

Anyway

Amédée and Marylin want to sell there house built by there own hands 30 years ago

Big problem they cannot find anybody who wants to buy there house

Why ?

Answer The last time that they decorated there home was when they built it 30 years ago!

Get the drinks in this is going to be funny there kids have grown up and left home

I am sure that they want an insane price for there property

House for sale last wednesday in Nimes

Amédeé and Marylin two retired French Civil Servants

Asking price 300K no visits

Steph turns up wearing a warm jacket although the retired couple were dressed up in shorts and tee-shirts (afterall its always hot in the south) even though the prog was made last november

The entire family were there to greet him

There children with there kids running around

What a dump

Purple walls and the excessive use of the colour 'brown'

Brown doors a brown kitchen,brown tiles

I liked the wc that was behind the shower but it was separated by a curtain

Steph noticed that the size of the house was a lot smaller than what it was advertised

Dear me cheating on the total surface

They spent 5K trying to make it look modern meaning 10K

They dropped there price to 275K

Even though a house just across the road that was in a far better state than theres was sold for 230K

Only two visits after the re-looking

A maybe offer for 250K but they said no

Steph said "Theres a crisis in France today" he just walked away!

Madame was crying here two daughters give her cuddles crocodile tears

IMHO this house built 30years ago was probably worth between 60k to a 100K

At the time it was built using cheap materials it looked like a thermal wreck to me

They wanted 300K to by a flat 45kms away at Aigues Mortes which is far nicer than Nimes but of course it does not cost 300K to buy a flat there

House for sale last wednesday in Nimes

Amédeé and Marylin two retired French Civil Servants

Asking price 300K no visits

Steph turns up wearing a warm jacket although the retired couple were dressed up in shorts and tee-shirts (afterall its always hot in the south) even though the prog was made last november

The entire family were there to greet him

There children with there kids running around

What a dump

Purple walls and the excessive use of the colour 'brown'

Brown doors a brown kitchen,brown tiles

I liked the wc that was behind the shower but it was separated by a curtain

Steph noticed that the size of the house was a lot smaller than what it was advertised

Dear me cheating on the total surface

They spent 5K trying to make it look modern meaning 10K

They dropped there price to 275K

Even though a house just across the road that was in a far better state than theres was sold for 230K

Only two visits after the re-looking

A maybe offer for 250K but they said no

Steph said "Theres a crisis in France today" he just walked away!

Madame was crying here two daughters give her cuddles crocodile tears

IMHO this house built 30years ago was probably worth between 60k to a 100K

At the time it was built using cheap materials it looked like a thermal wreck to me

They wanted 300K to by a flat 45kms away at Aigues Mortes which is far nicer than Nimes but of course it does not cost 300K to buy a flat there

Greed has no frontiers.....

Cheers for the replies.

Credit Foncier are offering 4.25% / annum over a 6 year term

https://www.emprunt-creditfoncier.fr/cff/public/notre-offre-d-epargne.html?siteLanguage=fr

Note that it is rated A by S&P compared to AA+ for the French state.

Edited by davidg

http://www.midilibre.fr/2012/01/20/plus-de-3-000-logements-vacants-a-carcassonne,446367.php

Midi libre 21/1/12

Plus de 3,000 logements vacants a Carcassonne

More than 3,000 homes available in Carcassonne

Three thousand three hundred and twenty four vacant homes in Carcassonne!

Just over 12% of property in the town

The figures published by INSEE (French G'vt Stats Agency) are frightening

'Ghost Residences'

The reasons for this situation?

Lets start with what is called the 'ghost residences' due to the famous 'Robien Law' with there BTL tax-reductions making Carcassonne its champion

They grew like mushrooms first infecting the hamlets of the zone west of the town today its the main centre of this gangrene

Town-Centre

The town-centre with its 856 empty homes is also another problem

First of all they built the 'Robiens' in the suburbs

Then with the 'Malraux Law' meaning that an owner could have tax-reductions for renovating and then renting there property

Problem

The rents are far to high and the renovation work that was carried out was badly done

No double glazing,electric central heating and the ceilings are far to high meaning that it costs a fortune to heat them

No garage no garden and no-where to park a car and the noise!

They are nearly impossible to rent out

Slum Homes

These are on the increase due to the fact that it will cost the council a fortune to renovate them

Also the fact that shop-keepers on the ground floor blocked off all access to the empty flats up-stairs many years ago does not help!

BTW The readers comments are good

"In front of you the locals are all smiles but when you turn your back they will put a knife in it"

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2009/01/06/517646-carcassonne-plus-de-3600-logements-vacants-dans-l-agglomeration.html

Just going back to my previous post actually things are getting better in Carcassonne because in 2009 there were 3,600 empty homes in Carcassonne

3324 today compared with 3,600 in 2009

Carcassonne wil be full in 2040 :lol:

According to the DDE the total amount of property in Carcassonne went from 30,792 in 1999 to 33,900 in 2003

Due to the Robien Law the number of empty homes over the same period went from 2,500 to 3,600

2004 1,750 new homes built in the same suburb

2007 542 empty in the same area or one in three etc

BTW they cheated on the 12% figure there are actually over 4,000 empty properties in Carcassonne

http://www.la-croix.com/Actualite/S-informer/France/A-Menton-les-retraites-savourent-leur-vie-au-soleil-_EG_-2012-01-19-759826

A town in the south of France where property pices are going up!

La Croix

The Cross 19/1/12

A Menton les retraites savourent leur vie au soliel

In Menton the retired savour there life in the sun

Menton the french song by Francois Deguelt naturally comes to your heart

Yes here "theres the sky,the sun and the sea"

Today in january even if there a few clouds on the horizon the soft climate rules

Some even throw there towels on the beach even though it is deserted

Two streets further on twenty persons play games that are not at all adventure games (card games)

The council 'Menton Plus' offer activities for the retired of Menton

La Belle Vie

Here it is paradise says Lucilla 78 years old

Who came to Menton the town of citrons

Today Menton has the record of retired in France over 30% of the population

Carmen 71 years old says

"We have the mountains the sea and the quality of life here is fantastic, why go looking else-where?"

Michele 67 years old says

"We are happy in the sun"

Of course this rush of grey hairs to live in Menton has changed the town

Property prices have exploded !

"Before there were 55 hotels full of tourists!"

"At 3 am the streets were full"

"Today everything has been turned into a rich retired home for OAPs nothing happens .The young have fled and we are together amongst the old" says Max

But lots of retired are happy

We live far away from daily problems, unemployment,violence,economic problems don't concern us

The local council spoil us and we live in a bubble

Ginette 83 years old says

"People should stop complaining they want everything straight away.Theres work but the young are lazy the local boulanger found a young worker but he was to lazy to go to work"

Carmen says

"My mother had to wash my hair at the local lavoir outside there was no running water then"

"We were fighters then!" says Laurence 88 years old

"I worked 60 hours a week "says Gigi "I merit a good retirement"

Now leave us alone its time to play cards!

http://anglaisendordogne.blogspot.com/

Britannique en Dordogne

British in Dordogne 3/1/11

Our subject is the integration of the British in the Dordogne

Lycèe "Jay de Beaufort"

High School Jay de Beaufort

Written by Marie,Sophie ,Arthur and lucas ( A French school study of the British)

This short but telling article is actually a school project and its divided into several sectors such as

The history of the Dordogne

Welcome to the heart of English Dordogne

The reasons why they left the UK

The fall of Thatcher

The rejection of Tony Blair

Cheap Property

There arrival in France

Integration 3 types

Those that want to but can't due to the language barrier

Also in part due to there late age for learning French

Those that integrate due to there children that learn to speak French in school

Not forgetting those that don't want to integrate

With there "English only zones" and there 'little England ' and 'merry England' mentality

Cheap flights

English newspapers

The French that hate the English (with a link)

Anglais hors de France

English out of France

There total rejection radical ,excessive and racist against the English

French shool childrens discrimination against the British

As Emily James 13 years old says (quote)

She arrived in the Dordogne at the difficult age of 13

In her classroom the French pupils were often agressive and cheeky towards her

Emily did not speak French also she did not want to come to live in France and leave all of her friends behind her in the UK

The language barrier was terrible

She had to put up with those who mocked and badly treat her at school

Emily says "it was horrible"

Makes a change to see what the school kids have to say !

BTW a good article with lots of telling photos

- from link - je me demande où est Jeanne d'Arc pour bouter à nouveau les Anglais hors de la Dordogne !!!

Sounds like my missus, she's always whinging about "English" benefit scroungers (although they are often Scots she's talking about).

Sounds like my missus, she's always whinging about "English" benefit scroungers (although they are often Scots she's talking about).

TBH these four French teenage students in there school were only quoting "jacks blog" that dates back to january 2006

Its amazing just how fast times can change!

They mentioned several English newspapers in the Dordogne such as 'The French Newspaper' well it no longer exists also it was never in France

Yorkshire actually not forgetting 'The Link' which hasn't been updated since 2009

'The Advertiser' part of French Connexion you pay but i am not sure if it still exists

They all have one thing in common not one of them are based in France

They just pretend to be in France!

The figures given by the students for the British population in the Dordogne are misleading

They say 3,000 with an estimated 6,000 not alot for France's 4th largest dept

The last census 5 years ago states 12,500 Britsh living in the Dordogne

Yes its census year this year in France!

Actually i am surprised that it has not been mentioned else-where but holiday home owners pretending to live in France probably do not know because they will not recieve it by the post

A local council worker will knock on your door and they will give you a few forms to fill in

Date of birth ,your country of origin where do you work etc

This year is different there is a blue form that you have to fill in

The property form

Do you rent?

Do you own your property?

Do you rent furnished or un furnished property etc etc

Why a property form for a population census ?

They are collecting data

BTW your Friggit graph that you took from Immo-Danger (orange inside) is misleading

It does not show property prices it shows something -else!

Actually the new CGT tax law comes into effect tomorrow with its new 30 year rule!

Talking about taxes in France

Don't do what this unemployed architect did last week

He was in debt the tax man here wanted 26,000 euros from him

He had been unemployed for the last two years

Spent his time bringing up his two kids

He walked into the tax office told the staff that he was going to shoot himself

Went outside into the yard took out a revolver and in front of the staff and public

Pointed the gun at his head and commited suicide!

I need something similar for the latest CGT ruling, if anyone has one.

I have one !

What do you want to know?

Seeing as you say that you are a "property expert" surely you should know?

Why don't you just ask the french tax office the same question?

The simple and easy way

Why don't you just ask the same question on a happy France forum ?

Full of lots of useless information and there English class system!

Its really simple

As from today you will have to keep your holiday for 30 years so when you sell you do not pay CGT

In reality this actually means 23 years when compared to the previous law

But its going to be changed again

Did you watch Sarko last sunday night?

New taxes yes

And guess what when it comes to holiday homes (even though the new tax law has not yet been voted)

Having said that you are a property expert not me

Please tell me what he is going to do ?

Ouch!

The property form

Do you rent?

Do you own your property?

Do you rent furnished or un furnished property etc etc

Why a property form for a population census ?

They are collecting data

"they", that is the fisc, know a lot of this already, your local mairie almost certainly know a lot more about your circumstances.

"they", that is the fisc, know a lot of this already, your local mairie almost certainly know a lot more about your circumstances.

My fault i should have said INSEE in the first place!

TBH i am not so sure if your local mairie really know a lot about your situation its up to you to contact them they won't go looking for you

When it comes to real administration or red tape then its your préfecture that really counts

BTW its cold here now -12c lots of snow in the alps

At least it is now heading west to Brittany where theres a weather alert due to heavy snow that will arrive this weekend

I would not like to be driving around Brittany this weekend !